Classless Horachek move at Leafs - Preds.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Reimer was in net for like 2 minutes. The Goals weren't berniers fault.

You're making stuff up about Reimer being hurt buy it.

So dumb.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think Leafs fans overrate Reimer quite a bit, but that's just a terrible coaching decision. Your team turned it around with Reimer in net and you pull him out? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Oilers offer a 3rd round pick + Martin Gernat.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is the way I see it. Bernier is the Leafs #1 Goalie and I assume he told Horachek he felt fine and was able to return. So because the Leafs were winning he decided to put him back in the net. Had the Leafs been losing I don't think he does that. Had Reimer stayed in chances are Nashville scores those same two goals.

janecky

Oct 8, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
He did what any coach would do. If your starter has to leave the game momentarily through no fault of his own, he goes back in if he can and wants to play. The only thing classless would be not to put that goalie back in.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
He did what any coach would do. If your starter has to leave the game momentarily through no fault of his own, he goes back in if he can and wants to play. The only thing classless would be not to put that goalie back in.

He did get 12 stitches. I haven't played goal but I doubt anyone would feel 100% after getting an injury that required that many stitches.

And how would it be classless to not put such a goalie in?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Wouldn't a more classless thing have been when a head coach changes Goalies right before a shootout? In that situation one Goalie played a total of 65:00 minutes and won't even factor in the win or lose. I remember Ron Wilson did that during the 2008-2009 season right before a Leafs-Ducks shootout when he replaced Vesa Toskala for Curtis Joseph, because Toskala didn't have the best shootout record. I also remember the Oilers doing that a few times before several shootouts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How is this disrespectful?

Bernier was the starting goalie. He thought he was cut so he went to the room for repairs. He came back and was put back in net. If this was Price and Tokarski would it even be a thread? Bernier is our starter.
This is how I see it too. It's not like Bernier was yanked for ***** and giggles and then put back in.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I don't think that move was "classless"
However, I can see how a few people might be upset by it. Personally, If my team is down 2-0 and after a goalie switch (whether if it was for a cut or not makes no difference) suddenly your team is up 3-2, I'd ride the momentum and go from there. It's not like anything was going right before so why revert back just because bernier was the starter?

But that's just me and most leafs fans will probably disagree :laugh:

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
Oh boy reimer was devaster? Hes a grown man and professional.

He made 4 saves when he came in and none of them were quality chances. He made zero impact while out there. Canf believe im reading some say reimer brought ghem back.

Personally i would have stuck with reimer but enough is enough hes a back up.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
An elite level goalie would be able to steal games and avoid such a bad losing streak. Bernier would be a Back-up on just about every other team.

No, the Leafs have been atrocious and they let up way too many prime scoring chances with poor defensive coverage. The first goal last night was a perfect example, terrible giveaway by Kadri gave Jones a clear cut breakaway where he takes a perfect shot to shelf it. Kadri can't be criticized because he's the golden boy so I guess it's Bernier's fault.

The leafs scored one or less goals ten times in the month of January. Basically, we'd need someone to get 5+ shutouts a month just to have a chance of posting a .500 winning percentage. The last time that a goalie had 5+ shutouts in a month was in the low scoring 90s with Dominik Hasek on a team that wasn't nearly as terrible defensively as the Leafs.

I know Toronto loves to make scapegoats of its goalies and I actually don't think Bernier has been great lately, but the last thing that is wrong with this team is Bernier (or Reimer for that matter).

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
It completely changed the mental makeup of his team. They immediately went from playing with confidence to a defense structure as soon as Bernier came in. These are the type of moves that Pittsburgh made when they were tanking for Lemeiux. My question is, who really made that call? Shanahan?

Davebo*

How can people not see this as a disrespectful play? You don't just pull a goalie for absolutely no reason when they've brought you back.

Bad coaching doesn't mean he's being disrespectful. Coach has a plan for his goaltenders - who's playing where and when going ahead. Reimer did his job - that should be it - full stop.

Now - was the coach oblivious to the momentum shift? Maybe - if so - - disrespect due to idiocy?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Bernier gets cut and has to leave for repairs, and Reimer goes in, team losing 2-0. They get 3 goals and Reimer made a few huge saves, the momentum shifted.

Bernier comes back on the bench, and Horachek pulls Reimer, and Bernier lets in one the next few shots.

Reimer looked devastated.

This is not classless. Not even close. It is just a dumb coaching move.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Reimer apologist, yeah. I don't care who the two goalies are, it's a disrespectful move.

I think its a lot more disrespectful to not return the starting goalie to the net when he's ready to go back. Bernier didn't leave the game due to his play. If a guy leaves the game to get patched up or for an equipment issue, when he comes back, he goes back in.

If a forward took a stick to the face and went to the room for stitches, would it be "disrespectful" when that guy came back to re-insert him onto the line he was playing on and bounce whoever filled in for him back down to their previous line?

Of course not.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Horacek is trying to tank, it's been pretty obvious given that he continues to use Clarkson on the PP.

That guy used Fleischmann on the point for the PP.

Twas an amazing viewing experience watching Fleischmann and Campbell pass the puck to one another for 30 seconds till one got the courage to fire off a 50mph slapshot.

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
Reimer isn't the #1! If Bernier can play he plays. How is that disrespectful. Reimer needs to know his role. I'm so sick of the Reimer apologists. He's a ****ing back-up.

Reimer got called in to replace Bernier, if Bernier can come back then Reimer sits. It's pretty damn simple.

NEWS FLASH!!! niether is bernier

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
I think its a lot more disrespectful to not return the starting goalie to the net when he's ready to go back. Bernier didn't leave the game due to his play. If a guy leaves the game to get patched up or for an equipment issue, when he comes back, he goes back in.

If a forward took a stick to the face and went to the room for stitches, would it be "disrespectful" when that guy came back to re-insert him onto the line he was playing on and bounce whoever filled in for him back down to their previous line?

Of course not.

Well said. :handclap:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Reimer played a little over 5 minutes and faced 4 shots........ He was barely in the game.

How does putting your starter back in when he was ready to go equate to some sort of a slam on Reimer?

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
Reimer played a little over 5 minutes and faced 4 shots........ He was barely in the game.

How does putting your starter back in when he was ready to go equate to some sort of a slam on Reimer?

People here don't really understand that. It's been said a few times, but the world "classless" is thrown around here as a catchphrase so much. Absolutely nothing classless with putting your #1 back in net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad