Post-Game Talk: Classic Oilers

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Not sorry I missed this one.. only two moments I got a chance we got two goals though.. it’s my fault :(

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hot take.

This team looks worse under Hitch than it did under McLellan. Last month we've been averaging less than 25 shots against a game. Routinely giving up 30-35+ against.

Klefbom is a big loss for sure. But this team is playing some of the most uninspiring hockey I can remember seeing.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Missed this one, except for the final seconds. Enough time to see Darnell's waist high stretch pass to Draisaitl. Somebody's gotta teach that kid how to make a f***ing pass.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
They're a disgrace and can some people stop with the BS injury excuse already (Bob Stauffer namely)? The Coyotes were missing about half their roster and they outworked, outskated, outshot and generally outplayed what should have been a desperate Oilers team.

I've given up on the playoffs a long time ago but I'd at least like to see a team that plays with some pride and this team consistently comes up short in that department. Yes, the roster is a disaster but when you add in a lack of effort, inability to go to the hard areas of the ice, create any chaos whatsoever in front of the net etc. and you get a really bad team. It's a McDavid injury away from being the worst team in the league quite likely. Screw for Chia and most of all, screw for Katz for being the ultimate enabler of this culture and allowing all this to happen for the last decade and in the process, ruining Oiler hockey for me and many others.

If McDavid got injured next game i don't think we'd win another game this season if he was out for the rest of it

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The reffing in that game was absolutely inexcusable. Twice in the span of five minutes a players stick (Jones 1st, can't remember who was 2nd) was grabbed and literally thrown right in front of the ref, who shrugged. McDavid was also slashed - in the face - and had to go to the bench because he was bleeding. The ref chooses to ignore it. Add that to the infinite cases of McDavid getting interfered, hooked, tripped, and slashed. Even on his first goal, he was being assaulted by three Coyotes, and the refs hand wasn't up.

But, this roster is also garbage. I see players like Nuge and Larsson being blamed here, and I don't deny that they had bad games, but we literally can't win a game unless our 5 or so good players play like All-Stars. In our last 12 games, we've gotten 1 goal that McDavid, Draisaitl, or Nuge didn't get a point on. Even that goal was Puljujarvi from Khaira, who were playing on the 2nd line at the time.

The blame should be purely pointed at the management for assembling a roster this bad in McDavid's 4th year. Everyone has to go, not just Chiarelli. The entire OBC as well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hot take.

This team looks worse under Hitch than it did under McLellan. Last month we've been averaging less than 25 shots against a game. Routinely giving up 30-35+ against.

Klefbom is a big loss for sure. But this team is playing some of the most uninspiring hockey I can remember seeing.

His style is grating, the team doesn't have the horses, and that's frustration setting in. But neither Hitch or really even McLellan were at fault. They're given crap to work with.

McDavid is great but you can't win in this league with 3 other lines as offensively deficient, it's not 2003 anymore.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hot take.

Yup. Not seeing what Hitchcock brings to the table. Isn't their team defense supposed to be better?

Not blaming the coach, but really.... Go give Quennville a call.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Arizona wins tomorrow night they move ahead of us in the standings.

We also currently have the 3rd worse goal differential in the division.

Only worse is LA and Anaheim who has lost 10 straight.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
upload_2019-1-12_23-2-5.png

OilersfaninTO

Nov 25, 2018
How long until Connor requests a trade? And I wouldn’t even blame him. He’s the best player on the planet and he’s wasting prime years trying keep this trash fire teams head barely above water. Imagine if he was on Tampa or Winnipeg or Toronto? 50+ goals, 70+ assists easy and a legitimate playoff threat every year. He must be cursing the lottery balls that brought him here. The OBC and Chiarelli don’t deserve him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hot take.

Yep, I said that several games back. Even the 8-2 stretch under Hitch was uninspiring for the most part, carried by unsustainably hot goaltending and a lot of luck.
Is there one game you can point to in the Hitch era and say that they dictated the pace and clearly outplayed a team? I can think of one which was the Wild game, that's probably it.

At least under Mclellan, they looked great some nights. They were outplaying teams, and some elite teams, in that early season 8-2 stretch. Not the case under Hitch. The roster is obviously the biggest issue but he has somehow made it even worse.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
The reffing in that game was absolutely inexcusable. Twice in the span of five minutes a players stick (Jones 1st, can't remember who was 2nd) was grabbed and literally thrown right in front of the ref, who shrugged. McDavid was also slashed - in the face - and had to go to the bench because he was bleeding. The ref chooses to ignore it. Add that to the infinite cases of McDavid getting interfered, hooked, tripped, and slashed. Even on his first goal, he was being assaulted by three Coyotes, and the refs hand wasn't up.

But, this roster is also garbage. I see players like Nuge and Larsson being blamed here, and I don't deny that they had bad games, but we literally can't win a game unless our 5 or so good players play like All-Stars. In our last 12 games, we've gotten 1 goal that McDavid, Draisaitl, or Nuge didn't get a point on. Even that goal was Puljujarvi from Khaira, who were playing on the 2nd line at the time.

The blame should be purely pointed at the management for assembling a roster this bad in McDavid's 4th year. Everyone has to go, not just Chiarelli. The entire OBC as well.

Like i've said before the NHL has the worst reffing in any sport bar none. That being said this roster is garbage and can barely get over 20 shots a game while also losing like 60+% of the faceoffs in every single game as well

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm pretty sure Katz does watch the games, it was mentioned earlier in the season, he basically watches all of them. I'm not sure he really keeps tabs on the NHL as a whole though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Re-read the rule... visible blood on jersey.
Rule 8 – Injured Players – 8.3 - Blood – A player who is bleeding or who has visible blood on his equipment or body shall be Ruled off the ice at the next stoppage of play until the bleeding has been stopped and the cut or abrasion covered (if necessary).

It says nothing about having to go clean your jersey. The rule is there to make sure you don't have a bleeding playing skating around the ice. He got cut, was checked, no longer bleeding and was allowed on the ice.

BeanBurrito

Nov 8, 2018
Remember the "Lowe must go" days? Imagine if we knew we would have a possibly even more inept manager in the future.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Preferential treatment at practice?
He has 3 forwards that he has to overplay night in night out for the roster to look even like an NHL team, so they don't get as much practice time or else they won't have energy to play at games.

He is line blending now cause it's greatly terrible our forward core is. He is moving **** around to try something cause nothing is working.[/QUOTE

But when Tm did the line blending, people were all over him. Now with Hotxh doing the same bloody thing , he HAS to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad