Post-Game Talk: Classic Oilers

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
This would imply a coaching issue.
Oh please. Not this. Again.
No, by that he means (I think) that you are asking players to play hockey at a far higher level than they are capable of.
Although I heard from so many it was TMacs fault.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oh please. Not this. Again.
No, by that he means (I think) that you are asking players to play hockey at a far higher level than they are capable of.
Although I heard from so many it was TMacs fault.
But is that really the case? We have FIVE forwards with more than 10 points. Chiasson has more goals than the rest of the wingers on the team combined.

No doubt this roster is garbage but a lot of these players are simply not playing hard enough and wait for McDavid to bail them out (a sentiment seemingly echoed by our management).

There are many nights where this team is going to get outskilled. But getting outworked consistently (as in more than half the season) is simply unacceptable.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
But is that really the case? We have FIVE forwards with more than 10 points. Chiasson has more goals than the rest of the wingers on the team combined.

No doubt this roster is garbage but a lot of these players are simply not playing hard enough and wait for McDavid to bail them out (a sentiment seemingly echoed by our management).

There are many nights where this team is going to get outskilled. But getting outworked consistently (as in more than half the season) is simply unacceptable.

What I mean is it's not their fault that they aren't good enough. Most of them would be bit players on most teams,but they're being asked to play better than they can.

I wanted to see the roster with a new coach to decide how bad it was. I didn't like MacLellan or his silly old systems, but Chiarelli didn't give him much to work with. Then he went and gave Hitchcock even less.

Reactions: RegDunlop

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What I mean is it's not their fault that they aren't good enough. Most of them would be bit players on most teams,but they're being asked to play better than they can.

I wanted to see the roster with a new coach to decide how bad it was. I didn't like MacLellan or his silly old systems, but Chiarelli didn't give him much to work with. Then he went and gave Hitchcock even less.
I understand that. There's a ton of blame to go around.

But I thought hardass Hitch would make them work harder when they seem to be even less engaged than they were under the previous coach.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I understand that. There's a ton of blame to go around.

But I thought hardass Hitch would make them work harder when they seem to be even less engaged than they were under the previous coach.

I agree. But when your boss is allowed to be completely incompetent, would you do anything more than just collect your paycheck? It has to be beyond frustrating in that room right now.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
My problem is some people say they aren't trying, which I believe is false.

They are being asked to play way above their skill level. It's not their fault that guys on the other team are better than them.

Plus, it has to be hard to play for an organization that obviously condones incompetence. Why try when failure isn't punished?

I wanted to give extra credit for this profound thought. It really captures it and is signature worthy. In management in this org there is unconditional regard and lack of consequence. That gets noted. I doubt players that come here take this org seriously. You see bits of it with the Whitney types that are more outspoken, where they feel free to mock the org. Theres been more than a few that came in here and never really wanted to be. As a fan you get used to noting it. Hired guns that don't fire. Or at leat not here.

We have Connor McDavid, and this is still not a great place to land.

Reactions: Missing smitty

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
The Oilers lacked an intense response after Garland's goal early in the third. Something seemed off witih Draisaitl after he crashed into the endboards, toward the end of the game. He wasn't focused and he wasn't making effective decisions with the puck like he usually is and does.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
The Oilers lacked an intense response after Garland's goal early in the third. Something seemed off witih Draisaitl after he crashed into the endboards, toward the end of the game. He wasn't focused and he wasn't making effective decisions with the puck like he usually is and does.

He's been playing hurt for two weeks. Got a lower body injury in a game that cused him a lot of trouble getting to the bench. Has not been the same since. I doubt he's at 100% He's having a harder time absorbing hits now and is in pain. Its harder to make good decisions with that. look how Klefbom or Sekera was impacted last season or Larsson this season. Its harder to play and think the game in pain.

Reactions: Hippasus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->