Post-Game Talk: Classic Oilers

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Keith Gretzky drafted OEL, Pastranak, and McAvoy, as far as I'm concerned he can stay in a management role.

Whoever is the next GM better have a ****ing brain though, and no, "dur hur, I didn't know any better" doesn't cut it. You're in the hot seat for a reason.

He will probably be our next GM because of who he is related to and not because of any successes in drafting. That’s not how you pick a GM unless you’re in the Oilers OBC or Hokkey Kanada Klub.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You seem to really be discrediting the coyotes for some reason. They are 7th overall for GAA at 2.6 per game.

I don't really care about the Coyotes. It's this team I'm interested in and quite frankly they're not very good.

If you're gonna do the whole "we're built from the goalie out!" routine, you better have a top end goalie back there, and the Oilers basically have two modes

1.) Ride McDavid

or

2.) Ride the goalie.

Unfortunately for them no.2 hasn't been working since 2016-17 because they don't have the type of goalie you need for that to work (see: Calgary Flames 2003-04). If you want to be a boring, grind team that wins 2-1 like the 03-04 Flames, fine, but you better damn well have Kipprusoff back there.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
he's the root of the problem, blaming management is a feel good release.
I know we can't fire the owner, but get used to bad mangement after another....
as long as Katz owns this team, we'll ALWAYS be blaming management.

Or he could just take 15 minutes and hire someone else.

At this point I don't even think it's possible to hire a dumber manager. Like there's literally no one available unless you hire Milbury.

Jay Feaster at this point would be a large upgrade.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
he's the root of the problem, blaming management is a feel good release.
I know we can't fire the owner, but get used to bad mangement after another....
as long as Katz owns this team, we'll ALWAYS be blaming management.

I blame Katz for his putrid oversight of the team. 0 playoff revenue might drive change this off season. One can hope.

Reactions: Oilhawks

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I blame Katz for his putrid oversight of the team. 0 playoff revenue might drive change this off season. One can hope.
what change though?
I don't care who he hires, as long as he owns the team, he runs it....it might make you feel good for a moment, but not me.
in the end, it will still be a Katz run team, the worst in all of pro sports.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

He'll obviously be fired without the precious playoff revenue (plan the parade!), that said the damage in a lot of ways is already done. It will take a while to clean this mess up. We wasted 2, maybe 3 years going forward on this stupid GM because this franchise got waaaaay too caught up in 16-17 feelings like a stupid love sick teenager.

This franchise cannot handle any success whatsoever without going off the deep end, one good year and they think it's mission accomplished.

Last edited:

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Talbot has 4 wins in his last 14 games.

Way to help the team when it needs you.
I'm not a Talbot supporter by any means, I think hes been pretty bad for the last two years, but i wouldnt put tonight on him anyway.

What I dont understand is why he feels the need to leave the crease all the time, he turns the puck over and is out of position almost every time. On the third goal the puck went right behind him and ricoched off the glass... Why the f*** did he leave the crease? What was he going to accomplish leaving with five players around him? Hold your position dude. Garland basically pushed the puck into an empty net

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
as long as Katz owns the team, We can go out,and get Scotty Bowman, Steve Yzerman Mngnt with Joel Q as HC and we'll still lose more than we win.

I don't buy that. Plenty of teams have dumb ass owners, heck the 80s Oilers with Pocklington is one example.

Krause/Reinsdorf were morons in Chicago, they got gift wrapped Michael Jordan and then basically all they did was in 8 years manage to get one other really good player (Pippen) and became a dynasty.

The Golden State Warriors, probably the most dominant modern pro sports franchise ... they were crap for like 20 straight years before this championship era.

Not a chance if Yzerman was given this team in 2015 that they would be in this spot, forget even Quineville and Bowman.

Reactions: RegDunlop

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
what change though?
I don't care who he hires, as long as he owns the team, he runs it....it might make you feel good for a moment, but not me.
in the end, it will still be a Katz run team, the worst in all of pro sports.

True enough. Change might be his outlook on how he decides to run the team. I won’t hold my breath though.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gotta roll with Koskinen the next few games. These losses weren't on Talbot but he's just not getting it done

Agreed. That said, I think teams have started to scout Koskinen more carefully of late too.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I don't really care about the Coyotes. It's this team I'm interested in and quite frankly they're not very good.

If you're gonna do the whole "we're built from the goalie out!" routine, you better have a top end goalie back there, and the Oilers basically have two modes

1.) Ride McDavid

or

2.) Ride the goalie.

Unfortunately for them no.2 hasn't been working since 2016-17 because they don't have the type of goalie you need for that to work (see: Calgary Flames 2003-04). If you want to be a boring, grind team that wins 2-1 like the 03-04 Flames, fine, but you better damn well have Kipprusoff back there.

You just said we should be able to score 4 no problem on them, which is false.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You just said we should be able to score 4 no problem on them, which is false.

You need to be able to score 4 goals on a semi-regular basis in the current league. This ain't 2003 anymore, it's 2019 and the league has changed, every good team can do that.

This team? Boo-hoo they go cry in a corner because they got two bad breaks go in on them and shut down shop after 2 goals unless Connor is coming to change their diaper for them.

Tough shit, you wanna be a good team, you come back from that and score 4 or (gasp OMG!!!!!) even 5 if necessary in a game like this. Every good team has done that multiple times this season, for this team that's like climbing Mount Everest.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You need to be able to score 4 goals on a semi-regular basis in the current league. This ain't 2003 anymore, it's 2019 and the league has changed, every good team can do that.

This team? Boo-hoo they go cry in a corner because they got two bad breaks go in on them and shut down shop after 2 goals unless Connor is coming to change their diaper for them.

Tough ****, you wanna be a good team, you come back from that and score 4 or (gasp OMG!!!!!) even 5 if necessary in a game like this. Every good team has done that multiple times this season, for this team that's like climbing Mount Everest.

6 times in the last 20 games vs the Coyotes teams have scored 4 on them.

Easy task he says.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
6 times in the last 20 games vs the Coyotes teams have scored 4 on them.

Easy task he says.

Do you want to make the playoffs?

If yes, then crying in the corner because you had a couple of bad bounces doesn't work.

Every team that's a good team in this league sucks it up and comes back from that on more than once in a blue moon.

This team craters and falls apart unless Daddy McDavid comes to bail them out.

They're not a good hockey team.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Do you want to make the playoffs?

If yes, then crying in the corner because you had a couple of bad bounces doesn't work.

Every team that's a good team in this league sucks it up and comes back from that on more than once in a blue moon.

This team craters and falls apart unless Daddy McDavid comes to bail them out.

They're not a good hockey team.

You just keep spewing unreasonable facts.

Reactions: nabob

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You just keep spewing unreasonable facts.

You need to be able to score 4 goals some nights. Especially against a team that's missing like 1/3 of its roster on the IR. With the way this league is now, more nights than before.

If you can't, step aside because someone else is passing you.

That's not really opinion, that's fact, that's the NHL. If that's "too hard" well, tough shit. It's supposed to be hard.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We are .1 Goal per game (Currently 2.8 GPG) from being in 14th place in the NHL for overall scoring.

When your giving up more then your scoring there is a problem.

Talbot has over a 3 GAA average. He has a losing record.

Koski has 2.7 GAA average, he has a winning record.

Koski GAA the last how many ever has been bad, hence why hes losing.

Ottawa is scoring 3.2 GPG and is ranked 9th in scoring.
They have a losing record, cause there GAA is 3.64

Anderson is giving that team Talbot quality goaltending.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You need to be able to score 4 goals some nights. Especially against a team that's missing like 1/3 of its roster on the IR. With the way this league is now, more nights than before.

If you can't, step aside because someone else is passing you.

That's not really opinion, that's fact, that's the NHL. If that's "too hard" well, tough ****. It's supposed to be hard.

We have scored 4 goals 2 times in our last 4 games.

7 times in our last 17 games.

To say we arent doing it some nights is just wrong.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We have scored 4 goals 2 times in our last 4 games.

7 times in our last 17 games.

To say we arent doing it some nights is just wrong.

They're not doing it enough. The fact that this team is on pace for 82 points ... a whopping 4 point improvement over last year's disaster says that quite plainly.

You're not going to be able to play 2-1 hockey in this current NHL era which is becoming far more about offence, and you couldn't even do that in the old NHL unless you had a rock solid top 5 Vezina tier goalie.

This team is mediocre. Bottom 10 in the NHL for scoring with Connor McDavid on it is embarrassing. The rebuilding Red Wings have more goals scored, so do the Canucks despite Petterson missing like 1/3 of their games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad