Speculation: Clarkson and Elias

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah extrapolating stats are tough but we're talking about a guy who is under thirty and scores a good chunk of his goals Holmstrom style so I doubt that dries up completely.

If it means having a 20 goal guy for 4 million that can pla on the PP and one of the top lines to protect Datsyuk or Zetterberg I'm alright with it. I would rather do that than have a pure goon on the fourth line personally. Although if I were Holland I would take a serious look at Bourdeleau

I'd be more open to it, if we had more scoring to surround a guy like Clarkson. If we're going for a big body, and looking to spend around the $5m Clarkson is rumored to be looking at, I'd probably go with Horton. Not as physical, but still a big body, still willing to go to the net, and more likely to put up the goals that would justify the money. After that, probably Clowe, mostly because he's a bit bigger and he's put up a string of 55+ point seasons.

With our roster crunch, though, I'd put a premium on adding a goal scorer before anything. If we want to try to add a big guy, with some skill and some fighting ability, our best bet is probably a trade, though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
For what it's worth. Devils fans think

Clarkson isn't worth more than 4 mil.

5 mil would be ********

He's really not top 6 winger.

He plays there by default, not bc he's that good.

He started the season very, very hot.

He has 4 goals in his last 31 games. I repeat, 4 goals in last 31 games. And 7 points.

You wanna pay 5 mil for that?

Yeah but I tend to think that fans of teams having disappointing seasons pile it on to a few guys and rag on them pretty hard. I'm sure Clarkson hasnt been as bad as Devil fans let on but theyre frustrated with him because he hasnt done much lately. Hes not a skill guy so when he isnt scoring hes not doing anything flashy and they rip on him more than they should.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Yeah but I tend to think that fans of teams having disappointing seasons pile it on to a few guys and rag on them pretty hard. I'm sure Clarkson hasnt been as bad as Devil fans let on but theyre frustrated with him because he hasnt done much lately. Hes not a skill guy so when he isnt scoring hes not doing anything flashy and they rip on him more than they should.

I think Clarkson was grossly overachieving, TBH. He kind of has stone hands and was playing outside of his realistic pace. But if we're going to overpay for a middle 6 forward, I'd rather it be a Clarkson type than Filppula type.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
For what it's worth. Devils fans think

Clarkson isn't worth more than 4 mil.

5 mil would be ********

He's really not top 6 winger.

He plays there by default, not bc he's that good.

He started the season very, very hot.

He has 4 goals in his last 31 games. I repeat, 4 goals in last 31 games. And 7 points.

You wanna pay 5 mil for that?

to be fair, filppula has just 5 goals and 9pts in his last 31 games and is a minus 9 in that span

so thats as follows

filppula, 5 goals, 9pts, -9, 4pims, 14 hits, 0 fights

clarkson, 4 goals, 7pts, -11, 52pims, 55hits, 6 fights

i wouldnt want to pay either guy 5million but for equal offensive production over some random 31 game sample, i would prefer the guy who when not scoring brings it in other ways to, ways equally as important to the game of hockey at the NHL level

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
What the what??? Have people gone crazy?

I don't care how many god damn intangibles you bring to the table, NO forward whose BEST season is 45 points while getting 3 minutes of PP time per game is worth $5M. And people here are complaining about $2.8M for Cleary? Wait til Clarkson is making $5M and on pace for 35 points. :laugh:

I disagree, he's worth around 5M for 2-3yrs. I'd be happy with that contract. It's not a super long term deal but enough time to gauge him so come re-sign or extension time we can decide what the best course is. He just brings so much more than scoring. He's a gritty physical hard working player and that seems to rub off on other hockey players.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I disagree, he's worth 5M for 2-3yrs. I'd be happy with that contract. It's not a super long term deal but enough time to gauge him so come re-sign or extension time we can decide what the best course is.

He only gets one contract really so he will cash in same problem we just ran into with Howard and why Filppula won't budge. That also means in terms of length of contract for most guys.

Now we have what we have for 10 years, but it would be very interesting with contract max lengths allowed if the UFA age could drop that would be huge. You don't need to worry about something stupid like the Weber deal being thrown at a player because of the term limits, so I think this allows for a drop of the arbitration years. Say it was at 25 with the years of service down, it would open up free agency in a big way. You would still have to sign a bridge contract on the elite players, it would force younger players in and help fix some of the stagnation we see now. I understand why both the owners and players favor this system, for now at least it protects some of the vets jobs (see this disappearing as the middle class of the NHLPA goes away but whatever) and the owners get a lengthy control over their draft picks. The problem is for a lot of these guys there is very little movement and they basically score one big contract for the most part. I wonder what dropping the UFA age would do for that?

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not that I want to sign Clarkson @ $5m per year, but who exactly is like Clarkson on our roster right now?

I was gonna say that lol, even if you dont like the idea of signing him he definitely isnt redundant. He and Tootoo fight but are very different players, Clarkson is a righty which the wings lack, hes a good net front guy on the PP and is capable of playing in the top 6

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Wings need to not sign players who were born when Gerald Ford was still president.

Clarkson looks very redundant on this roster.

Don't think he would be redundant considering wings are moving to a tougher eastern conference and the top 6 needs a guy who can protect the zetterberg, datsyuk etc and still be able to skate and produce points with them.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Don't think he would be redundant considering wings are moving to a tougher eastern conference and the top 6 needs a guy who can protect the zetterberg, datsyuk etc and still be able to skate and produce points with them.

I couldn't have said it better and as I said before he's a gritty, tough, hard working player who doesn't give up on plays. That kind of play usually rubs off on other players (especially younger players!!)!!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The only way I don't see him signing in NJ is if the completely lowball him but Lou isn't that kind of a GM.

It's kinda funny that you mentioned that since Lou kinda lowballed Rafalski which led him to sign with Detroit. Rafalski was willing to give the Devils a (figurative) hometown discount. He had signed a two year contract after the lockout at 4.2 mil/per. Allegedly, Lou offered him two years at 4.4 per to stay. Rafalski signing with Detroit was one of those rare cases where the fan base seemed to be completely understanding with the player leaving.

--------------

Clarkson's next contract scares me. He's been a loyal guy and his production in recent years has been great. But at 4+ million, I'd be hesitant. I just don't like having to rely on Clarkson's production. It's better when he's a secondary guy that's chipping in offense. Last year, he was mostly on the third line while getting 1st unit PP time. That seems like the ideal role for Clarkson.

As for Elias, I hope the team just keeps him so he can retire as a career Devil. Elias had a better offer from the Rangers in 2006, but took a discount to stay with New Jersey.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If it comes down to Clarkson at 5m or Filppula, I think it's a no brainer.

Yes, NEITHER.

Really... Clarkson for 5 million? Holy smokes. He has 1 and 1/2 good seasons. It's the same thing as Filppula.

I'm fine with getting Clarkson because he addresses some needs. But definitely not for 5 million. If that's what it takes for him then I'll pass.

That's some pretty bad overpayment. I'd rather have Clowe for 5 or Jagr for 5 over Clarkson.

It's funny now that we're a lot more desperate that we are campaigning for deals that 2-3 years ago everyone would have said were overpayments. Guess the times change...

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
He's on pace for another 25+ goal season, I think he would be a fantastic add at the right price.

Yeah. He's outpacing Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen. I'm sure he'd be scoring 25+ goals on this team. Dude is David Jones, Marty Lapointe. Gritty guy that scores a lot for a few seasons but can't make a play unless everything is going his way.

These guys are never worth $5M for more than a season.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Yes, NEITHER.

Really... Clarkson for 5 million? Holy smokes. He has 1 and 1/2 good seasons. It's the same thing as Filppula.

I'm fine with getting Clarkson because he addresses some needs. But definitely not for 5 million. If that's what it takes for him then I'll pass.

That's some pretty bad overpayment. I'd rather have Clowe for 5 or Jagr for 5 over Clarkson.

It's funny now that we're a lot more desperate that we are campaigning for deals that 2-3 years ago everyone would have said were overpayments. Guess the times change...

My sentiments exactly.

Neither player is worth $5M this year or ever. Sure, if Filppula had Clarkson's physicality. Sure, if Clarkson had Filppula's skill. But they don't. It's amazing how Filppula's "flash" a few years ago and Clarkson's gritty goal scoring for a season and a half clouds people's thinking. Any team that signs either guy for big money will be wishing they hadn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad