Speculation: Clarkson and Elias

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
and that's funny because in 09-10 Filppula through 55 games was on pace for a 64 point season too. So they both have one good season under their belts and one partial season where they were on pace to have a good season. I understand he brings another dimension, just think the whole thing is very hypocritical.

Yeah, I generally point out the missing time Filppula season where he paced out well, don't remember it being that high thought it was mid 50's. In any event, Clarkson is coming off two strong back to back season and he plays the game in the grimy areas. I don't know which way or the other, it could end up being a dreadful contract. But he brings a skill set we don't have. If Filppula can't really anchor a top six line at center he does not and if he cannot be a consistent point producing winger while being a shifty perimeter player than my point was I give the five million to Clarkson. We have guys that do what Filppula does and when he doesn't show up he doesn't show up at all.

I do have a feeling Clarkson is going to become like Malone in Tampa. Hopefully without the injuries, but a player when he has the big ticket salary well, his effort isn't really appreciated anymore because he is paid top dollar. I am just saying of the guys that play that type of game he does intrigue me. Torres is also very interesting but likely to produce less than Clarkson. A real doozy would be getting both of them and trimming the fat somewhere else.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Filppula is a fluke, but everyone wants David Clarkson...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I guess the grass really is greener on the other side!

I don't look at it as Flip vs Clarkson

for me its

Flip out - Nyquist/ Tatar in

Cleary out - Clarkson in (middle 6 guy [2nd/3rd liner] that plays a lot of special teams)

But yes, Clarkson is not what he looks like, I fully expect him to come falling back to earth next season.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'd be all for making a run at Patty Elias, He's been one of my favorite players for a while now. I'd give him the 5 million Filppula is looking for, for 2 years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, I generally point out the missing time Filppula season where he paced out well, don't remember it being that high thought it was mid 50's. In any event, Clarkson is coming off two strong back to back season and he plays the game in the grimy areas. I don't know which way or the other, it could end up being a dreadful contract. But he brings a skill set we don't have. If Filppula can't really anchor a top six line at center he does not and if he cannot be a consistent point producing winger while being a shifty perimeter player than my point was I give the five million to Clarkson. We have guys that do what Filppula does and when he doesn't show up he doesn't show up at all.

I do have a feeling Clarkson is going to become like Malone in Tampa. Hopefully without the injuries, but a player when he has the big ticket salary well, his effort isn't really appreciated anymore because he is paid top dollar. I am just saying of the guys that play that type of game he does intrigue me. Torres is also very interesting but likely to produce less than Clarkson. A real doozy would be getting both of them and trimming the fat somewhere else.

You are overthinking my post a bit. I'm not trying to ignite a Filppula vs Clarkson debate. I just think it's funny everyone here rags on Fil and says he has 1 fluke year, but now people want Clarkson who has a 30 goal season than doesn't even have another year where he cracks 20. It is just amusing to me. That is really all.

I think sometimes if Filppula was on another team getting ready to hit UFA there would be threads on our board saying we should go out and get him. :laugh: As long as it's something new and exciting!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
They better make a run at Clarkson. Theyre gonna need a decent top 6 tough guy to ride shotgun with the star players in that division next year

People are going to see Hollands soft, skilled philosophy change really fast or the wings are going to get pounded

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Clarkson is getting 5 million and he might be worth it, I don't know wouldn't hate that signing if they do it. Like paying Clarkson more than Horton which is thrown around here a decent amount.

What the what??? Have people gone crazy?

I don't care how many god damn intangibles you bring to the table, NO forward whose BEST season is 45 points while getting 3 minutes of PP time per game is worth $5M. And people here are complaining about $2.8M for Cleary? Wait til Clarkson is making $5M and on pace for 35 points. :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What the what??? Have people gone crazy?

I don't care how many god damn intangibles you bring to the table, NO forward whose BEST season is 45 points while getting 3 minutes of PP time per game is worth $5M. And people here are complaining about $2.8M for Cleary? Wait til Clarkson is making $5M and on pace for 35 points. :laugh:

It is what the market dictates. That is why all the capgeek friendly predictions make so little sense. Clarkson is the kind of guy that gets overpaid he just is.

It would be real nice if they got him for four million dollars, but I doubt that is what is going to happen.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
They better make a run at Clarkson. Theyre gonna need a decent top 6 tough guy to ride shotgun with the star players in that division next year

People are going to see Hollands soft, skilled philosophy change really fast or the wings are going to get pounded

Yeah, it will be worth seeing how aggressive Holland is at going after Clarkson, Clowe or Torres.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
It is what the market dictates. That is why all the capgeek friendly predictions make so little sense. Clarkson is the kind of guy that gets overpaid he just is.

And the market also said Colorado should pay David Jones and P.A. Parenteau the same amount.

We go through this literally every season. When will people start realizing that overpaying for "intangibles" never pans out. He's a ~40 point player who gets 3 minutes of PP time per game and wastes no energy on the PK. He's never going to be a consistent producer. You don't drop $5M into a player who is 29 years old, not going to get any better, has no defensive game, and will surely look for at least a 4 year deal just because he hits and can put up 40 points.

Clarkson is exactly the type of guy you mine for and cultivate. He is the exact type of player you should avoid like the plague during free agency.

JimLaheyprobert

Nov 19, 2012
If Clarkson doesn't resign with NJ, he will most likely end up in Toronto, hes from Toronto and since Toronto has been improving i bet he goes their. But in my opinion he stays in NJ.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Yeah, it will be worth seeing how aggressive Holland is at going after Clarkson, Clowe or Torres.

Clarkson and Clowe are going to demand insane amounts of money. I can't imagine Holland would be willing to drop $5M on either guy when he wasn't willing to drop $7M on legitimate players like Parise and Suter. And they likely aren't going to be worth it.

With that said, I would much rather pay Clowe $5M than Clarkson $5M. Its mind boggling how quickly Clarkson became overrated after a whopping 45 point season, and how quickly Clowe's goose egg through the first 30 games of the season erased 3 seasons of 55+ points.

Torres should be a no brainer now that he's got his attitude under control. He'll probably only cost $2.5M, considering he's perennially overlooked. At worst, you get a bigger, more productive version of Tootoo. At best, you get David Clarkson without the ugly cap hit.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Clarkson and Clowe are going to demand insane amounts of money. I can't imagine Holland would be willing to drop $5M on either guy when he wasn't willing to drop $7M on legitimate players like Parise and Suter. And they likely aren't going to be worth it.

With that said, I would much rather pay Clowe $5M than Clarkson $5M. Its mind boggling how quickly Clarkson became overrated after a whopping 45 point season, and how quickly Clowe's goose egg through the first 30 games of the season erased 3 seasons of 55+ points.

Torres should be a no brainer now that he's got his attitude under control. He'll probably only cost $2.5M, considering he's perennially overlooked. At worst, you get a bigger, more productive version of Tootoo. At best, you get David Clarkson without the ugly cap hit.

First of all, they were ready to drop 90 million on Suter for an 8.5 million caphit, they were a bit lower on Parise but not that far off.

Secondly, Cllarkson is a guy who scores goals and fights pretty well. I dunno if I would wanna pay 5 millino for him but I would rather pay that and have a 25 goal scorer that can fight on Datsyuks wing to protect him in that division. I would like Clowe as well but hes going to get paid more than Clarkson does.

As for Torres, you dont necessarily get a more productive version of Tootoo and if he is its marginal. Hes also a little bigger but he doesnt hit as hard. He head hunts. He also fights less than Abdelkader does and thats an aspect that the wings need to bring to this team for that division. Torres is a Tootoo who doesnt fight basically

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

We're skilled?

A couple of years ago, yeah, but you're not a skilled team if you're running Miller, Eaves, Gator, Andersson, Tootoo, and Emmerton out there most nights.

I'd love for us to have enough skill throughout our lineup to be a "skill" team again.

edit: also, being a bit generous calling Clarkson a 25 goal guy. He's broke 20 goals just once in a six year career. Maybe he'll do it again, especially if you forcefeed him enough minutes in the right situation.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Emmerton, Kindl, and Miller all have more goals than Clowe this year. He didn't have a single goal in 28 games before the trade.

No. Thanks.

Maybe for the minimum, I'd take a chance on him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
that's the problem with a lot of the bigger guys who are likely to hit the market this summer: all of them have question marks.

Clowe has had a rough year.
Penner's lost his form in LA.
Horton's had injury issues.
Clarkson's one big year could be a big outlier.
Iginla and Morrow are showing their ages.
Antropov is, well, Antropov.

If you want someone with size this summer, it looks like you're going to have to really roll the dice on someone.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
We're skilled?

A couple of years ago, yeah, but you're not a skilled team if you're running Miller, Eaves, Gator, Andersson, Tootoo, and Emmerton out there most nights.

I'd love for us to have enough skill throughout our lineup to be a "skill" team again.

edit: also, being a bit generous calling Clarkson a 25 goal guy. He's broke 20 goals just once in a six year career. Maybe he'll do it again, especially if you forcefeed him enough minutes in the right situation.
He scored 30 and would be on pace for over 20 this year. I guess maybe 25 is a bit generous but I would say hes a legit 20 goal guy who can fight and will stick up for his teammates. And if we dont have the skill like you say, then we shouldnt be spending big money on any players so overpaying for a guy to protect the young guys during the youth movement would be smart as well

Emmerton, Kindl, and Miller all have more goals than Clowe this year. He didn't have a single goal in 28 games before the trade.

No. Thanks.

Maybe for the minimum, I'd take a chance on him.

Clowe was playing hurt for a good chunk of this season and is still playing at a 50 point pace with that horrible start. To go with it he is a legit heavyweight fighter and has a track record of putting up ~45-60 points. But youre going to compare him to those guys?

I dont think Clowe is amazing by any means but hes exactly what the team will need. I would rather see guys like Miller, Eaves, Samuelsson and Bertuzzi all gone and have their money thrown at one guy then having a bunch of plugs around tying up roster spots and not doing much when theyre in them

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The free agent market is barren this year. Complimentary pieces at best. And most of the respectable ones will likely stay on their current team.

It's pretty rough when 41-year-old Jagr looks like the best player of the group.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This team is also desperate for right-hand shooters, to even up the balance and angles on shots during games.

Cleary, Filppula, Miller walks... get Nathan Horton and promote some kids.

New, big, 10-years younger net-front presence with a right-handness.

Nyquist(L) - Zeta(L) - Horton(R)
Franzen(L) - Dats(L) - Brunner(R)
AKader(L) - Helm(L) - Sammy(R)
Tatar(L) - Andersson(L) - Tootoo(R)

RH shot in every line and first RH center (Järnkrok) since Yzerman and Robert Lang knocking the door.

13. Bertuzzi (hopefully healthy, but don't count anything on him)
14. Eaves (if not bought out)
15. Järnkrok (AHL, but first injury callup)

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He scored 30 and would be on pace for over 20 this year. I guess maybe 25 is a bit generous but I would say hes a legit 20 goal guy who can fight and will stick up for his teammates. And if we dont have the skill like you say, then we shouldnt be spending big money on any players so overpaying for a guy to protect the young guys during the youth movement would be smart as well

How many times have we seen stats for Hudler, Flip, etc. extrapolated out over 82 games, though? I think 20 goals is more possible, but I think that it's very likely we'd get a guy who scores in the high teens - which isn't bad, except it seems we're also looking at throwing $4m and better per season at him. Give him that sort of contract, and have him score 16 or 17 goals, and it's not going to sit well.

I'm not really enamored with any of the free agents right now, but if we're dropping $4m+ on someone, I'd rather see someone with a better history of hitting the back of the net, and preferably on a short deal.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How many times have we seen stats for Hudler, Flip, etc. extrapolated out over 82 games, though? I think 20 goals is more possible, but I think that it's very likely we'd get a guy who scores in the high teens - which isn't bad, except it seems we're also looking at throwing $4m and better per season at him. Give him that sort of contract, and have him score 16 or 17 goals, and it's not going to sit well.

I'm not really enamored with any of the free agents right now, but if we're dropping $4m+ on someone, I'd rather see someone with a better history of hitting the back of the net, and preferably on a short deal.

Yeah extrapolating stats are tough but we're talking about a guy who is under thirty and scores a good chunk of his goals Holmstrom style so I doubt that dries up completely.

If it means having a 20 goal guy for 4 million that can pla on the PP and one of the top lines to protect Datsyuk or Zetterberg I'm alright with it. I would rather do that than have a pure goon on the fourth line personally. Although if I were Holland I would take a serious look at Bourdeleau

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
First of all, they were ready to drop 90 million on Suter for an 8.5 million caphit, they were a bit lower on Parise but not that far off.

Lol no, it was under 7 mil.

For Parise the cap hit was like 5.6 mil.

Cleary, Filppula, Miller walks... get Nathan Horton and promote some kids.

New, big, 10-years younger net-front presence with a right-handness.

Nyquist(L) - Zeta(L) - Horton(R)
Franzen(L) - Dats(L) - Brunner(R)
AKader(L) - Helm(L) - Sammy(R)
Tatar(L) - Andersson(L) - Tootoo(R)

RH shot in every line and first RH center (Järnkrok) since Yzerman and Robert Lang knocking the door.

13. Bertuzzi (hopefully healthy, but don't count anything on him)
14. Eaves (if not bought out)
15. Järnkrok (AHL, but first injury callup)

Horton really isn't net-front presence.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
You are overthinking my post a bit. I'm not trying to ignite a Filppula vs Clarkson debate. I just think it's funny everyone here rags on Fil and says he has 1 fluke year, but now people want Clarkson who has a 30 goal season than doesn't even have another year where he cracks 20. It is just amusing to me. That is really all.

I think sometimes if Filppula was on another team getting ready to hit UFA there would be threads on our board saying we should go out and get him. :laugh: As long as it's something new and exciting!

Clarkson has a lot more to his game than just putting up points. He has some of the assets this team needs - size, R hander, work ethic, etc.

If Flip isnt putting up points he ain't doing anything else.

So those wanting Clarkson aren't necessarily part of the grass-is-greener crowd.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
For what it's worth. Devils fans think

Clarkson isn't worth more than 4 mil.

5 mil would be ********

He's really not top 6 winger.

He plays there by default, not bc he's that good.

He started the season very, very hot.

He has 4 goals in his last 31 games. I repeat, 4 goals in last 31 games. And 7 points.

You wanna pay 5 mil for that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad