Speculation: Clarkson and Elias

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Do you think the Red Wings could make a play for Clarkson or Elias out of New Jersey? Both have had great seasons with New Jersey. New Jersey NEEDS cap space and likely will not be able to retain one of not both befor the Cap drop hits. Should holland make a play for one of them. Would Detroit have something to offer these players where they would like to play here. I personally would go for Clarkson but you could make a case that Elias woud be a better fit.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Clarkson would be a good pickup, but I think someone else gets him for twice what he's worth.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I would love to see Clarkson on this team. Plus he's a right handed shot RW something we NEED!

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Both re-sign in NJ. Unless something has changed I remember reading that when Kovi was traded to the Devils people were speculating that Clarkson was headed to Atlanta. He apparently was home crying over the news and was quite upset about it all. I've also read that he's loyal and feels he owes it to the Devils for giving him a chance.

The only way I don't see him signing in NJ is if the completely lowball him but Lou isn't that kind of a GM.

Elias would be a target if he wasn't so old and if we didn't have all of our youth on the wing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Clarkson is getting 5 million and he might be worth it, I don't know wouldn't hate that signing if they do it. Like paying Clarkson more than Horton which is thrown around here a decent amount.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why no love for Horton? Is it the concussion problem he had? Or the rumor he's a "cancer" ?

Well more the player since the concussions when I watch him. He has understandably taken more caution in his game, but I think people credit him with being a different guy. He was always pretty similar to Franzen really in terms of a physical guy that wasn't really as physical as people make him out to be. He was a little more physical (really is the same to maybe less now) than Mule but they are similar, he would be an interesting test for the old European versus North American debate, because he should be similarly chased by the people that are hyper critical of Franzen if they are being honest about what they are watching.

Horton did fight occasionally as a difference, but he won't do that again anyway.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Both re-sign in NJ. Unless something has changed I remember reading that when Kovi was traded to the Devils people were speculating that Clarkson was headed to Atlanta. He apparently was home crying over the news and was quite upset about it all. I've also read that he's loyal and feels he owes it to the Devils for giving him a chance.

The only way I don't see him signing in NJ is if the completely lowball him but Lou isn't that kind of a GM.

Elias would be a target if he wasn't so old and if we didn't have all of our youth on the wing.

The Devils Need cap space bad! Clarkson would be a great addition to this team and Loyal player like teams that are known for good management.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Clarkson is getting 5 million and he might be worth it, I don't know wouldn't hate that signing if they do it. Like paying Clarkson more than Horton which is thrown around here a decent amount.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Wings don't sign him. Devils fans seem to throw him under the bus for having terrible hockey sense, and the Wings value hockey sense really highly.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If you're looking at clarkson, I think you'd be better off looking at Torres. I think you'd get similar production, but with a far more friendly contract.

With Elias, it depends who else we bring back, doesn't retire, etc. I don't see why his age is a problem. No one on the free agent market is someone I'd look to build around for the next 5+ years. If we can get the most effective guy possible, at a decent contract, and not screw up our prospect development while doing it, I don't really care if it's a 35 yr old guy we're signing.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
The Devils Need cap space bad! Clarkson would be a great addition to this team and Loyal player like teams that are known for good management.

Why do they need cap space? They have 25M in cap space and I'd assume that Elias and Clarkson will make a combined 11M or so. That leaves 14M for Zubrius, Henrique, D'Agostini & Loktionov. That should be more then enough.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If you're looking at clarkson, I think you'd be better off looking at Torres. I think you'd get similar production, but with a far more friendly contract.

With Elias, it depends who else we bring back, doesn't retire, etc. I don't see why his age is a problem. No one on the free agent market is someone I'd look to build around for the next 5+ years. If we can get the most effective guy possible, at a decent contract, and not screw up our prospect development while doing it, I don't really care if it's a 35 yr old guy we're signing.

Agree with that, Have always liked that he is a big guy that skates, has some talent. If he can keep his game reigned in, which he seems to have made the adjustment to. He should be a heck of a lot cheaper. 4 years 10 million, Torres might take that he could maybe even get more.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
clarkson is my #1 offseason target followed by derek roy

both guys are 29 and both guys are better then filppula in multiple different ways

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Filppula is a fluke, but everyone wants David Clarkson...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I guess the grass really is greener on the other side!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Filppula is a fluke, but everyone wants David Clarkson...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I guess the grass really is greener on the other side!

He is pacing out for 26 goals in a full season this year and he plays the game in areas this team just simply does not. I understand some of the point, but a lot of why people want Clarkson is the brand of hockey he plays and what he is all about.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
clarkson also fights and is somewhat tough, at least not a pushover

he brings way more NHL hockey intangibles to the table then filppula

Swapping him in for Flip would also bring much better balance to the forwards. He's a shooter, he's a screener, a tip-in guy, a garbage goal guy. Digs in the corners. Drops the gloves. That's pretty much the exact opposite of everybody they've got right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He is pacing out for 26 goals in a full season this year and he plays the game in areas this team just simply does not. I understand some of the point, but a lot of why people want Clarkson is the brand of hockey he plays and what he is all about.

and that's funny because in 09-10 Filppula through 55 games was on pace for a 64 point season too. So they both have one good season under their belts and one partial season where they were on pace to have a good season. I understand he brings another dimension, just think the whole thing is very hypocritical.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Swapping him in for Flip would also bring much better balance to the forwards. He's a shooter, he's a screener, a tip-in guy, a garbage goal guy. Digs in the corners. Drops the gloves. That's pretty much the exact opposite of everybody they've got right now.

:nod: We already have a large amount of forwards who could often pass for the table/rod hockey forward who's always skating in a line along the boards in the offensive zone (Flip qualifies). Wouldn't mind bringing in a guy or 2 for the top six who plays Clarkson's type of game.

I think the Devils will find a way to keep him, though- I'd keep him over Elias at this point in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad