Clarke MacArthur

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
At the very least Mac is a 20/20 guy who can play alongside Grabo/Kulemin, he's not a bad option to have. That being said IF Frattin can continue to keep up his pace and show his grit/net drive, then I think Mac becomes expendable at the deadline, a lot of the future of both Frattin and Mac depends on how well or poorly Frattin plays in the remainder of the season.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Will Clarke garner a first at the deadline....he should..albeit a 15-25th kind of first the last 6 teams will be too good to want him

Hopefully one of surplus D Liles or Franson will be dealt into the rapid defenseman hungry pool to grab us a third 1st

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I like your lineup except why not get some more scoring from the third line and go

Frattin-kadri-macA
Brown-mcclement-komarov

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Should be interesting to see who the next whipping boy is after MacArthur :facepalm:

I'm not sure I'd categorize Clarke as a whipping boy.

I think guys like Kulemin or Phaneuf or Kessel, who constantly get abuse regardless of any common sense, are the whipping boys. You can probably throw the goaltenders into that category too.

I don't think Clarke fits in with that group - rather, I think most people have correctly identified that while Clarke is a very useful player for us, he's a bit limited and he's not really going to be apart of the long term plan here. I think it's been OK having him around, but as long as Frattin or Kadri or a young player continues to impress and improve, the concern is that Mac takes up a roster and lineup spot ahead of one of them.

For what it's worth - I think that's a valid assessment. I think Mac would be great on a team that is going for a cup, and needs that final piece to perhaps put them over for some secondary scoring and someone strong in the corners. I think it's far more beneficial for us to be playing a younger player trying to develop his trade (ie. a Frattin).

Just my two cents.

Whipping boy? Probably not.

Someone identified as not fitting in here long term and perhaps getting in the way of some of the younger players? Likely the case.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
I don't mind having Macarthur around as long as he is playing 3rd line minutes, and isn't out on the powerplay. Having a guy like him on our 1st or even 2nd line is pretty sad.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
MacArthur is a kind of player who thrives when there's no adversity. I feel like he's one of those compiler forwards who scores at a decent clip on a losing club but when that club tries to make itself more competitive, he struggles with increased defensive responsibility, compete level, pressure, etc. I think he's one of those Tyler Arnason level guys who a team like Chicago had to let go of in order to make room for more industrious young players to improve as a team.

And for the time being that is perfect for everyone. I don't see this team in the playoffs this year, so let his value and confidence go sky high and then send him to the highest bidder at the trade deadline.... or to Columbus for their 1st so we can draft Jones and MacKinnon :naughty: :sarcasm:

holden57

Feb 3, 2011
Should have been dealt last deadline.

Now he's just taking up space - better players all around this organization:

Frattin
McClement
D'Amigo

All superior as far as I am concerned - give them a chance to play - whats the worst that can happen? We finish 5th last?

Everyone needs to start thinking bigger picture - stop obsessing over stats - stop obsessing over what may or may not happen to a player if we walk away from them.

Cheers

You seriously think D'amigo could come up and do better than Clarke in the NHL right now? That's a joke right?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't mind having Macarthur around as long as he is playing 3rd line minutes, and isn't out on the powerplay. Having a guy like him on our 1st or even 2nd line is pretty sad.

I don't think he's good enough defensively to play in a checking line role.

But yeah - that could be a nice place to fit him in. I'm not a fan of him on the Grabo line.

It's been a while since that whole Mac-Grabo-Kulie line showed chemistry.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I think if we can get a 2nd + a prospect for Mac we should do it. We'd have 3 picks in the first two rounds, with our own first having a good chance at being in the top 10.

Add that to: Rielly, Biggs, Percy, Finn, D'amigo, Colborne, Ashton, Ross, Mckegg, Leivo, Blacker, and some other late pick guys like Tonintato, Brown, and Cameranesi and we will have a good group of prospects. As well as young NHLers like Kadri, Gardiner, JVR, Frattin, Kessel (only 25, same as Frattin), etc trading Macarthur seems like the smart move.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I'm not sure I'd categorize Clarke as a whipping boy.

I think guys like Kulemin or Phaneuf or Kessel, who constantly get abuse regardless of any common sense, are the whipping boys. You can probably throw the goaltenders into that category too.

I don't think Clarke fits in with that group - rather, I think most people have correctly identified that while Clarke is a very useful player for us, he's a bit limited and he's not really going to be apart of the long term plan here. I think it's been OK having him around, but as long as Frattin or Kadri or a young player continues to impress and improve, the concern is that Mac takes up a roster and lineup spot ahead of one of them.

For what it's worth - I think that's a valid assessment. I think Mac would be great on a team that is going for a cup, and needs that final piece to perhaps put them over for some secondary scoring and someone strong in the corners. I think it's far more beneficial for us to be playing a younger player trying to develop his trade (ie. a Frattin).

Just my two cents.

Whipping boy? Probably not.

Someone identified as not fitting in here long term and perhaps getting in the way of some of the younger players? Likely the case.

No he's a whipping boy. Don't let them fool you, the WBB has no problem with multiple victims, they actually prefer it. Kostkas already on their radar too.

MacArthur should be kept and in my mind the fact he was named an 'A' shows that the coach/mgmt team appreciates his value even though many fans don't. Mind you I suspect the majority of those fans are members of the WBB.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think if we can get a 2nd + a prospect for Mac we should do it. We'd have 3 picks in the first two rounds, with our own first having a good chance at being in the top 10.

You are dreaming if you think that's the price Mac will fetch.

Look at what the price was for Nash - hardly what most people were expecting.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
You are dreaming if you think that's the price Mac will fetch.

Look at what the price was for Nash - hardly what most people were expecting.

I would think he would get a 2nd + a long shot prospect Burke was reportedly offered a conditional first last year for him.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I think he fits just fine considering Jay McClement was our 2nd line left winger last night. Your projected line up without MacArthur looks fine, but it doesn't take into account the inevitable injuries that arise during a season. Players like Mac provide depth, and should be re-signed if he'll take a similar contract to the one he signed previously. If he wants 4 million or more, you move him at the deadline to the highest bidder.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Team won.

Didn't need Lupul.

Maybe Kessel needs Lupul, but who cares as long as the team wins.

Team won despite our first line. And we were less than two seconds away from a shootout after leading halfway through the third. Leafs don't have a very good SO record.

I don't particularly care about Kessel's individual stats, but I know we're not going far with a top line that can't score. On the other hand our 2nd line has been looking better without MacArthur fumbling passes and generally killing every rush up the ice.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
If MacArthur was truly worth a first, and Burke didn't pull the trigger, he's either lying or was dumb.

The arrival of Kadri, and now Frattin seems to suggest MacArthur's days are limited. Only Lupul's injury has kept him going.

Baba Ganoush

Dec 8, 2009
what's with the Mac hate? jaysus.

i wouldn't be upset of they moved him but i'd be perfectly fine with him sticking around. solid player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad