Clarke MacArthur

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He's one of the few established pieces who are worth something that the Leafs can move without mucking up the future. So, I'd move him at some point. I'd give him time to pick up his game, rather than trade him at low ebb.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
MacA-Grabo-and Kulemin all had chemistry once.

Grabo continues to do most on his own, but I have no idea why Kulemin and MacA have declined so much.

Personally, I think Kulemin lost a lot of his scoring ability, smarts and toughness more when Gleason roughed him up than the Lokomotiv crash did. I think he's also got some other personal issues going on...he did get married and have kids recently. Who knows..I would like to believe he's not hurt.

Kind of like when Kaberle was never the same player once Janssen cheap shotted him.

MacArthur...I dunno. I see him as expendable. He's alright, but when he's not scoring and getting top 6 minutes, it makes you wonder.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
it's not really a knee jerk reaction, I look at our top 6 wingers in JVR/Kulemin/Lupul/Kessel and I don't see Clarke fitting in. now with him currently making 3.25 and he's about to hit the UFA market he probably looking for an increase in salary. probably around the 4-4.5 million mark on a 3-4 year deal. you can't give out that term and money to a 3rd line forward. espicially when we have cheaper options like frattin and Komarov. thats why MacArthur should be dealt at the deadline. it would be bad asset management to ethier re-sign him or let him walk for free.

You're trading offensive depth because of the "not fitting in" mentality. From my mind, i can't think of a better scenario than having higher quality offensive production and defensive awareness on a 3rd line over someone who simply "fits the bill".

trade deadlines are way to overemphasized today, and simply dealing someone because they're going to be a UFA is what I would call a knee jerk reaction because you are making a move based on an assumption that something may happen down the road in which you cant answer.

lombardi for picks is trading away someone who doesn't fit in anymore because he's dispensable

trading away clarke macarthur's guaranteed (if healthy) 25 points because he doesn't fit into the top 2 lines is not good depth management, its simply trading for the sake of trading because he doesn't fit a "criteria"

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You're trading offensive depth because of the "not fitting in" mentality. From my mind, i can't think of a better scenario than having higher quality offensive production and defensive awareness on a 3rd line over someone who simply "fits the bill".

trade deadlines are way to overemphasized today, and simply dealing someone because they're going to be a UFA is what I would call a knee jerk reaction because you are making a move based on an assumption that something may happen down the road in which you cant answer.

lombardi for picks is trading away someone who doesn't fit in anymore because he's dispensable

trading away clarke macarthur's guaranteed (if healthy) 25 points because he doesn't fit into the top 2 lines is not good depth management, its simply trading for the sake of trading because he doesn't fit a "criteria"

You need grit to play on the third line.

MacArthur doesn't have that. I'd rather have Frattin and Komarov on the third line with Kadri...they've given us offense and haven't hurt us defensively.

MacArthur is not going get re-signed. If he's healthy, he's getting traded or we let him go in the offseason.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
MacA-Grabo-and Kulemin all had chemistry once.

Grabo continues to do most on his own, but I have no idea why Kulemin and MacA have declined so much.

Personally, I think Kulemin lost a lot of his scoring ability, smarts and toughness more when Gleason roughed him up than the Lokomotiv crash did. I think he's also got some other personal issues going on...he did get married and have kids recently. Who knows..I would like to believe he's not hurt.

Kind of like when Kaberle was never the same player once Janssen cheap shotted him.

MacArthur...I dunno. I see him as expendable. He's alright, but when he's not scoring and getting top 6 minutes, it makes you wonder.

Kulemin is 2nd. in scoring so what else would you like him to do, lead the team?

Kadr+Frattin 11 points
Grabovski+Kulemin 10 points

Kessel seems to be the problem.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
the basic decision is, who would i rather have on a fully healthy team's 3rd line

macarthur or komorov (who has been much more invisible) and/or steckel

just throwing it out there, if i have to choose 1, i know who i would choose

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Kulemin is 2nd. in scoring so what else would you like him to do, lead the team?

He has O Grapes, 5 apples, and is a -1.

What happened to his goal scoring touch? Yes, it's encouraging he's at least getting a bunch of second assists to make his production look better. :nod:

Anyone riding shotgun with Grabovski should be putting up better scoring stats...including MacArthur.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He has O Grapes, 5 apples, and is a -1.

What happened to his goal scoring touch? Yes, it's encouraging he's at least getting a bunch of second assists to make his production look better. :nod:

Anyone riding shotgun with Grabovski should be putting up better scoring stats...including MacArthur.

I don't think that's a fair assessment when his drive to the nets and board play have been a large factor in why his line is scoring. He's not getting goals but he's doing everything else right.

On the five goals he assisted on:

1) A drive to the net that let JVR tap it in
2) A cross ice pass to Grabovski who one-times it
3) A keep-in on an attempted clear from McDonagh that is sent to Liles then to Grabo
4) Dominated Leopold on the boards and got the pass through the slot to Kadri who got it to McClement

Hardly riding shotgun. For all the flak he got over the first two games, he's completely turned it around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad