Clarke MacArthur

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Will Clarke garner a first at the deadline....he should..albeit a 15-25th kind of first the last 6 teams will be too good to want him

Hopefully one of surplus D Liles or Franson will be dealt into the rapid defenseman hungry pool to grab us a third 1st

HAHA could you imagine that. A top 6 2013 pick for clarke macarthur.

ForSpareParts*

This is what I mean again. Looking at the stat sheet is all well and good, but from what I have watched he doesnt fit in with our hard-nosed forechecking type of game.

Your observations are sound, but then there's the reality of:

-His 'A'
-2 20+ goals seasons
-His 105 points in 2 seasons with the Leafs

He is an average NHL forward. He could be a piece of some kind of trade.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
what's with the Mac hate? jaysus.

i wouldn't be upset of they moved him but i'd be perfectly fine with him sticking around. solid player.

Like somebody just said, I don't think it's really hate. He's just made himself very expendable. He underwhelmed to start the season and with it being only 48 games we can't afford to wait out too many slumps. Frattin, Komarov, and even McClement have played better than him. And JVR is a lot more versatile. Even with Lupul out for weeks MacArthur does not look like a better option on wing.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Your observations are sound, but then there's the reality of:

-His 'A'
-2 20+ goals seasons
-His 105 points in 2 seasons with the Leafs

He is an average NHL forward. He could be a piece of some kind of trade.

Given the amount of icetime he got, as well as PP time, 20 Goals isn't all that impressive, but your point is well taken.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
My point was

That the top 6 teams in NHL this season those picking last 6 spot sin draft dont need to add a Clarke

its the teams just making the playoffs whose roster is not great who would like a character like Clarke..

thus if we got a first for him it would be a 15th to 25th i would imagine..

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
If MacArthur was truly worth a first, and Burke didn't pull the trigger, he's either lying or was dumb.

I've always wondered about that myself. If there was one thing Burke was astute it was his trades. I wonder what the conditions of the 1st rounder were that made him back off the deal? I can't see the Leafs getting anything near that for a pending UFA like Mac this year. I buy the argument I've been given he's a useful player but do we really want to re-sign him to another contract? Best to trade him at the deadline. I'm sure he would be a good additional piece for a strong playoff bound team and it probably would be in own his best interest to go as well to try add some more value to himself as a pending UFA.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
My point was

That the top 6 teams in NHL this season those picking last 6 spot sin draft dont need to add a Clarke

its the teams just making the playoffs whose roster is not great who would like a character like Clarke..

thus if we got a first for him it would be a 15th to 25th i would imagine..

There will be a lot of injuries this season. Also a team like Pittsburgh could use another set of hands that comes off the book in the end of the year.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I like your lineup except why not get some more scoring from the third line and go

Frattin-kadri-macA
Brown-mcclement-komarov

This is what will likely happen if we ever see a full forward lineup. Rotate Brown and Orr depending on the opponent.

MacArthur has a place as long as this team is in contention for the playoffs. Unless he is flipped in a deal for another NHL body or the offer is too good to refuse. If the team is out of the race, he is probably the easiest to move and he'd likely bring in a decent return.

DaveT83*

I've always wondered about that myself. If there was one thing Burke was astute it was his trades. I wonder what the conditions of the 1st rounder were that made him back off the deal? I can't see the Leafs getting anything near that for a pending UFA like Mac this year. I buy the argument I've been given he's a useful player but do we really want to re-sign him to another contract? Best to trade him at the deadline. I'm sure he would be a good additional piece for a strong playoff bound team and it probably would be in own his best interest to go as well to try add some more value to himself as a pending UFA.

I wouldn't read so much into it. I don't think there is much more to it than the team was in a tailspin - Burke decided by doing nothing on Trade Deadline it might calm the group down and steady the ship. But they kept losing. He gambled and lost. Now like all of Burkes moves/non-moves were left dealing with consequences.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
MacArthur has a place as long as this team is in contention for the playoffs. Unless he is flipped in a deal for another NHL body or the offer is too good to refuse. If the team is out of the race, he is probably the easiest to move and he'd likely bring in a decent return.

3066489_o.gif

Donald McRonald

Interested observer
Sep 13, 2009
United Nations
Mac's positioning on the ice hasn't been as good as it's been the first couple years he was here, not physical at all either. It's too bad cuz the guy is tough. Hasn't he been in like 2 or 3 scraps and man handled his opponents?

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Mac's positioning on the ice hasn't been as good as it's been the first couple years he was here, not physical at all either. It's too bad cuz the guy is tough. Hasn't he been in like 2 or 3 scraps and man handled his opponents?

We have Orr and brown for that type of stuff.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
MacArthur is a kind of player who thrives when there's no adversity. I feel like he's one of those compiler forwards who scores at a decent clip on a losing club but when that club tries to make itself more competitive, he struggles with increased defensive responsibility, compete level, pressure, etc. I think he's one of those Tyler Arnason level guys who a team like Chicago had to let go of in order to make room for more industrious young players to improve as a team.

He struggled in Atlanta before coming here. He's had more success in Toronto than Atlanta. He's a keeper. Love him. All heart.

The Hockey Life

Feb 27, 2011
Leafs Nation
I like MacA, but Frattin and Kadri have been playing their butts off, and I think it's time they both get the opportunity. Should deal him at the trade deadline if Lupul comes back.

Lines :

Lupul-Flowzak-Kessel
JvR - Grabo - Kule
Frattin - Kadri - Komarov
Brown - McClement - Orr

Kostka - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gunnar - Gardiner

Although, I'd like to see McClement get a bigger role, he played great yesterday.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

I'm not sure it was the conditions of the pick that made BB not pull the trigger.

My gut tells me it was all about where we sat in the standings.

He gambled and lost, he saved CM for a vaunted and failed PO push attempt.

I have to ask myself.

Is there any difference in NOT trading a aging player for picks/prospect at the deadline any different then trading picks/prospects FOR a aging player , when the premise behind the move is for a PO push?

You end up with the same net result, the aged player is on your team and the pick/prospect is not.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We don't have much space for MacArthur in our top 6 if everyone is healthy:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JvR-Grabo-Kuli

Hopefully we can get Kadri to play #1C soon and Bozak drops down to #3.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
being hurt doesnt help
and if he's not scoring and jvr frattin keep doing well
then adios

he's scored more than kessel has. should the leafs get rid of kessel because he hasnt contributed with a goal in 6 games?
a bit hasty to get rid of depth scoring forwards when there's no urgency to trade someone. no contract issue because of a cap squeeze (he makes less than tim connolly for god sakes) and is still only 27 years old with proven success on a 2nd line. clarke macarthur is far from an expendable player. this thread is ridiculous

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
he's scored more than kessel has. should the leafs get rid of kessel because he hasnt contributed with a goal in 6 games?
a bit hasty to get rid of depth scoring forwards when there's no urgency to trade someone. no contract issue because of a cap squeeze (he makes less than tim connolly for god sakes) and is still only 27 years old with proven success on a 2nd line. clarke macarthur is far from an expendable player. this thread is ridiculous

Tim Connolly is not a good measuring stick for how reasonable a contract is. It's not so much that MacArthur is a bad player, it's just that he started out the year so poorly that he was really hurting whatever line he was on. And as for Kessel slumping...this season is only 48 games. How many slumps can you afford to wait out? Kessel's scoring is worth waiting for, nobody else on the team can really replace it. On the other hand, even McClement looked better than MacArthur had in his first game playing wing, and McClement is a hell of a lot better on the PK from what I've seen. Then you've got Frattin looking to prove he's an NHLer and succeeding so far. You've got JVR who hasn't blown anybody away but has everything MacArthur has plus a lot more size.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Tim Connolly is not a good measuring stick for how reasonable a contract is. It's not so much that MacArthur is a bad player, it's just that he started out the year so poorly that he was really hurting whatever line he was on. And as for Kessel slumping...this season is only 48 games. How many slumps can you afford to wait out? Kessel's scoring is worth waiting for, nobody else on the team can really replace it. On the other hand, even McClement looked better than MacArthur had in his first game playing wing, and McClement is a hell of a lot better on the PK from what I've seen. Then you've got Frattin looking to prove he's an NHLer and succeeding so far. You've got JVR who hasn't blown anybody away but has everything MacArthur has plus a lot more size.

There's no such thing as a "reasonable contract" only "reasonable expectations", you don't determine the worth of a player on their contract when they are currently on your team, you determine it on capability and create expectations based on that perceived capability.

Mac has played 6 games, that's not an indicator of anything, if it was Kulemin should have been moved last year, kessel this year, but they weren't because this isn't the stock market and dealing talent can't be a knee jerk reaction like damien cox or dredger would lead people to believe

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
There's no such thing as a "reasonable contract" only "reasonable expectations", you don't determine the worth of a player on their contract when they are currently on your team, you determine it on capability and create expectations based on that perceived capability.

That's nice and everything, except you compared his contract to Connolly's. It's a meaningless comparison. How disappointing Connolly has been has nothing to do with how much money MacArthur makes.

Mac has played 6 games, that's not an indicator of anything, if it was Kulemin should have been moved last year, kessel this year, but they weren't because this isn't the stock market and dealing talent can't be a knee jerk reaction like damien cox or dredger would lead people to believe

MacArthur has rendered himself disposable right now. What happened last season doesn't change that, does it? Kessel being on a cold streak is not the same as MacArthur playing terribly, this is yet another poor comparison. I see a trend here.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

it's not really a knee jerk reaction, I look at our top 6 wingers in JVR/Kulemin/Lupul/Kessel and I don't see Clarke fitting in. now with him currently making 3.25 and he's about to hit the UFA market he probably looking for an increase in salary. probably around the 4-4.5 million mark on a 3-4 year deal. you can't give out that term and money to a 3rd line forward. espicially when we have cheaper options like frattin and Komarov. thats why MacArthur should be dealt at the deadline. it would be bad asset management to ethier re-sign him or let him walk for free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->