CL Round of 8

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm not against calling him that. But he's not top 3 and in a starting XI for me. Not over Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Ronaldinho. Since most would agree with Ronaldo-Henry-Messi up front.

I do agree with this statement though.

I think a CR7, Dinho, Messi front 3 would be my choice but I can 100% understand putting Henry in there as well.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That's absolutely true. But highlight goal are also Gerrard's trademark. He's more known for this than his defensive ability.
I mean, yeah, he can score a highlight goal but so can many players. That doesn't make him a forward. I also don't necessarily think that's a fair representation of what he's known for; he's known for his loyalty, heart, engine and all-around game I think. His passing (hollywood passes even) and grit were just as notable.
The answer is none of the above. England tried way to hard to fit those three in the team when it was impossible to make it work. Honestly if they would’ve played Carrick behind 2 of those 3 I think they would’ve been infinitely more successful as a national team throughout that era.
I agree. I think they could have played a diamond and been amazing.

Carrick
Gerrard - Scholes
Lampard​

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And for the record I don't put Vieira in that top XI either. not over Iniesta, Busquets and Ronaldinho.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They're all great players anyway, it's a matter of how great. The biggest shock on that UEFA list is still no Nesta. I think it's debatable which other CB you'd put there, but I have no idea how Nesta is left out. Silva learned a massive amount playing with him.

If he never gets hurt in 2006, the Materazzi thing never happens either, and seeing as Materazzi scored in that final, who knows if they'd have won without him getting hurt. So that's something interesting to think about it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They're all great players anyway, it's a matter of how great. The biggest shock on that UEFA list is still no Nesta. I think it's debatable which other CB you'd put there, but I have no idea how Nesta is left out. Silva learned a massive amount playing with him.

If he never gets hurt in 2006, the Materazzi thing never happens either, and seeing as Materazzi scored in that final, who knows if they'd have won without him getting hurt. So that's something interesting to think about it.

Even Cannavaro too. He was incredible as well, I’d take both of them over Pique quite easily.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I agree. I think they could have played a diamond and been amazing.

Carrick
Gerrard - Scholes
Lampard​

No, they probably should have benched Lampard for some water carrier type player. But international coaches almost never do that and with good reason, look at the reaction for Germany doing it with Khedira and others. Or Paulinho playing for Brazil right now. Fans simply cannot handle it. If the passing level isn't as extremely coherent as Xavi, Busquets, and Iniesta, it is inevitable a team must bring in a worker. I can almost guarantee that Brazil will have one of the best defenses at the WC for doing it.

I don't see how two free role CAM players who play basically the same way like Gerrard and Lampard could ever play together. I think there's a chance that this current England team advances as far in the WC as Gerrard and Lampard ever did, particularly because they don't have that kind of selection issue.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No, they probably should have benched Lampard for some water carrier type player. But international coaches almost never do that and with good reason, look at the reaction for Germany doing it with Khedira and others. Or Paulinho playing for Brazil right now. Fans simply cannot handle it. If the passing level isn't as extremely coherent as Xavi, Busquets, and Iniesta, it is inevitable a team must bring in a worker. I can almost guarantee that Brazil will have one of the best defenses at the WC for doing it.

I don't see how two free role CAM players who play basically the same way like Gerrard and Lampard could ever play together.
I don't disagree with the concept, but there's more than one way to be a role player. Carrick would have fit that mold without needing to be the Casemiro of Brazil (which is who I assume you're referring to because I highly doubt that Paulinho will start when the team is fully fit).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't disagree with the concept, but there's more than one way to be a role player. Carrick would have fit that mold without needing to be the Casemiro of Brazil (which is who I assume you're referring to because I highly doubt that Paulinho will start when the team is fully fit).

Paulinho started all the last qualifiers when they hadn't clinched their spot yet. Played 8 games last year and scored 5 times even though nobody rates him. Had a hat trick against Uruguay in a crucial game. He'll definitely start. If there's a change it would be Fernandinho out for Renato Augusto.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Paulinho started all the last qualifiers when they hadn't clinched their spot yet. Played 8 games last year and scored 5 times even though nobody rates him. Had a hat trick against Uruguay in a crucial game. He'll definitely start. If there's a change it would be Fernandinho out for Renato Augusto.
So which of Willian, Casemiro, Fernandinho or Coutinho are being benched when Neymar comes back if Paulinho stays in?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Ronaldinho Ronaldo Messi

Iniesta Xavi

Busquets

Lahm Nesta Puyol Alves

Neuer
Oh, and Scholes >>> Gerrard.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
What's with all this Gerrard talk when Modric is easily the better player? Mod is also better than Busquets as well.

Agreed with the first part. Not the second part. They don't really play the same position though. Modric would have to knock off Xavi or Iniesta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad