GWT: CL Matchweek 4

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there are some personnel problems, but I think its more about Bosz. I completely agree with DM's post about the system. Pressing isn't bad, but the way Bosz has the team press is just way too naive, and it usually ends up with us having a ton of meaningless possession that ends up in our own goal.

And some of these personnel problems are on him. He's way over-relied on Sahin, Castro and Sokratis. Dahoud has basically been phased out of late, Zagadou barely gets a run if its not as a fill-in LB, Bartra has to play as a fill in at many positions because Bosz somehow doesn't think he's one of our starting CB's.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
There was no suspense given the draw. All have putrid groups. United and Liverpool especially. City was favourites. Chelsea isn't failing however.
Only exception was Spurs, who certainly weren't expected to top the group.

Chelsea's group is most definitely not putrid. We, however, should be doing better.

Reactions: All Might

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Bosz should be gone but so should Watzke. He thought Tuchel - along with all the players lost - was replaceable. Guess what, Aki, he wasn't. You are, though. I can't even imagine which German-speaking coach they could get midseason now and would probably prefer to give Bosz a chance for a few more weeks. It's not like they have anything left to play for this year.

No you didn't.

Revisionist history. Should have been a draw at worse. Wouldn't have mattered with the three CL matches they played after tho.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't find Leipzig group tough. One of the easiest for a 4th pot team really.
Thing it, it's evenly matched.
Monaco has lacked ambition in Leipzig, happy with a draw. Since then, between Lemar and Falcao's injuries and lack of form, they've been in a funk (also fragile in L1).
Porto is well organized, but without genius.
Besiktas is a veteran team, well coached and solid, but again, nothing earth-shattering.
Leipzig has been prety bad I'd say.

4 teams that should lose in the next round if they face a decent opponent.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
There was no suspense given the draw. All have putrid groups. United and Liverpool especially. City was favourites. Chelsea isn't failing however.
Only exception was Spurs, who certainly weren't expected to top the group.

I thought Spurs were in a proverbial 'Group of Death'. Was expecting the EL spot TBH.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I don't find Leipzig group tough. One of the easiest for a 4th pot team really.
Thing it, it's evenly matched.
Monaco has lacked ambition in Leipzig, happy with a draw. Since then, between Lemar and Falcao's injuries and lack of form, they've been in a funk (also fragile in L1).
Porto is well organized, but without genius.
Besiktas is a veteran team, well coached and solid, but again, nothing earth-shattering.
Leipzig has been prety bad I'd say.

4 teams that should lose in the next round if they face a decent opponent.

Well, I agree it was one of the best possible groups for them. But it's always hard to advance as the Pot 3 or 4 team even if you aren't far worse than the Pot 1 and 2 teams in your group.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The rise of the EPL in Europe again was predictable.
Again, context. Liverpool don't make it out of several groups.

I thought Spurs were in a proverbial 'Group of Death'. Was expecting the EL spot TBH.
Had a clear shot at #2 seed to me, BVB are not the team some here have claimed a few months ago.
Still to top the group is a nice achievement, regardless of Real's awful start of the season.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Wow, what an experience to be at Wembley tonight.

The place went NUTS when Spurs scored. Absolute goosebumps when ~80k sang together after the goals.

Great, great win for Spurs. Been following this club for almost a decade now, and to finally see them in person was just great. Especially on such a big night, and getting the great result made it even better.

rctqmh.jpg

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Again, context. Liverpool don't make it out of several groups.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Liverpool would have made it out of most, if not all, the groups. Regardless they'll be making it out of this one just like the other PL teams will make it out of their groups. The thing is the PL teams will continue to improve in the coming years and be a dominant force in European competition (and we'll hear endless complaints about it, and the effects of money)...like I said before the season started.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Liverpool would have made it out of most, if not all, the groups. Regardless they'll be making it out of this one just like the other PL teams will make it out of their groups. The thing is the PL teams will continue to improve in the coming years and be a dominant force in European competition (and we'll hear endless complaints about it, and the effects of money)...like I said before the season started.
And with their u-17 team winning WC, not all about money. Kane and Alli are english and they tore apart the best team in the world.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

If you replace Liverpool with the other Pool 3 teams (and ignore league restrictions) they definitely don't make it out of B, C, D or H. Its doubtful they make it out of A, F or G.

But perhaps if you take out the best teams in each group they may have a shot.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If you replace Liverpool with the other Pool 3 teams (and ignore league restrictions) they definitely don't make it out of B, C, D or H. Its doubtful they make it out of A, F or G.

But perhaps if you take out the best teams in each group they may have a shot.

Can only beat who is on the schedule. Have to be in it to win it though. All of it comes down to the draw. Liverpool can win their group and still have to go up against Madrid or Bayern.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

They don't finish ahead of Napoli/City. Or Madrid/Spurs. Or Roma/Chelsea. Or PSG/Munich. Or Barcelona/Juventus.

So yeah....

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They don't finish ahead of Napoli/City. Or Madrid/Spurs. Or Roma/Chelsea. Or PSG/Munich. Or Barcelona/Juventus.

So yeah....

They don’t have to. They also wouldn’t have to beat City, Chelsea or Spurs if they were in that group.

It all depends on the draw when you get to knockout stage.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Juventus, Chelsea, Bayern and Napoli have all been far from convincing in their groups and only Napoli has looked in good form in general of those teams. Not sure why you're speaking in absolutes; Liverpool would definitely have a chance in any of those groups even ignoring that they can't be in groups with other English teams.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I suppose even Hannover fans can gloat now

Never understood your premise that Reus was the only star player Dortmund have. It's clearly not true when you watch some of these others. The roster is deep and good at the top.

1, It has nothing to do with the team I support. At least I know Hannover won't last in the top 4 and might fight relegation sooner or later.
2. Dortmund couldn't win 2 games vs. APOEL Nikosia and could finish last in their group! Let that sink in for a while.
3. Where and when did I say Reus was the only star player on Borussia? This is not true and never was.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
1, It has nothing to do with the team I support. At least I know Hannover won't last in the top 4 and might fight relegation sooner or later.
2. Dortmund couldn't win 2 games vs. APOEL Nikosia and could finish last in their group! Let that sink in for a while.
3. Where and when did I say Reus was the only star player on Borussia? This is not true and never was.

2. Thanks. I think it has sunk in more than enough.
3. You said it three years ago. And tbh, since you chimed in in disagreement with a post that implied that Bosz is by far the biggest problem with Dortmund - since even an amateur could apparently coach the team better - by saying that "Dortmund is so overrated on this board", it sounded like you think the issue is with the players. No one here rates Bosz very highly at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad