GWT: CL Matchweek 4

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Teams have their ebb and flows almost regardless. Spurs just couldn't score at Wembley for a long time (and apparently the team didn't have quality players because they lost to Gent) while at the moment everything seems to go in.

It was more or less the same team starting in the game against Gent last season. Arguably it was a better team playing against Gent player for player.

Walker > Trippier (even if Trippier was excellent last night)
Wanyama vs. Winks (I prefer Winks, but Wanyama more proven)
Dembele > Sanchez (different formation obviously)

The rest the same. And they quite comfortably beat RM.

RM obviously an example for the opposite. This is more or less the same team that has dominated Europe for several years.

Dortmund will bounce back. And it could happen quite quickly. Still think they got a squad equal to any team below RM, PSG and a couple of the other elite teams.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Juventus, Chelsea, Bayern and Napoli have all been far from convincing in their groups and only Napoli has looked in good form in general of those teams. Not sure why you're speaking in absolutes; Liverpool would definitely have a chance in any of those groups even ignoring that they can't be in groups with other English teams.
I should add that I only pick on Liverpool because of the extremes that the fans of this club go to. Weren't you the one that said they were comparable to PSG, RM, Bayern, etc before the CL started this year? Another reason is that I don't think their play and squad is that special.

You will never seen me talk badly about the Spurs because they are freaking good and have a fantastic manager + squad. They could lose to Genoa and I wouldn't give them shit.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
2. Thanks. I think it has sunk in more than enough.
3. You said it three years ago. And tbh, since you chimed in in disagreement with a post that implied that Bosz is by far the biggest problem with Dortmund - since even an amateur could apparently coach the team better - by saying that "Dortmund is so overrated on this board", it sounded like you think the issue is with the players. No one here rates Bosz very highly at the moment.
To be fair, you rated Bosz highly before the season and said so multiple times as soon as he signed that BVB contract.
Pretty sure someone (not you) said BVB had a better coach than Leipzig.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I find it extra humorous because I really do like BVB as a team. But the excuses that come out every single game - bad refs, bad coach, bad injuries, bad weather, bad juju... Maybe the team just isn't as good as some of you think. I know it's pointless to argue though.

Why I despise Ramos:

I find this video totally mesmerising...

Reactions: All Might

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And again, look at the draw. Liverpool and United got a cakewalk. City and Chelsea were heavy favourites in their group.
Again, Spurs are overachieving (compared to expectations) and Chelsea is underachieving (compared to expectations). Rest are playing like they should in their group.

Can't see the glory in that. All these teams save City will get burnt by bigger teams in the spring most likely.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Most probably there will be 0 or 1 EPL team come the semis. Same thing in Europa I don't see Arsenal going far and Everton are almost out already.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The thing is the the PL teams are only going to continue to improve from here while some other leagues look a bit on the decline (BuLi and Serie A specifically). France have PSG but that's about it.

Meanwhile the PL is spending endless money, buying the best coaches, and they're starting to focus more on their academy systems. The PL becoming a powerhouse in Europe is really just a matter of time as long as they are focusing their efforts in the right way.

With that said the group arguments are nonsense. Again, pretty much regardless of the groups they were in the PL teams were going to advance. Even Spurs, who many thought would have a hard chance, have easily qualified for the knockouts. Teams like Napoli, Juventus, Atletico, etc. all who were espected to have an easy-ish time have struggled. How is Chelsea underachieving compared to expectations? Many had Atletico winning that group.

I should add that I only pick on Liverpool because of the extremes that the fans of this club go to. Weren't you the one that said they were comparable to PSG, RM, Bayern, etc before the CL started this year? Another reason is that I don't think their play and squad is that special.

I dunno, I think they have a pretty good manager, overall play and a very promising young team. When everyone is healthy I think they're on the cusp of being a pretty special group.

That said I believe I said they were in the tier below that group of teams you're mentioning because of their tactics and how they play against other top teams (which I still believe to be true). I don't see that as being overly extreme especially when you look at the struggles of some of the other 'big' teams in the CL this season (and even in league).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
City, PSG and Barca are tearing up their leagues.
Bayern is leading despite its trouble.
Only Real is in real trouble.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
English teams have failed in Europe for so many years now since all of their fanboys predicted the exact same thing about 5-10 years ago.

I'll be surprised if more than 1 English team is in the semis of either CL or EL this year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
"Struggles of the big teams, even in their leagues".
Looks at the standings in BL, EPL, L1, Liga...
Makes the counter point.

"Good for them".

OK. :facepalm:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
"Struggles of the big teams, even in their leagues".
Looks at the standings in BL, EPL, L1, Liga...
Makes the counter point.

"Good for them".

OK. :facepalm:
Nothing new there!

Could you quote exactly what you are referring to? Because I never said that, and never implied any of City, Barca or PSG were struggling. Once again you making things up to try and create some kind of 'counter point' that doesn't exist. But this kind of thing isn't policed so you can say whatever you want on the internet and people like the next poster actually think you have a point (when you don't). But you have a history of making things up that were never said in regards to me to save face so...it is what it is.

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
3. You said it three years ago. And tbh, since you chimed in in disagreement with a post that implied that Bosz is by far the biggest problem with Dortmund - since even an amateur could apparently coach the team better - by saying that "Dortmund is so overrated on this board", it sounded like you think the issue is with the players. No one here rates Bosz very highly at the moment.

You remember what a poster said 3 years ago on a massage board? Cool, man. 3 years ago Borussia had players like Gündogan, Hummels (just won the world cup), Kagawa, Sahin, Micki and others on their roster. And I said Reus was their only star? Hard to believe. But whatever.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
To be fair, you rated Bosz highly before the season and said so multiple times as soon as he signed that BVB contract.

That's not exactly an absurd argument given Hassenhuttl's limitations as a coach. Bosz can't organize a backline, but at least he's heard of possession before.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
When comparing the leagues and their performance in Europe, everybody really needs to understand that English teams go into it at a major disadvantage with their scheduling. German teams have the easiest schedules, and are able go into their leagues and the knockout stages the freshest. City will end up playing 6-7 more games by the middle of January than Bayern Munich as an example.

That's a huge disadvantage.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
When comparing the leagues and their performance in Europe, everybody really needs to understand that English teams go into it at a major disadvantage with their scheduling. German teams have the easiest schedules, and are able go into their leagues and the knockout stages the freshest. City will end up playing 6-7 more games by the middle of January than Bayern Munich as an example.

Nobody is forcing them to play made up cup games. As well as not having winter break.

They also have a huge advantage over non epl teams that is far more beneficial than a few extra games. $$$

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

So? And now Bosz is part of the problem. He is still a decent coach, but his strengths and weaknesses as a coach are not a good fit for Dortmund, since they were already strong in the areas of Bosz's strength, and weak in the areas of Bosz's weaknesses. This is not a matter of validating my own predictions at all: I'm not as obsessed with that as you are.

I find it extra humorous because I really do like BVB as a team. But the excuses that come out every single game - bad refs, bad coach, bad injuries, bad weather, bad juju... Maybe the team just isn't as good as some of you think. I know it's pointless to argue though.

We're just talking about the games really. Most neutral fans here had BVB advancing over Tottenham, so I guess you'll have to rub it in to them as well.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

And because the top 6 clubs in England are far more stable than Germany, they are also far deeper and more prepared to handle the European schedule than the smaller German clubs that sneak into an EL or even a CL spot playing one fixture a week, but can't handle the increased burden of European matches and/or were picked apart in the offseason by bigger clubs. So that extra time off is more important for them.

It doesn't really matter though; the EPL has passed the Bundesliga in coefficient now and it's fully deserved. Only really matters if one thinks -as you do - that the Bundesliga is the fifth best league in Europe, and wants to compare it to Serie A and Ligue 1.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't see that as being overly extreme especially when you look at the struggles of some of the other 'big' teams in the CL this season (and even in league).
Quote is here.
You don't even know what you post.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Quote is here.
You don't even know what you post.

So you're simply obtuse. Thanks for proving that.

I shouldn't have to spell it out for you like you're 5 but...'some' of the 'other big teams' and then listing Juventus, Napoli, Atletico does not mean City, PSG, Barcelona or Bayern (though Bayern has looked vulnerable).

But I know you need to reach to feel good so reach away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->