GWT: CL Matchweek 4

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Sturridge is finally starting to look like himself again. Usually when that happens he gets hurt two weeks later.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Napoli isn't out. They need to beat Shaktar and beat Feyenoord. And then hope Shaktar loses to City (likely), all of this is very likely.
The tricky part is they need Feyenoord to beat Shaktar.
Not impossible.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
4 EPL teams at the top of their group now.
There was no suspense given the draw. All have putrid groups. United and Liverpool especially. City was favourites. Chelsea isn't failing however.
Only exception was Spurs, who certainly weren't expected to top the group.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
UCL needs VAR. We were shit, but two clear handballs missed, referee didn't give either. We also got screwed by the calls badly against Spurs.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The most surprising group is Group G. I thought Besiktas would go through but not like this. Surprisingly only one German team going through right now and not looking so great while doing it.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Sahin on ROFL

Turned out that was the commentator's suggestion, not the actual change.

Same criticisms I've had of Bosz's football all year. Overemphasis on positional advantage and high rather than midfield pressing just leads to the opponent being hemmed in their own half 90% of the time and you passing in a U shape around them unable to generate no real chances, but when you do lose the ball the other team has the entirety of your half of the field to counter into and run past you. Passes go to the full backs too early in possession and they're easily forced into a back pass, and the middle of the field is badly ignored in buildup. He has the general concepts of fun successful football right but the details so horribly wrong. Better to try again in the CL next year. This is over. No way will they do anything but lose to both Madrid and Tottenham in this form.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Second and third Tottenham goals were all Alli quality. Sure the second also had a funny bounce, but he had Casemiro on skates with no idea what to do.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Pochettino should go reserve team in Germany. Dortmund might secure EL at least ;)

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The most surprising group is Group G. I thought Besiktas would go through but not like this. Surprisingly only one German team going through right now and not looking so great while doing it.

Somewhat surprising, but Dortmund and Leipzig both drew very difficult groups. Leipzig had the issue of not having a historical coefficient at all, and Dortmund - well, I've said a lot about their problems. All the most talented German teams from 3-4 years ago have slowly or precipitously declined. The hope that Leverkusen, Schalke, BVB, and Bayern would retain their quality while new teams like Leipzig and Hoffenheim came in just hasn't been realized.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Probably not, but Dortmund is soooo overrated on this board, it's not even funny.,

I suppose even Hannover fans can gloat now

Never understood your premise that Reus was the only star player Dortmund have. It's clearly not true when you watch some of these others. The roster is deep and good at the top.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
If he fails to win against Bayern imo then he should be gone. That would be 4 Bundesliga games in a row without a win and two CL games against a minnow without a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad