CL Matchweek 3

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lexi & Mesut may be the two best players on either team, but the next best players are Reus, Weigl, Dahoud, Aubamayeng, Raphael, Yarmolenko, Pulisic, and Bartra before we get to Bellerin, Koscielny, Xhaka or Ramsey. Milan has Bonucci, Donnarumma and Conti who crack a healthy Milan/Dortmund best 11, maybe Musacchio, for zenit that list is limited to Smolnikov...though I'd hope Bosz could adjust his tactics to fit both Weigl & Paredes onto the pitch together.

Napoli & Athletico would be co-favorites with BVB, and I may even put BVB third of that lot given my reservations about Bosz; but Arsenal / Milan / Zenit / Roma are not on that level. Which isn't to say they couldn't beat those top three in the knockouts, but Napoli, Athletico & Dortmund are higher level teams than that other lot.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
:laugh:
No Lacazette behind Ramsey?
Heck, what the heck, I'm sure Dortmund's backup goalie is better than a starter for Arsenal...

Anyway, Mbappe scores 3 minutes in. 8 goals in 9 CL starts at age 18.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
:laugh:
No Lacazette behind Ramsey?
Heck, what the heck, I'm sure Dortmund's backup goalie is better than a starter for Arsenal...

Anyway, Mbappe scores 3 minutes in. 8 goals in 9 CL starts at age 18.

Totally forgot about Lacazette, he'd slot in ahead of Raphael behind the BVB top 4.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
The Bayern game is funny. Two blackouts by the refs after just 6 mins in. The goal was was good and it was a penalty shortly afterwards.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Totally forgot about Lacazette, he'd slot in ahead of Raphael behind the BVB top 4.
What makes Lacazette an inferior player to Auba?
Please enlighten me?
Except speed, Auba has nothing on Lacazette. Pedigree and achievements neither.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
nice to see Anderlecht play offensive football rather than park the bus. And so far, it's working great (outside the score). PSG has had 3 chances, Anderlecht at least as much.

I like when smaller teams aren't afraid to push forward.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What makes Lacazette an inferior player to Auba?
Please enlighten me?
Except speed, Auba has nothing on Lacazette. Pedigree and achievements neither.

Speed & clinicality. Auba is just a more prolific goal getter in the box. Lacazette is the more skilled player but Auba is the more lethal finisher. I know Lacazette scored a lot of (penalty) goals for Lyon, but that's not the same and I think you know that. Though you just can't believe that a player who left the french world developed significantly in another developmental environment.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Clinicality? Stop. Please stop.

To say Lacazette has scored a lot of penalty goals is fun. And ignorant at best.
Auba is french. I've known him before you even watched football. I saw more of him than you could wish. Same with Lacazette whom I commented about on this board when he was 17 after I noticed him in youth competition.
I also saw both live multiple times, something you never did most likely.

Lacazette is younger and scored MUCH more goals in comparable environments. Like TWICE as much.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And anyway, regarding this BVB/Arsenal debate, Lacazette is better then every BVB player except Reus (when healthy). Ozil and Sanchez too.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What does their age have to do with who is better right now?

I think most people would take Aubameyang over Lacazette. I would.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It's also because Auba still looks like a baby and Lacazette's got a solid dad look

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well since Auba was barely a decent player at Lacazette's age.... it sure helps to understand, doesn't it?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well since Auba was barely a decent player at Lacazette's age.... it sure helps to understand, doesn't it?
It's completely irrelevant when talking about who is better right now. Development is rarely linear.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As I said, you are too trapped in the player Auba was when he left France, not the player he is now. He has grown unbelievably. Could Lacazette make similar strides in time? Sure, but that doesn't change who's the better striker now. Lacazette today is not better than Aubameyang, Weigl, Dahoud or Reus...whether he could become better than Auba or not.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Of course it does. It tells you Auba's current numbers are skewed of being on the right team at the right time. His stats are misleading regarding his talents.
Lacazette's stats have been excellent ever since he has been moved at striker.

Didn't think it could be any easier to understand.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As I said, you are too trapped in the player Auba was when he left France, not the player he is now. He has grown unbelievably. Could Lacazette make similar strides in time? Sure, but that doesn't change who's the better striker now. Lacazette today is not better than Aubameyang, Weigl, Dahoud or Reus...whether he could become better than Auba or not.
He's better than all except Reus.

Again, the only fair comparison stats wise are between their seasons in the same league. Ass whopping. Auba is in the right situation. Everyone acknowledges it and that's why big teams didn't pay 80M for a 30M scorer (while spending similar cash on players not producing that much).
Really, that tells the whole story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad