GWT: CL Matchweek 2

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Spurs reminding me a little of Arsenal back in the day against Bayern. Love that former Arsenal man Gnabry got 4 on them!

Also feeling silly for saying I'm not scared of Bayern early, they looked scary today, like really scary...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Spursfans gonna see Gnabry making soup in their sleep
Spurs reminding me a little of Arsenal back in the day against Bayern. Love that former Arsenal man Gnabry got 4 on them!

Also feeling silly for saying I'm not scared of Bayern early, they looked scary today, like really scary...
I remember last season when it wasn’t impressive that Liverpool beat Bayern because they weren’t as good as those teams.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I remember last season when it wasn’t impressive that Liverpool beat Bayern because they weren’t as good as those teams.

This Bayern team isn't as good as the one in the past. This game just showed how bad Spurs is.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
This Bayern team isn't as good as the one in the past. This game just showed how bad Spurs is.

This Bayern team is younger, faster, healthier and deeper than the one Liverpool faced last season.

Lucas, Pavard, Coutinho, Perisic are all quality players - with Lucas and Pavard absurdly versatile so you don't have to carry around 4 unhappy CBs (and Javi can play there).

They also have a healthy Tolisso now and so far Koman's been healthy as well.
And a healthy Neuer.

Last year seemed to be a transitional year for them and they still got won the domestic double, even thought they never really looked in it against Liverpool.

This year though, they seem to have their mojo back, Kovac has 2 systems that seem to work and they look a genuine contender again.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
6A8EE673-418D-4242-86DD-0E697975DD73.jpeg

9247D023-4F12-450D-ABF7-F24777ADDFD1.jpeg

Reactions: Rob and AB13

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Savage from Martinez, though Gnabry did get it back.

Also the narrative that Liverpool beating Spurs in the final isn't impressive is a little strange. Tottenham/Ajax had to come through Real Madrid, Manchester City and Juventus. Liverpool snuffed out Tottenham in the final and completely stifled them but they were no less worthy than other teams in the past of being there based on their run and performances in the CL. At that point domestic form really doesn't matter.

I'm also not sold on this Bayern team being much better than last season. They were a strong team last season and are a strong team this season. Coutinho is talented but I doubt that he makes a difference in the really tough games against the top teams. Tolisso didn't impress me and Neuer looks far from the best keeper in the world he once was. I think 7-2 is a bit flattering to Bayern even in that game, tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad