GWT: CL Match Week 4

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Yea, but the point to Chelsea is very significant for Valencia.
True, but if Valencia beats Chelsea at home and want Ajax to get a point in Lille. If that happens, they are through and they could even do a West Germany/Austria the last match day.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
It looks good for Bundesliga-Clubs. Bayern, RB, BVB go through. Only Bayer 04 is the black sheep. ;)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Massive comeback to get the draw for Chelsea today, they desperately needed that. Need a good result against Valencia now.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I really feel for Ajax after watching the highlight show. I think there are many people that would feel the first penalty shouldn't have been one, and the whole play with Blind/Veltman and the ensuing cards was absolutely insane. Coupled with the way the first game between them...woof.
Ox has more CL goals than Hazard.
Just to clarify...this is career CL goals. Chambo has 9 and Hazard has 8.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
They both have zero CL so they both are ass
0_Tottenham-Hotspur-v-Liverpool-UEFA-Champions-League-Final.jpg

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I really feel for Ajax after watching the highlight show. I think there are many people that would feel the first penalty shouldn't have been one, and the whole play with Blind/Veltman and the ensuing cards was absolutely insane. Coupled with the way the first game between them...woof.

Just to clarify...this is career CL goals. Chambo has 9 and Hazard has 8.
I have never seen a 2 double red cards like that.

Personally I think the referee should get a call and explain what was is thought process because everything behind it werr wrong.

One foul (not called) on Blind, then second after a second yellow foul on the same Blind (usually ref has to stop play if they are about to give a 2nd yellow), then a handball (another 2nd yellow) and penalty...

That was very bad calls all around

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I have never seen a 2 double red cards like that.

Personally I think the referee should get a call and explain what was is thought process because everything behind it werr wrong.

One foul (not called) on Blind, then second after a second yellow foul on the same Blind (usually ref has to stop play if they are about to give a 2nd yellow), then a handball (another 2nd yellow) and penalty...

That was very bad calls all around

As I mentioned before, the foul on Blind was missed, although I can understand that being interpretation. It may have looked like Blind went down as part of his shoulder to shoulder challenge on the Chelsea player (Mount IIRC). I think the Chelsea player initiated a distinct kick out at Blind separate from the shoulder to shoulder challenge, but I understand the ref seeing it different even if I don't agree.

Where the ref made a mistake, and one that really got things out of control, was his decision to play advantage after Blind's challenge. The Laws of the Game explicitly state
Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal.
The circumstances right after the Blind challenge involved the wide Chelsea player running onto the ball in the outer third of the pitch roughly 30 yards from the endline with multiple Ajax defenders between him and the goal. That is, by no reasonable definition, a "clear opportunity to score a goal"

Right after foul:
VcbXoSV.png

A second later with the ref signaling advantage:
hW4SIgp.png

The proper action (not just good game management, but actually explicitly specified in the rules) was to immediately blow the whistle immediately and book/send off Blind. The referee's failure to do that is what turned it from a possibly slightly controversial, but still fairly routine, situation to one that dramatically altered the game and potentially Champions League knockout qualification.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Chelsea right now are gifted 4 points form Ajax directly. Wonder where all the conspiracy theories are?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Great day for soccer. Arsenal, then Juve, then whatever game is on now for each person.

I take it back. This game is going to be boring

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad