GWT: CL Match Day 6

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Pretty sure this rule doesn't exist anymore.

What you mean?

In the past, rule was: last man foul in the box - pen + straight red. No exceptions.

New rule - and this is the bit some refs seem to struggling with:

- last man foul in the box while attempting to play the ball - pen, no red card

- last man foul in the box with no attempt at the ball (or when there's obviously no chance to get it) - pen, red card

And this is where the refs struggle. Laporte had no chance to get the ball, nor was he playing it - straight red every day of the week.

Another example is the Croatia-Denmark game from the WC. Modric put Rebic on goal, he goes past Schmeichel and Jorgensen tackles him from behind, with no chance to get the ball and and a open goal 6 feet in front of him.
Yet the ref (who went to to ref the final, btw, and did what he did there) - gave just a yellow.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Ah OK I thought you meant the automatic red card for the last defenseman.

Nah, just meant that refs seems to be struggling with the new rule and that defenders (at times) get away with a blatant red card foul because of it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also as good as some of our players have been, namely Alisson and van Dijk, I still think Robertson has been our player of the season so far. The work he does from the left is absolutely fantastic; I can't think of many mistakes he's made this season, if any, and he always gives 100%. I'm not sure I'd trade him for any other leftback in the world atm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad