GWT: CL Match Day 2

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Ajacied, are you familiar how de Ligt's physical tests have been at Ajax, have there been any stories regarding them?

I understand physical traits aren't everything, but from what I've seen, I'm not sure if his thighs are at good enough condition muscularwise for a league like Premier League yet. Of course he can work on them, but if he doesn't, he might have regular injury problems with them. Of course it might not be as much of a problem if he ends up in, say, Barcelona.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Random question, do Spurs fans like Lamela?

I am not a fan but a Spurs media guy did a twitter poll (I know very scientific) and it was something like 70-30 like versus unlike.

I think at times he shows so much talent and when he is on he is awesome, but he also makes so many dumb, frustrating mistakes that those stand out more to me than the good plays. Through in the injuries and I don't think he is reliable enough to be a key member of the team. Especially when we are skimping out this year on depth as it is.

Reactions: robertmac43

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The goalkeeping on the Coutinho goal was the worst I've seen so far this season. Rushing out on a 3 v. 3 is idiotic.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Curtis Jones may yet get his opportunities this season.

I hope Fabinho gets up to speed sooner than later.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ajacied, are you familiar how de Ligt's physical tests have been at Ajax, have there been any stories regarding them?

I understand physical traits aren't everything, but from what I've seen, I'm not sure if his thighs are at good enough condition muscularwise for a league like Premier League yet. Of course he can work on them, but if he doesn't, he might have regular injury problems with them. Of course it might not be as much of a problem if he ends up in, say, Barcelona.

Matthijs' physical attributes are what makes him so special. He turned 19 just a month ago and might still develop his body further, but already he is built like an ox, including thick thighs. What games or images have you been watching? Just curious :)
His strength, upper or lower body, is not what might hold him back in the Premier League. I think the gap between the Eredivisie and the Premier League is quite big and I'm sure he needs some time to adapt, I just hope he gets it whenever he does decide to go overseas. The Premier League can be a bit harsh at that.

I see de Ligt flourish everywhere, though. Not sure I ever felt so confident about an Ajax talent.

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Can't choose which match to watch. Settled on Napoli-Liverpool but I feel like I'm gonna be missing some Messi magic and Spurs tears (both are highly prized in my household).

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Dortmund's play through midfield is slow and just random/inefficient. Not fast enough to counter either. They're always so dull in the first half of games. Not sure where they'll find the second half goals when the usual "subbed in against tired defenders" options - Paco and Sancho - have been playing since the start.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dortmund's play through midfield is slow and just random/inefficient. Not fast enough to counter either. They're always so dull in the first half of games. Not sure where they'll find the second half goals when the usual "subbed in against tired defenders" options - Paco and Sancho - have been playing since the start.

I was just thinking that we better find a goal in the next 15 minutes because the bench options for today are abysmal. Maybe Guerreiro could be of use today. I think I might switch the RB before I bring in Bruun-Larsen or Philipp for offense.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm not watching the game, but I'm surprised Monaco is still tied. They've been so awful this season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Take Milner off for Fabinho IMO. Even though the latter hasn't been...fabulous...Milner is just out of form.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Dutch winger Groeneveld scored a fantastic goal for Brugge at Atleti to cancel out Griezmann's opening goal. Brugge playing very well just as they did against Dortmund in the first game. Atleti still has to make a push though so expecting a very tough second half.

Keeping an eye on Barça as well, I really like Arthur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad