GWT: CL Match Day 2

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
:laugh:
Sour grapes taste great.
France scored the most amount of goals in the WC since Italy 82 or something.
And Pogba was certainly great both sides of the ball. Again, a million times better than Kroos who you rate "MUCH higher" than Gerrard.

What? No they didn't. They didn't even score as much as they did in '98 which was renowned for being a great defensive team.

Aside from the game against Argentina and the second-half of the final I didn't see them play very offensively either.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Kroos is absolutely gassed after three straight years of winning the CL and starting nearly every match for club and country and it shows. Regardless of current form (where they're both ineffective), Pogba isn't fit to shine his boots.

What do you have against Kroos anyway?
Carried by Schweinsteiger, Vidal and Modric his whole career.

Doesn't defend well at all.

Sideway passes that people orgasm over.

There are at least a dozen players better than him at his position.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Since the 1st 2 games of the season Benzema has been useless.

Mariano looks much more hungrier than him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What? No they didn't. They didn't even score as much as they did in '98 which was renowned for being a great defensive team.

Aside from the game against Argentina and the second-half of the final I didn't see them play very offensively either.
Sorry, in the knockout stage.
11 goals IIRC. As much as Germany, who benefited from the 7-1 semi final.

Reactions: robertmac43

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Lifeless performance from United and a poor game overall. Valencia looked decent until the final pass/decision, seemed to settle for a draw. A more confident team would have taken advantage. Wouldn't be surprised by another 0-0 in the return fixture.

Shaw was decent, one of United's better players this season. Rashford was the only one who looked like scoring. Lukaku was awful, Sanchez not much better. Fred should have come on, needed some energy in midfield. Making one sub made no sense.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Lifeless performance from United and a poor game overall. Valencia looked decent until the final pass/decision, seemed to settle for a draw. A more confident team would have taken advantage. Wouldn't be surprised by another 0-0 in the return fixture.

Shaw was decent, one of United's better players this season. Rashford was the only one who looked like scoring. Lukaku was awful, Sanchez not much better. Fred should have come on, needed some energy in midfield. Making one sub made no sense.
Mou out before the weekend!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Previous discussions about him. He's highly overrated by some people here. Also his behaviour towards his teammates (Ozil and Sane) is full of ****.

And I don't think he's gassed BTW. Running has always been optionnal with him.

He's clearly better than Pogba will ever be. Dunno what you're talking about behaviour - Kroos called Sané out after his manager told him to. I don't want to talk about Özil, he's a weird guy and a weird case.

lol

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
He didn't come close to it and he got part of Sane.

I just don't understand a no call there. If it's not a pen, it's a clear dive. Either you give a pen or you give Sane a booking, the middle ground makes zero sense.
The only way it would be neither is if Baumann got ball.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Impressive win from Roma today. That's 3 big time performances on the bounce.

I didn't get to watch , but somehow Madrid lost (as I'm sure it's been discussed), so that's a big bonus as well.

Let's keep it rolling.

Reactions: robertmac43

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol RM, if you're not going to take it seriously let some Arsenal in there instead.

I think that was the CL campaign for Manu... Don't envision they get a result in Spain.
I quite like Valencia, but they've been one of the most disappointing teams in all of Europe along with Man United. That's as much of an open game as there is.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kroos is absolutely gassed after three straight years of winning the CL and starting nearly every match for club and country and it shows. Regardless of current form (where they're both ineffective), Pogba isn't fit to shine his boots.

What do you have against Kroos anyway?
I haven't read the entire thread, but are you arguing that Kroos is better than Pogba? If so, that is some good weed wherever you live. I honestly don't know what Kroos provides on the pitch, except that he's a good warrior/player. Actually, if there is one German who would look amazing in a Nazi uniform, I think Toni is that guy.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

I don't know what is most wrong about that statement, all points are pretty ridiculous.

But I'm gonna go with "got carried by Vidal".
Since, you know, they never played together.

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I haven't read the entire thread, but are you arguing that Kroos is better than Pogba? If so, that is some good weed wherever you live. I honestly don't know what Kroos provides on the pitch, except that he's a good warrior/player. Actually, if there is one German who would look amazing in a Nazi uniform, I think Toni is that guy.

Before the WC, very few would argue Pogba is better than Kroos.
Pogba had a very good WC and deserved the praise and recognition. He was in a situation to succeed and he did so - in a system not unlike Mou's, but with better players.

Now, I'd say, it's fair to argue for both, for Kroos and for Pogba. Different players, but both absolute top tier midfielders.

I honestly don't know what Kroos provides on the pitch,

Without even concealing the high horse I'm riding on when I see these statements, a lot of people who are not that deep into football don't get it.
You are far from the only person to say "they don't know what Kroos provides on the pitch" and you are far from the only person to be, well, wrong.
Either he's the luckiest footballer in history and gets carried to numerous CLs, league titles and World Cups, or maybe, just maybe, you don't see what he does and the fault is with you.
On a slower day at work I'll even compile a tutorial as to why Kroos is so good, just for the people who "don't see it".

Madrid are in trouble, but Kroos is the last guy to blame. Zidane had tactical faults, but he played his midfield to perfection.
I'm just gonna repeat what I wrote the other day.

Zidane did brilliantly in 3/3 CLs and 2/3 La Ligas. His first year he almost caught up with Barca after Benitez was sacked, won the title the 2nd year, messed up the 3rd, happens. Yet still people somehow labeled him as a tactical noob or whatever.

For me, his tactics were underrated and his in-game changes were second to none, with a lot of changes in game deciding matches (not just substitutes, but identifying problem areas and adjusting - like swapping to 4-4-2 vs PSG at home etc.).

Well, for starters, he used his players correctly.
He played a very stretched system that, yes, sometimes made them look bad defensively, but it worked because it had absolute world class players at every position in defence and midfield, because they covered ground smartly, had the fastest CB pairing of all top teams, were press-immune thanks to Modric's ability to open passing lanes and Kroos' passing, they opened up quickly with vertical plays and exploiting empty pockets of space, and for me, they were very exciting to watch, as well as being very successful.
Casemiro was fantastic and used so smartly by ZZ. He was basically ignored in build up, he would push up and Modric and Kroos drop deep, and he would basically play 3rd CB if needed on defence.
Also, Cristiano Ronaldo meant, as Allegri says, that you basically start 1-0 up.

Under Lopetegui, so far... Casemiro is back to playing out from defense, and of course, he's struggling.
Modric, for some reason I cannot understand, plays much higher up the pitch, and although he's getting more chances to directly create scoring chances now, the resistance to press is basically gone from Real without him to counter it.
The most press-immune team of the last 5 years, the fastest-transitioning team of the last 5 years is now having problems transitioning from defence to attack against Bilbao and Sevilla. Sergio Ramos is playing like Sammer did for Borussia and Germany, expect Sammer went forward smartly and Ramos is just going up the pitch randomly.

TLDR; Zidane was criminally underrated for a manager who won so much and his football was open, fast - sometimes prone to defensive lapses - but exciting and sucessful.
Lopetegui-ball is slow, predictable, defensive but with the ball (tiki-taka without purpose, only 100% safe passes go forward) and, for a guy who watches every Madrid and Barca game, the biggest offense - incredibly dull and boring.

I'll add to that that the new Spanish boys just might not be all that, at least not yet.
They take too many touches on the ball and - for now - are the type of players to make you "win more" in games you're already winning, as opposed to actually win you the game (Asensio and Ceballos most of all).

Also, didn't help that their depth - a huge part of what made them so dominant in 16/17 - is gone.

Anyway, really pleased for Vlasic, he's still so young and now his career is back on track.
He's got the body of Rebic but with much more vision and technique, I love his potential, I hope he puts it all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
First off, I'm not German but that nazi reference is in very poor taste. I realize that it'll take decades or centuries for the German people to shed that image but in a discussion about footballers it isn't necessary or needed.

Calling Kroos a sideways passer directly contradicts the whole point of retaining possession which is almost universally praised and acknowledged at this point. It takes a lot of smarts, skills, and guile to both (1) recycle possession (ie continue and enable attacking movements) and (2) resist the counter-press.

Kroos under Zidane got up into the edge of the opponents final third and retained and recycled possession right up there. He went right up to the opposing CM/DM and rendered their press completely inutile with his skillful body feints and elite level touch and managed to initiate attacks that got through to the wingers or wing backs. Being so far up to do that is risky if you can't be relied upon to actually manage to effectively perform the duty - if you lose the ball you're caught well up and are going to be useless in tracking back. Kroos gets the ball wherever he wants it, his passing range is excellent - perhaps not Alonso level but close to it - and he's good at beating the tackler (better than Alonso). He's a modern, more up-beat evolution of a Pirlo.

Sideways passing at the edge of your own box is useless. Sideways passing at the halfway line doesn't get you anywhere. Sideways passing between the halfway line and the edge of the opponent's box puts you on the green, ready for a putt and is almost always dangerous.

He may not be a "complete" player - he isn't good defensively, isn't quick, and has looked out of sorts since the summer (I don't think he was particularly poor at the WC, he did his primary job (recycle possession) well imo - it was the entire team that fell apart) - but he's very good at enabling a team to win games and that is what ultimately matters. He is startlingly effective and putting his team in a position to win points and win games, it's been proven time and time again and - that makes him a great player.

Pogba's WC win with the pre-tournament favourites notwithstanding, he hasn't gotten his team to win anything. He personally hasn't done anything impressive either. The player who can do all those flair moves but eventually runs into the corner and loses the ball is not better than the player who can't do those moves but makes killer passes quietly and effectively. The point of the game is to score more than your opponent - one of them can get their team to do it much better than the other and it's clear which one it is.

Kroos' current form is unfortunate - I think Corto's analysis is right, the Zidane midfield was rightfully praised as masterfully balanced. Modric did the roaming and was the engine, Kroos the possession distributor, and Casemiro was the premium possession clean up guy (not just a destroyer). On the left side of the pitch with Marcelo and Ronaldo ahead of him and Casemiro covering for him Kroos was weaving magic. It was as impressive and frightful as Pep's Barcelona - which to me seemed like the greatest team I'd ever see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mmvvpp

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sigh....
Most of what you say about Kroos is true although of course exaggerated to stress your point.
What you say about Pogba though.... That throws your whole post to the garbage can.

Reactions: Gecklund

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Sigh....
Most of what you say about Kroos is true although of course exaggerated to stress your point.
What you say about Pogba though.... That throws your whole post to the garbage can.

Me? I said Pogba had a very good WC, and is a situation to succeed with France, as opposed to United, where he plays a similar system but with inferior players.

Also, side not, but purely for argument's sake. :D
If one says: "French jersery is blue, and the Croatian one is yellow." .... The Croatian jersey not being yellow doesn't mean the French isn't blue, meaning the "entire post" is not garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad