GWT: CL Match Day 2

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That Red Star Belgrad is under suspicion of illegal bets?
L'Equipe tries to use titles that would include PSG in the whole thing, but the facts only point out that Red Star's owner bet against his own team.
And tbh, who would bet anything but a PSG win in that game?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
DIdn't want to start another thread but LFC are thinking about not including Shaqiri in the lineup against Red Start I for one hope he starts and scores a hat trick. That would be delicious.

Reactions: All Might

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
DIdn't want to start another thread but LFC are thinking about not including Shaqiri in the lineup against Red Start I for one hope he starts and scores a hat trick. That would be delicious.

He's staying home.

Because unlike you Liverpool actually wants to avoid creating trouble

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He's staying home.

Because unlike you Liverpool actually wants to avoid creating trouble

Unless, they think fans will rush on the pitch and attack him (I wouldn't put it past them) nothing will happen. I would hope security is tight and won't allow for that. Either way seeing Red star cry would be worth it.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Unless, they think fans will rush on the pitch and attack him (I wouldn't put it past them) nothing will happen. I would hope security is tight and won't allow for that. Either way seeing Red star cry would be worth it.

I was (they are) thinking probably more of pointless fines and other such repercussions

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Shaqiri is the kind of hothead where it would just take a player or fan or steward or *anyone* say the wrong thing and he'd go off doing all kinds of stupid stuff that could be embarrassing for LFC.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Shaqiri is the kind of hothead where it would just take a player or fan or steward or *anyone* say the wrong thing and he'd go off doing all kinds of stupid stuff that could be embarrassing for LFC.
He's never been sent off in his PL career and averages a yellow once every 10 games.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
This stuff is personal. This goes way beyond sport. He wouldn't be coming at any conflict on the field from a competitive nature - it'd be from a real personal nature.
It is, but that is pretty much how any Kosovo-Albanian person would react in that environment. That doesn't make them a hothead.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Shaqiri would almost certainly do something to set off a riot, even if Liverpool explicitly asked him to refrain from doing any such thing. The Swiss federation explicitly asked him not to perform any acts of Albanian nationalist nature and nevertheless he did exactly that at the World Cup when provoked. Being unable to stop yourself from responding to provocation against better knowledge and direct instruction from your superiors is what I'd call 'hothead' behavior.

Reactions: bluesfan94

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I'd rather win a game than be worried about a potential fine but that's just me.
If Shaqiri is the difference between the two sides then there’re other issues for Liverpool to worry about. Also if shaqiri did something rash, it could have an effect on the game, say by being down a man. Just not worth the headache.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG is playing for its future at Napoli.
A loss would move them extremely close to elimination, and even though it's a tough group, it's something that won't be accepted. Neymar will probably leave it that's the case and players like Verratti, Rabiot (on a free), Cavani, Thiago Silva and co could all leave.
Tuchel's position would be extremely difficult too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG will use a 3-4-3 with the usual 3 at the back, Verratti/Rabiot in midfield, Meunier/ADM on the wings, and the fantastic 3 up front.
In some ways I hope Cavani wins it for PSG in front of Napoli fans :D

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Wonder if we see another Ancelotti European masterclass. They already beat Liverpool at home.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG will use a 3-4-3 with the usual 3 at the back, Verratti/Rabiot in midfield, Meunier/ADM on the wings, and the fantastic 3 up front.
In some ways I hope Cavani wins it for PSG in front of Napoli fans :D
Cavani is coming off injury and might not start. Draxler should start on the wing and Mbappe up front in that case.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
PSG is playing for its future at Napoli.
A loss would move them extremely close to elimination, and even though it's a tough group, it's something that won't be accepted. Neymar will probably leave it that's the case and players like Verratti, Rabiot (on a free), Cavani, Thiago Silva and co could all leave.
Tuchel's position would be extremely difficult too.
Unlucky year for Tuchel if this is the case. This was always going to be a very difficult group for all three of Liverpool, Napoli and PSG; fine margins mean it would be easy for any of those three to go out.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I agree. Circumstances.

If only this team hadn't crashed miserably against City in that QF, Blanc would probably still be there and this would not happen.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I agree. Circumstances.

If only this team hadn't crashed miserably against City in that QF, Blanc would probably still be there and this would not happen.
It reminds me somewhat of Brendan Rodgers' unceremonious exit from Liverpool. Not the same situation but a lot of circumstances surrounding it that were out of his control and paved the way for Klopp (which wasn't a bad thing either, but I feel Rodgers gets a bad rep for that downturn at Liverpool despite being a good manager).

It would be hard for PSG to rebound quickly if they do lose all of those players from a down year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad