GWT: CL Match Day 2

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I think the reason Weigl isn’t played more often is that Favre’s first choice player in CM is Witsel. Witsel and Delaney interchange responsibilities a lot, but Weigl is more of a pure holdings guy. The first time he tried playing them together it didn’t really work.

I'm pretty sure that was down to Favre's communication rather than Weigl's capabilities as a player. He has played further up before. I wouldn't say it was worse than what we usually see of Witsel-Delaney either.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Spurs essentially put themselves in a spot where they need to win their 2 games against PSV. Dropping any points there would almost guarantee a Europa league trip.

Inter are already on 6. Not only do Spurs need to take 6 points from PSV, they also essentially need to win against Inter if they want to have a chance, and even that might not be enough.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Inter are already on 6. Not only do Spurs need to take 6 points from PSV, they also essentially need to win against Inter if they want to have a chance, and even that might not be enough.
They're playing Inter at home, they should be fine IMO.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I certainly didnt expect 3 point today. Losing in the last minute obviously is the worst but it happens. 6 points against Red Star gets Liverpool through no matter what happened today.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Even if they beat Inter, they still need six points from PSV and will most likely need a result at the Nou Camp.

Why most likely?

Beat Inter by 2 and match them against PSV, which isn't that hard especially since Inter only won by 1 in the first leg, and they have it.

If they beat Inter and take 6 points from PSV I think it is pretty unlikely they need anything at the Nou Camp.

Reactions: All Might

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Why most likely?

Beat Inter by 2 and match them against PSV, which isn't that hard especially since Inter only won by 1 in the first leg, and they have it.

If they beat Inter and take 6 points from PSV I think it is pretty unlikely they need anything at the Nou Camp.

6 points against PSV are far from a certainty. PSV is a good team.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Watching 3 matches at the same time is hard work, friends. :D
The Napoli-Liverpool and Spurs-Barca games people mostly commented on, I'll do...

PSV - Inter
Inter was the better side, but PSV had their chances, and I'd be surprised if they didn't pick up any points in the last 4 games.
Icardi was the X factor, could have had another goal or two, Brozovic absolutely controlled the midfield the entire game and Radja came through when it mattered.
They're still missing Vrsaljko, and Vecino/Gagliardini are definitely not top tier players that you need to challenge for Serie A, but they could be a potential bomb in the KO rounds should they get through.
With Icardi, Perisic and Radja they have 3 guys who can decide the game by themselves, Brozovic, again, has grown into a fantastic regista (better than Jorginho for me), and their CBs are fantastic.
Spaletti still needs to find his optimal combination for the right side (Politano's been decent, but whether it's him or Balde long term, remains to be seen; and Vrsaljko is still injured)... And that one midfield spot looks iffy, but other than that, they're getting better and better as a team.

I quite like Inter's chances in the CL, actually. I don't think they have the consistency to challenge Juve in Serie A, but on their day, they have the players and the ability to beat any team.

Honestly, I think Spurs are in trouble. Beating PSV twice is far from a certainty, as is a win home vs Inter.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think PSG will take 6 from Napoli. Napoli dropped points to Red Star already.

Liverpool drawing Napoli at home should put them through.
Not sure PSG gets all 6 points from Napoli. Especially away.
I could see all 3 teams winning 2 games against Zagreb and winning at home against the big teams. That draw against Zagreb would then mean Napoli would be out.
But it's going to be tight, as I expected.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Not sure PSG gets all 6 points from Napoli. Especially away.
I could see all 3 teams winning 2 games against Zagreb and winning at home against the big teams. That draw against Zagreb would then mean Napoli would be out.
But it's going to be tight, as I expected.

Does not compute.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah I feel 9 points should be enough of a cushion. It'll be close though. I dont think Napoli beat Liverpool at Anfield either. PSG is much better than Napoli as well.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
6 points against PSV are far from a certainty. PSV is a good team.

I don't think it is a certainty at all I just think if they do get those 6 points and do beat Inter that it is unlikely they need a result in Camp Nou.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->