Rumor: Chychrun To LA for Clarke

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I hope to whatever deity might exist that we wouldn't do that.
that's my point. You would try to do everything in your power to make a deal that didn't include a A+ asset like Cooley. And that's Matthews not Chychrun. On the same list that Cooley is ranked #1 Clarke and Byfield are ranked 6th and 8th accordingly.

In trades and especially trades with prospects who are highly ranked it's extremely rare that prospects of this magnitude get dealt. You can say that "but you are getting Chychrun in return
and while that is correct but you are also "getting Chychrun in return" and teams don't give up 8 years of control on prime prospects very easily.

In trades its about who is available not what a player is necessarily worth. This is why my focus on the return has always been the draft picks. Teams will move those more easily because they haven't got a name attached yet.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
that's my point. You would try to do everything in your power to make a deal that didn't include a A+ asset like Cooley. And that's Matthews not Chychrun. On the same list that Cooley is ranked #1 Clarke and Byfield are ranked 6th and 8th accordingly.

In trades and especially trades with prospects who are highly ranked it's extremely rare that prospects of this magnitude get dealt. You can say that "but you are getting Chychrun in return
and while that is correct but you are also "getting Chychrun in return" and teams don't give up 8 years of control on prime prospects very easily.

In trades its about who is available not what a player is necessarily worth. This is why my focus on the return has always been the draft picks. Teams will move those more easily because they haven't got a name attached yet.
Yes but if a team doesn't want to give up their draft picks then the A assets have to come from somewhere. You can't just be like "none of our top 3 youngsters, no consecutive year 1sts, all 1sts top 10 protected, etc, etc" and expect a trade for someone like Chychrun to come to fruition.

I remember when Dylan Strome was ranked in the top 5 of lists like you're referring to. We all know how that went, these prospects fail to come even close to meeting expectations all the time. Chychrun is proven, Byfield and Clarke are not and are definitely not in the "can't miss" category of players. To be clear I'm not saying Chychrun gets you either one but it's absurd to act like them being part of a Chychrun deal is unfathomable.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yes but if a team doesn't want to give up their draft picks then the A assets have to come from somewhere. You can't just be like "none of our top 3 youngsters, no consecutive year 1sts, all 1sts top 10 protected, etc, etc" and expect a trade for someone like Chychrun to come to fruition.

I remember when Dylan Strome was ranked in the top 5 of lists like you're referring to. We all know how that went, these prospects fail to come even close to meeting expectations all the time. Chychrun is proven, Byfield and Clarke are not and are definitely not in the "can't miss" category of players. To be clear I'm not saying Chychrun gets you either one but it's absurd to act like them being part of a Chychrun deal is unfathomable.
yes the team has to give up something of value. my bet is on the draft pick(s).

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Byfield is in the "can't miss" category of player. Clarke isn't. He's much more comparable to a guy like Strome.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Byfield is in the "can't miss" category of player. Clarke isn't. He's much more comparable to a guy like Strome.
Byfield was in the "can't miss" category at one point. He's been okay so far as a pro. He isn't a lock to be an impact player in the NHL. That could change. I think expectations are higher than what we've seen thus far in terms of offense.

Clarke needs to prove himself at a higher level. He has zip to prove in the CHL.

A year from now you could see your sentence reversed and the Strome comparison legitimately being discussed. And I like Byfield. He's no Stutzle though offensively.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
LA realizes they can open a 3 year window with Chychrun. Kopitar is still their number 1C. Doughty is still their #1D. They have talent and youth as well. I don't see a world were Chych doesn't resign... Also Chych and Clarke is also an unbelievably promising future as well... I don't want to give that to them. We have to play them in the future when we are competitive. If Clarke and Byfield are off the table.. another team can more than easily match the quality of LAs offered prospects/picks. Send him elsewhere. If they want Chych and to shed Peterson.. they need to pay up. It starts with Clarke.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
LA realizes they can open a 3 year window with Chychrun. Kopitar is still their number 1C. Doughty is still their #1D. They have talent and youth as well. I don't see a world were Chych doesn't resign... Also Chych and Clarke is also an unbelievably promising future as well... I don't want to give that to them. We have to play them in the future when we are competitive. If Clarke and Byfield are off the table.. another team can more than easily match the quality of LAs offered prospects/picks. Send him elsewhere. If they want Chych and to shed Peterson.. they need to pay up. It starts with Clarke.
I feel like Kaliyev is the answer. QB and Clarke are untouchable. Turcotte and Spence aren’t good enough as primary pieces. What’s in the middle? Kaliyev.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Disagree on Byfield.
I feel like Kaliyev is the answer. QB and Clarke are untouchable. Turcotte and Spence aren’t good enough as primary pieces. What’s in the middle? Kaliyev.
LA tried. They got close. They let it slip away.
I don't expect them to take another serious run. It would have happened by now.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Kaliyev doesn't do it for me. Young middle 6 complimentary winger doesn't move the needle for me. LA can afford to lose Clarke, it hurts alot... But so does losing Chych and taking peterson.. if they refuse to then we move to Boston,EDM,Toronto etc... Every team has a kaliyev value player. LA wants us to play against Chych and open up their window so they can milk the last couple years out of Kopitar and doughty? then pay up.. I'm not competing in 5 years and wanting my team to play against Chych and Clarke along with all their depth they already have

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Kaliyev doesn't do it for me. Young middle 6 complimentary winger doesn't move the needle for me. LA can afford to lose Clarke, it hurts alot... But so does losing Chych and taking peterson.. if they refuse to then we move to Boston,EDM,Toronto etc... Every team has a kaliyev value player. LA wants us to play against Chych and open up their window so they can milk the last couple years out of Kopitar and doughty? then pay up.. I'm not competing in 5 years and wanting my team to play against Chych and Clarke along with all their depth they already have
I was initially okay with the Kaliyev, Spence and a 1st for Chych but I've changed my mind. I'm moving on from trading with LA. They're like the kid in the playground that wants to trade his crackers for your Subway sandwich.

• Haha
Reactions: Nowotny and Sinurgy

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I was initially okay with the Kaliyev, Spence and a 1st for Chych but I've changed my mind. I'm moving on from trading with LA. They're like the kid in the playground that wants to trade his crackers for your Subway sandwich.
That Subway sandwich isn't going to keep well. I'm glad Bill has held firm with his price til now. Come Mar 3, I hope he takes the best available offer. I don't want this dragging past the deadline.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It would help Keller, Crouse, Hayton, Moser, Valimaki, etc cope better I think. To have actual roster players that can home in and plug holes and help out right now. New friends. Also takes some pressure off Cooley, Fantilli, and Guenther next season.

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
I think the asset Blake seemingly “caved” on is Vilardi. We all know Armstrong wanted him last year and Blake said no. Now the trade is supposedly close and the only assets mentioned as untouchable are Clarke and Byfield. Vilardi makes sense to me.
Vilardi has a chronic back condition.Details were not made public but I would be concerned.Especially if Kings are "suddenly" willing to trade him

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Kaliyev? Nah, one dimensional power play winger. This is a trade where you target something that’s gonna be a core piece. Need a Dman or center

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
From Seravalli:

Who swipes left?
To New Jersey: Lawson Crouse, Karel Vejmelka
To Arizona: 2023 1st Round Pick, 2024 2nd Round Pick, 2025 4th Round Pick, Andreas Johnsson, Mackenzie Blackwood

Who swipes left?
To Los Angeles: Jakob Chychrun
To Arizona: 2023 1st Round Pick, 2024 1st Round Pick, Jordan Spence, Cal Petersen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Disagree on Byfield.
LA tried. They got close. They let it slip away.
I don't expect them to take another serious run. It would have happened by now.
You never know. I have seen teams circle back.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
For what it's worth, if it turns out that BA values Chychrun higher than the other teams, just hold on to him. I'm not interested in a "who won" scenario. If Chychrun brings us what we want, and brings Boston or LA the Cup, I'm fine with that.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
From Seravalli:

Who swipes left?
To New Jersey: Lawson Crouse, Karel Vejmelka
To Arizona: 2023 1st Round Pick, 2024 2nd Round Pick, 2025 4th Round Pick, Andreas Johnsson, Mackenzie Blackwood

Who swipes left?
To Los Angeles: Jakob Chychrun
To Arizona: 2023 1st Round Pick, 2024 1st Round Pick, Jordan Spence, Cal Petersen
I am old. Is LEFT accept or reject?

Coyotes should NOT do the Jersey deal.

Coyotes should accept the Kings deal (but there has to be some retention on Petersen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad