Chychrun Megathread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundance74

Oct 13, 2013
North of Puszta
I have no problem with people changing their opinions. I just find it kind of funny many were saying Chick was worth four quality pieces because of what BA said, and now it's down to one for one.
One for one could make sense. Marner for Chych? Done.
We'll see what the outcome will be. In the end we don't need to trade him. We don't need to pay anybody to take him. So I trust BA, that we'll get something nice

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Me personally, I’d go Nemec at 3 and Gauthier at 5, but I know this take is frowned upon here. Haha

I think the drop off from Cooley to Gauthier is signficant enough that I wouldn't want to go that route. I'd rather do whatever we have to to swap #5 with SEA (or get the to pass on Nemec) so we could go Cooley + Nemec.

But Nemec at #3 is not crazy, especially if we expect to get a top 3-4 pick next year and get one of the top F's.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Me personally, I’d go Nemec at 3 and Gauthier at 5, but I know this take is frowned upon here. Haha
I’d be pretty darn happy with that. But I’d be happier to pick Cooley at 3rd and Jiricek at 5th, though. If I had the chance.

I think the drop off from Cooley to Gauthier is signficant enough that I wouldn't want to go that route. I'd rather do whatever we have to to swap #5 with SEA (or get the to pass on Nemec) so we could go Cooley + Nemec.

But Nemec at #3 is not crazy, especially if we expect to get a top 3-4 pick next year and get one of the top F's.
I like Nemec better than Jiricek, too. I don’t think I have Nemec a whole Top45 pick ahead though.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I’d be pretty darn happy with that. But I’d be happier to pick Cooley at 3rd and Jiricek at 5th, though. If I had the chance.

I like Nemec better than Jiricek, too. I don’t think I have Nemec a whole Top45 pick ahead though.

Invariably, one of these 2 guys will end up being meaningfully better than the other. Which one will it be? Hell if I know, that's what the scouting, interviews, medical analyis, etc. are for.

If our scouts believe one or the other will be meaningfully better, it's EASILY worth giving up a 2nd (at a minimum, and maybe a fair bit more) to get that guy.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Bottom three is the goal. This can’t happen. No Johnny, no Chychrun, no Slafkovsky, Nemec, Jiricek, Cooley playing meaningful games in 2022-2023.

Another bottom feeding year with players like Ladd and Kassian playing top line minutes
Some may not like it but this so obviously needs to be the strategy and sure it is. We’ll be adding significant talent in the ‘22 draft including a first line forward. If we can add a top 3 pick in ‘23 BA’s initial work will be done and the development stage will commence.

We’ll compete for a playoff spot in ‘24-‘25 and for many years to follow.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Some may not like it but this so obviously needs to be the strategy and sure it is. We’ll be adding significant talent in the ‘22 draft including a first line forward. If we can add a top 3 pick in ‘23 BA’s initial work will be done and the development stage will commence.

We’ll compete for a playoff spot in ‘24-‘25 and for many years to follow.
I still see us drafting in the 8-10 range and hope that the talent drop off starts at 11. We can't help but be better next year with the experience gained by the Tucson pups and the goalie, the addition of Guenther, the return of Timmons. People who think that we are going to get the top draft pick next year are IMO drinking the Kool Aide. If the 2023 draft was the goal of the rebuild, BA shouldn't have started the rebuild when he did. He should have left things alone for 21-22and dumped everybody prior to 22-23 for 23 draft pics.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I still see us drafting in the 8-10 range and hope that the talent drop off starts at 11. We can't help but be better next year with the experience gained by the Tucson pups and the goalie, the addition of Guenther, the return of Timmons. People who think that we are going to get the top draft pick next year are IMO drinking the Kool Aide. If the 2023 draft was the goal of the rebuild, BA shouldn't have started the rebuild when he did. He should have left things alone for 21-22and dumped everybody prior to 22-23 for 23 draft pics.

Talent drops off at 3 next year. Lol

Guenther will not be playing here next year.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Talent drops off at 3 next year. Lol

Guenther will not be playing here next year.

Talent most certainly does not drop off at 3 next year. There's probably a bunch of other guys after the top 3 who would go inn the top 6-8 picks of this year's draft.

p.s. I also don't see Guenther playing here next year either, but many disagree with our view.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
After dominating the WHL playoffs (even though he didn't finish the final and won't play in the mem cup) Guenther has nothing more to prove in Junior. Barring some disaster, he'll be in Tempe.

Unlike some of other "top" prospects of the past, he plays a game where he can be sheltered into the league until he's ready to break out. He's such a complete winger to where we can start him bouncing between the 3rd and 2nd line and on the second power play unit and he'll do just fine playing against teams' 2nd and 3rd pairings.

Unlike Strome, he doesn't need to be playing with our top players right off the bat to be effective in the NHL, Bear can bring him along slow.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He showed this year that he's too good to spend another year with the kids. If Tucson isn't available he will be here.
Injury and his play in the preseason will dictate where he plays next year. I expect him on the NHL roster next year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
After dominating the WHL playoffs (even though he didn't finish the final and won't play in the mem cup) Guenther has nothing more to prove in Junior. Barring some disaster, he'll be in Tempe.

Unlike some of other "top" prospects of the past, he plays a game where he can be sheltered into the league until he's ready to break out. He's such a complete winger to where we can start him bouncing between the 3rd and 2nd line and on the second power play unit and he'll do just fine playing against teams' 2nd and 3rd pairings.

Unlike Strome, he doesn't need to be playing with our top players right off the bat to be effective in the NHL, Bear can bring him along slow.
I remember reading all of that about Hayton. If he can't take a role in Tempe he should be in Jr.

Reactions: Heldig

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Anyone who thought Hayton had nothing left to prove was a fool. I was furious they didn’t send him back. This is nothing like that. Guenther is 100% NHL ready. He’s going to score 20+ goals for the Coyotes next season.
Then he belongs. But I read here for months how great Hayton was and had nothing left to prove in JR. FTR I don't follow JR but do read posts here.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Lots to consider - position is a key one - Wingers have a much less complex role, and in theory, should have an easier transition than Centremen and D.

The big distinction here is development is the mandate of Bear, whereas Tocc was coaching to win at all costs. which was a travesty.

I think Guenther will stick, as long as he's healthy and in good shape physically.

Reactions: Prarievarg

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Anyone who thought Hayton had nothing left to prove was a fool. I was furious they didn’t send him back. This is nothing like that. Guenther is 100% NHL ready. He’s going to score 20+ goals for the Coyotes next season.

It's a damn shame we don't get any local preseason games this year.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't mean to turn this into the Guenther thread but since it's being discussed: I don't think there's any question that he's capable of playing in the NHL next year. Rather, it's a matter if Armstrong wants him to be in the NHL next year.

Perhaps Armstrong would rather fill that roster spot with some overpaid guy like Patric Hornqvist who might score 10 goals instead of 20+ like Guenther. It will help us tank for Bedard, if that's the goal. And there may be other reasons they prefer to keep him off the NHL team or not.

So until I hear Armstrong say that he expects DG to be on this team next year, I'm not believing anything one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad