Rumor: Chychrun Megathread (Asking price has been met per Sportsnet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It’s an over pay, but when you look at the age and what he bring I think it’s worth it. Maybe a bigger trade could be worked on around that with Kessel or cap going back to help the Avs out a bit?

What sort of return are you hoping for on Kessel at 50%?
Tough call on Kessel. He’s got 29pts in 44gp but he’s got 20pts in his last 25gp. He had a slow start, but he’s been on fire. And he’s a proven playoff performer with 81pts in 91gp in the playoffs with two Stanley Cups (combined 45pts in those combined 49gp). He’s never been injured and he plays every game.

At an additional 50% retention, he’s down to 3.4aav before you prorate the games played this season.

The rumored price is a 2nd. That strikes me as egregiously low. And I frankly doubt the veracity of the rumors, unless they indicate Arizona is unwilling to retain on him. Which I could see being the case. They may want to keep that retention spot open to maximize the return on Chychrun or to get in on a deal as the pass-through team, and gain an asset they’d otherwise be ineligible for.

In short; without retention, I want a 2nd. With retention, I want more than that. And I think it’s justified.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Tough call on Kessel. He’s got 29pts in 44gp but he’s got 20pts in his last 25gp. He had a slow start, but he’s been on fire. And he’s a proven playoff performer with 81pts in 91gp in the playoffs with two Stanley Cups (combined 45pts in those combined 49gp). He’s never been injured and he plays every game.

At an additional 50% retention, he’s down to 3.4aav before you prorate the games played this season.

The rumored price is a 2nd. That strikes me as egregiously low. And I frankly doubt the veracity of the rumors, unless they indicate Arizona is unwilling to retain on him. Which I could see being the case. They may want to keep that retention spot open to maximize the return on Chychrun or to get in on a deal as the pass-through team, and gain an asset they’d otherwise be ineligible for.

In short; without retention, I want a 2nd. With retention, I want more than that. And I think it’s justified.
Impressive for a guy I’m almost certain railed against him in Coyote year one.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

Without retention would a player like JT Compher be acceptable to take back? Has another year at $3.5m, allows AZ to keep their retention spot. Would the ask still be a second level return, or would it increase?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Ya that’s kinda the dream, tho chychurn might be seen as a luxury… we have lindholm and Fowler…. But chychrun is such a different player from those 2
Maybe, but he puts you guys 2-3 years closer than you would be without him I'd think. I'd be willing to bet that you guys have enough young talent that you could trade them for multiple 2nds in the near future to help keep the youth coming in without hurting the roster. I'm also a firm believer in kids joining a team that has success will lead to future success. If they join a crap hole, what are they really going to learn beyond maybe some adversity and that losing sucks? The only reason I'm not up in arms about the Coyotes doing a scorched earth is we didn't have much in the pipe to begin with, we need to fill that up. We can add some decent UFA's or make trades for good quality teaching players without giving anything up.

rt

May 13, 2004
Without retention would a player like JT Compher be acceptable to take back? Has another year at $3.5m, allows AZ to keep their retention spot. Would the ask still be a second level return, or would it increase?
How would you describe Compher’s level of energy, effort, hustle, grit, and leadership this season? I know he hit some hard duldrums there for a season or two. Looked like a sleepwalker.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
How would you describe Compher’s level of energy, effort, hustle, grit, and leadership this season? I know he hit some hard duldrums there for a season or two. Looked like a sleepwalker.

I’m not sure what to think of him this year, I would say his energy level is low, but his effort is there if that makes any sense? Like he’ll get in the lanes to block shots and go to the dirty areas, but doesn’t seem to board battle well (or at all) in the same game. He’s also bouncing between lines, which can make it hard for him to really develop much chemistry with anyone. Ultimately I would say he’s probably $1-1.5m over paid.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Realistic? I’m gonna go with slightly homerish but not quite as outlandish as Friedman and Marek:

NYR: Schneider+Othmann+1st
LAK: Clarke+Kupari/Vilardi+1st
CBJ: Ceulemans+Foudy+**1st**

**whichever of the CBJ/CHI pick is later.

Another that could work that I don’t like very much is:

FLA: Knight+Samoskevich+1st

Perhaps a big ol’ pile of assets like:

STL: Neighnors+Perunovich+Hofer+1st
I dont understand Columbus interest in Chychrun. They have
Werenski
Gavrikov
Bean and
Carlsson

rt

May 13, 2004
Anaheim had a new GM now. Probably hurts our chances of closing a deal, there. He’s not likely to pull off a foundational blockbuster a month into his first job as a GM at any level. Plus, he probably wants to keep his very first draft pick a select a kid with it.

rt

May 13, 2004
The Blues continue to make the most sense to me from a fit, needs, and relationship standpoint. And I do LOVE Jake Neighbors. That would be a tremendously exciting addition. And they have their 1st rounder. So that’s nice. Problem is I don’t think much of anything else they have as a realistic 3rd piece.

I’m not a big fan of Perunovich or Hofer or Kostin or Bolduc being that piece. Perunovich is the same age as Chychrun (within a month or two), Hofer has just been so underwhelming statistically, Kostin just got sent to the minors, and I’m just never impressed with Bolduc when I watch Quebec. I like both Gaucher and Malatesta more than him.

Could we conceivably get Neighbors and then just their next two 1sts? Eat Scandella as a dump and call it a day? I’d be pretty happy with that, i guess.

Pick Nemec 4th overall and use the STL pick this year on Mateychuk, Pickering, or Korchinski.

Reactions: Grimes

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Perunovich is the same age as Chychrun (within a month or two)
Plenty of good former NCAA defenseman played through their senior season. Unfortunate he lost last year due to injury, but IMO he's done everything else you'd want him to. He led the AHL in points at the time of his call up.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
The Blues continue to make the most sense to me from a fit, needs, and relationship standpoint. And I do LOVE Jake Neighbors. That would be a tremendously exciting addition. And they have their 1st rounder. So that’s nice. Problem is I don’t think much of anything else they have as a realistic 3rd piece.

Could we conceivably get Neighbors and then just their next two 1sts? Eat Scandella as a dump and call it a day? I’d be pretty happy with that, i guess.
I like Neighbors too. He's old enough to develop a year in Tucson next season if needed. Not sure we could get both firsts though. I might even do Neighbors, a 1st and a second. That's how much I like the kid. Blues would be dangerous with Chych, and give them another pretty good shot at a cup run this year, while not disrupting their roster.

rt

May 13, 2004
I like Neighbors too. He's old enough to develop a year in Tucson next season if needed. Not sure we could get both firsts though. I might even do Neighbors, a 1st and a second. That's how much I like the kid. Blues would be dangerous with Chych, and give them another pretty good shot at a cup run this year, while not disrupting their roster.
I wonder if Kostin and Perunovich have both seen their respective stocks drop enough to both be in the deal? Perunovich is getting extremely sheltered minutes and doing nothing with them beyond pissing off Blues fans. Kostin is getting less than 10 minutes of ice-time per game. He’s still managing three hits per game, but that’s about all.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I wonder if Kostin and Perunovich have both seen their respective stocks drop enough to both be in the deal? Perunovich is getting extremely sheltered minutes and doing nothing with them beyond pissing off Blues fans. Kostin is getting less than 10 minutes of ice-time per game. He’s still managing three hits per game, but that’s about all.
Not sure where you're getting the Blues fans being pissed off by Perunovich from. He needs to improve defensively but that was expected, and his puck-moving ability has been even better than I expected. Haven't seen the frustration you're referring to. Kostin though I personally don't have much hope for becoming anything more than a bottom six guy.

rt

May 13, 2004
Not sure where you're getting the Blues fans being pissed off by Perunovich from. He needs to improve defensively but that was expected, and his puck-moving ability has been even better than I expected. Haven't seen the frustration you're referring to. Kostin though I personally don't have much hope for becoming anything more than a bottom six guy.
Twitter.

EDIT: so it MUST be true…LOL

rt

May 13, 2004
If I HAD to choose just one and could only choose between Perunovich, Kostin or Hofer to go with Neighbors and the 1st, my brain says pick Perunovich because he provides a touch of what we’re losing in Chychrun.

My gut says to pick Kostin because I think he has the best chance of being a useful NHL player, even if it’s as a 4th liner. I think Kostin’s “floor” is still a real NHL career. I don’t think Perunovich or Hofer have that same floor. Higher ceilings, sure. But lower floors.

Hofer is the biggest boom-or-bust of the three for me. Perunovich is in the middle. And Kostin has the least amount of headroom.

Which again makes my brain want to pick Perunovich. But I just don’t have good feeling about him. Same with Hofer. Kostin at least gives me a little tiny tingle of excitement about his acquisition.

Overall I think Kostin, Neighbors, and a ‘22 1st is a very underwhelming package for Chcyhrun. A package that’s severely lacking in upside potential and raw talent. Yet it’s still tempting because at least I actually like every piece in the deal.

rt

May 13, 2004
If I HAD to choose just one and could only choose between Perunovich, Kostin or Hofer to go with Neighbors and the 1st, my brain says pick Perunovich because he provides a touch of what we’re losing in Chychrun.

My gut says to pick Kostin because I think he has the best chance of being a useful NHL player, even if it’s as a 4th liner. I think Kostin’s “floor” is still a real NHL career. I don’t think Perunovich or Hofer have that same floor. Higher ceilings, sure. But lower floors.

Hofer is the biggest boom-or-bust of the three for me. Perunovich is in the middle. And Kostin has the least amount of headroom.

Which again makes my brain want to pick Perunovich. But I just don’t have good feeling about him. Same with Hofer. Kostin at least gives me a little tiny tingle of excitement about his acquisition.

Overall I think Kostin, Neighbors, and a ‘22 1st is a very underwhelming package for Chcyhrun. A package that’s severely lacking in upside potential and raw talent. Yet it’s still tempting because at least I actually like every piece in the deal.
I want to apply the Eichel formula:

Krebs >> Neighbors
Tuch >>>>>>Kostin
VGK 1st = STL 1st
VGK 2nd = STL 2nd

^ And I’ll even eat a Scandella dump for free.

I’ve always been of the mind that Chcyhrun should get a poor man’s version of the Eichel deal. And the above Blues package is just that. Very similar but sizably downgraded.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So expectations r we get a Coyotes heavily scouting team x and things are close or progressing report this weekend?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

With the sheer amount of picks we have we should be fine on low ceiling guys, or players who end up bottom line/pair and are serviceable enough. Plus all of them will be freshly drafted and shiny and their ceilings will look more likely than their floors for some years so I only want the guys with the high upsides for the additions to a Chychrun trade. Players like Kostin can potentially just be road blocks, especially if we are trying to add 2-3 roster players from cap dumps that get us even more picks and prospects. If Perunovich can't beat out a Stralman type in two years than oh well, but if Kostin prevents someone like Jenik from making the roster because he would be behind him and Ladd, well then we have a pipe line problem.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I want to apply the Eichel formula:

Krebs >> Neighbors
Tuch >>>>>>Kostin
VGK 1st = STL 1st
VGK 2nd = STL 2nd

^ And I’ll even eat a Scandella dump for free.

I’ve always been of the mind that Chcyhrun should get a poor man’s version of the Eichel deal. And the above Blues package is just that. Very similar but sizably downgraded.

Not convinced Krebs is better than Neighbors yet. He is starting to come around, but that 2020 class is starting to look as good as the hype was. Plus we know Neighbors and Guenther have great chemistry. I know it's debated and disputed all the time here that junior chemistry means nothing in the big league, but how often are junior line mates brought together in the NHL. Let alone two players who were in the first half of the 1st round.

Neighbors looks like a 50p winger with a ton of intangibles that helps coaches with flexibility in line combos. That's pretty cool. But if we have the added bonus of him and Guenther continuing their familiarity and chemistry here than maybe there is added value. Say Guenther helps Neighbors be a 60p winger ala Matty Tkachuck-lite and Neighbors helps Guenther play center at a 60p clip. Then does this raise his value? I know its a ton of question marks and hypotheticals but I sure like Neighbors a hell of a lot more than Swayman/Knight being the main piece. I also wouldn't mind BA getting some guys he drafted in STL back on this roster. We know he likes the player already.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Oh yeah and that whole VGK 1st = STL 1st may not be true. Don't forget VGK is about to add Eichel to their lineup. If there is one team who could bump COL out in the first two rounds of the Yoffs it's them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad