Player Discussion Christian Jaros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I live just a 40 minute car drive away from Lulea so I have been following Jaros for some time, both in the SHL and with team Slovakia.

Just here as I'm curious what Sens fans thinks about his start to the season? Does he look like a lock to become an NHL'er at this point, even if it's just as a bottom pairing guy? And do you belive he still has upside to be a top 4?

I always thought his game would translate well to the NHL, as a big phyiscal defenseman who can move the puck quickly and has a good first step in his legs. He'll never rack up points, but I can see him become a modern defensive defenseman with at least some offensive skill, similar to our own Josh Manson in Anaheim. Is this a far assessment from what you've seen of him in the NHL so far?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I live just a 40 minute car drive away from Lulea so I have been following Jaros for some time, both in the SHL and with team Slovakia.

Just here as I'm curious what Sens fans thinks about his start to the season? Does he look like a lock to become an NHL'er at this point, even if it's just as a bottom pairing guy? And do you belive he still has upside to be a top 4?

I always thought his game would translate well to the NHL, as a big phyiscal defenseman who can move the puck quickly and has a good first step in his legs. He'll never rack up points, but I can see him become a modern defensive defenseman with at least some offensive skill, similar to our own Josh Manson in Anaheim. Is this a far assessment from what you've seen of him in the NHL so far?

I personally think he's easily going to be a good NHL defensemen. Now he's not played enough to give you an honest assesment going forward but he'll at the very least be a very good bottom pairing D from what I can see. As you mentionned, his first step is impressive for his size, he does carry the puck out of danger when he needs to, and his first pass is clean. He has all the needed tools to become a top 4 defensemen.

Positionally is where I feel he needs some work. He knows where to be but he moves too much when defending which isn't terrible when you play 10 minutes a night against bottom 6 players but when he gets more responsibilities he'll tire himself easily. He's also very physical but hasn't shown it that much so far. His ability to move the puck is what's really important here and gives me hope that he will become a top 4 D.

Great pick.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I like Jaros and has shown glimpses of what he can be. Obviously a work in progress, but he is getting more comfortable every game. Starting to make some big hits. Nifty plays avoiding forechecks. I like him!

Reactions: Elvs

h2

Mar 26, 2002
His passing ability has surprised me. I think he's still settling in, but he could be a #4 if everything works out, definitely has a future on the 3rd pair.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He was a little shaky in his first game or two, but since then he's been playing better each and everyday ...... and may have passed Harpur on the depth chart.

He belongs on the Senators team now, and when all the D men are healthy, his play may dictate a trade to make room for him at the NHL level.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Jaros being a right shot gives him a slight advantage, I see him as a third pairing D with the ability to move up due to injuries or suspensions. I think that given where JBD was drafted that if he pans out he could end up at some point on the top pairing although he is a ways away & will need to work his way up there. I think that Ceci until he is moved has the 2nd pairing job tied up. DeMello stays until JBD unseats him & Wideman should be gone by the deadline.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
people really underrating Jaros here. the guy can move the puck effectively out of his own end. when he was healthy in belleville he was their best defender last season w/o a doubt. dunno why people are pigeonholing him as this boro type guy who just goes for big hits and whatnot.

i think its unfortunate that he's most likely going to be buried in the AHL atleast for one more season because I think he could be an upgrade on our bottom pairing right now w/ the potential to be a #4 dman. don't think he will provide much offense at the NHL level but can be an effective player for sure. he's a solid skater too.

11 games in, i think my assessment so far is pretty solid. he's not going to wow you but he does a lot of little things well. good on the boards, gets the puck out his own end pretty well and has been a + for our PK imo

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
people really underrating Jaros here. the guy can move the puck effectively out of his own end. when he was healthy in belleville he was their best defender last season w/o a doubt. dunno why people are pigeonholing him as this boro type guy who just goes for big hits and whatnot.

i think its unfortunate that he's most likely going to be buried in the AHL atleast for one more season because I think he could be an upgrade on our bottom pairing right now w/ the potential to be a #4 dman. don't think he will provide much offense at the NHL level but can be an effective player for sure. he's a solid skater too.

i definitely mean to toot my own horn here, you guys should listen to me more often ;). feel like i got this pretty accurately last season given his currentp lay

Reactions: DrEasy and coladin

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
How do you see his 18/19 season? What is his potential for next seasons?
Still has some issues of when he was an U18 and U20 of making the wrong play. I think he showed that he has a place as a 3rd pairing d-man in the NHL, but is having to play above his role because the Sens are so bad

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We keep saying this about every defenceman in our organization not named Chabot - "he'd be better as a third pairing guy". The problem is that someone has to play in your top four. Heck, this team is currently playing DeMelo on the power play - now THERE is a guy playing outside his role. I am pretty high on Jaros - I think he can build on this season and come back even better next year, soaking up a ton of top four minutes.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Welcome to the NHL, for sure fulltime. A European Phillips in the making.

People will hate me for this but I think he will be like Ceci lol

Big, fast, strong, tries really hard, hard shot, decent one on one defending but not great at positioning and reads, sometimes takes too much time to make defensive reads and too much time with the puck, lacks dynamism with the puck, etc....

Then again I think Ceci is a decent #4 and thats what I think Jaros will be

Reactions: Xspyrit

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
People will hate me for this but I think he will be like Ceci lol

Big, fast, strong, tries really hard, hard shot, decent one on one defending but not great at positioning and reads, sometimes takes too much time to make defensive reads and too much time with the puck, lacks dynamism with the puck, etc....

Then again I think Ceci is a decent #4 and thats what I think Jaros will be

Jaros can make an 8 foot pass though.

I agree with your assessment that he's probably a decent future #4 guy. I've seen people slot him next to Chabot on the future top pair and that seems like overkill to me. With his size and defensive acumen he might make sense next to Brannstrom though.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Jaros can make an 8 foot pass though.

I agree with your assessment that he's probably a decent future #4 guy. I've seen people slot him next to Chabot on the future top pair and that seems like overkill to me. With his size and defensive acumen he might make sense next to Brannstrom though.

Eh, so can Ceci. Jaros might be a slightly better passer but I dont think its a significant difference. And I think most elements of their games are similar.

Anyways, beyond that I agree. I think JBD will be the better option and Jaros will be a great compliment to Brannstrom as soon as next year. Although if Ceci is back I think they could be a good pairing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad