Player Discussion Christian Folin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I think this offseason might be high time to trade Petry, his value will never be higher. I think Folin can stick, and I think you let the young RHD (Juulsen/Brook/Fleury) battle it out for the other RHD spot.

This team is in dire need of LD. Here's my gameplan:

1) I would try to land Karlsson if available this summer, I know they named Weber captain but I would look at trading Weber or Petry afterwards if Karlsson is signed. Karlsson is younger and better. If anything don't even trade either of them, everyone fits under the cap. Fortunately, the Habs would have the best RD in years if Juulsen can also become an elite player. This won't happen, so let's move on.

2) I would target LDs via trade. There's isn't much available anyways thiz summer. The Habs can try to acquire Shayne Gostisbehere by trading a Drouin/Lek. He's a puck moving D signed to an affordable caphit for many years to come. The Flyers might actually do this because they have Giroux, JVR, Couturier and Voracek in their lineup. Drouin might turn it up finally with talented forwards. The chances of this happening are also slim. So what's left? Drafting?

3) Realistic options:

Draft LDs this summer and hope they pan out. Folin can be extended as an insurance until Juulsen can take over hopefully. Folin is quite physical and a very good bottom pairing D.

Bottom line is on the left, D will still look awful with Mete only signed for the position going into next year. Kulak has surprised and should be resigned. Reilly is done. Benn should just walk but MB has no other options. Benn probably remains because he worked hard all year.

So in reality as fans we have this to look forward too next year:

RD LD
Weber Kulak/Mete/Benn
Petry Kulak/Mete/Benn
Folin Kulak/Mete/Benn
Juulsen LD UFA or through trade/Alzner

MB will be bargainbinning once again so who knows what he does with his D. What will he do with Alzner. Gardiner is available, so he might sign him to 6 years 40 mil. $ deal. Hopefully, he learned his lesson with Alzner and won't be doing another stupid signing.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Hope we re-sign the guy, he has been a rock on the back end, is very physical, smart and a quality bottom pairing defenseman, it would give the opportunity to send Juulsen in the AHL to work on his game... He is a UFA so there is no guarentee he is back but if Im Bergevin, I would try hard to get him back... Kulak is a RFA and has been one of our best defensemen lately so its a no brainer he is re-signed...

With Brook Fleury Juulsen on the back end, the farm is in good hands...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Haven't seen much of him but I hope this isn't another Reilly situation. We were a little to quick to annoint Rielly a top 4 guy not too long ago. Guys fizzle out after a hot start with a new team. Mind you I thought Kulak would and he seems to be getting it together.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don’t really care for him. I’m nervous whenever he’s on the ice. He’s not very good. Has limited talent and all he does is chip it off the boards.

His spot should be reserved for Juulsen. There’s no room for Folin other than maybe as an 8th defenceman.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Juulsen Weber
Kulak Petry
Reilly Folin
Benn

AHL
Mete Brook
Tyshka Fleury

If you keep Benn around he's not gonna be a 7th dman,. No chances it happens unless he sucks Alzner style. CJ and MB love him too much to use him as a 7th dman. For them it would be like throwing their own son under the bus.

If you do what you suggest then we should sell vets cause that defence wont win anything. Keep Folin and Kulak they are younger version of Benn. Sell Petry cause his value will never be higher. Extend Benn one year and give one year of AHL experience to Brook.

I still disagree with Mete in the AHL. You don't send a guy with 2 years of NHL experience in the AHL. If you do you might as well just trade him cause it means he'll be done here. He's been disappointing offensively but it's not like he's awful. Except for a handful of nights he did not look out of place. And let's be honest all of our dmen had off nights including even Weber. Sadly he's still the only one able to play with Weber for an extended period of time without looking like a train wreck most nights.

Mete-Weber
Folin-Juulsen
Kulak-Benn
Reilly

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If you keep Benn around he's not gonna be a 7th dman,. No chances it happens unless he sucks Alzner style. CJ and MB love him too much to use him as a 7th dman. For them it would be like throwing their own son under the bus.

If you do what you suggest then we should sell vets cause that defence wont win anything. Keep Folin and Kulak they are younger version of Benn. Sell Petry cause his value will never be higher. Extend Benn one year and give one year of AHL experience to Brook.

I still disagree with Mete in the AHL. You don't send a guy with 2 years of NHL experience in the AHL. If you do you might as well just trade him cause it means he'll be done here. He's been disappointing offensively but it's not like he's awful. Except for a handful of nights he did not look out of place. And let's be honest all of our dmen had off nights including even Weber. Sadly he's still the only one able to play with Weber for an extended period of time without looking like a train wreck most nights.

Mete-Weber
Folin-Juulsen
Kulak-Benn
Reilly

I'm a huge Mete fan. I just want him to get the proper 1 year of AHL development. IF Juulsen, can play the left side, for the first time since Mete's been drafted, we'll have enough left D to allow him to blossom in the AHL for a year...
Yes Benn will play over Rielly...
I'm not sure Folin has the mobility to play his off side...
I don't see Petry being moved. They will not sacrifice the present for the future, especially when Juulsen is still a question mark. Would be fantastic if Juulsen can play the left side, though it's unlikely...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm a huge Mete fan. I just want him to get the proper 1 year of AHL development. IF Juulsen, can play the left side, for the first time since Mete's been drafted, we'll have enough left D to allow him to blossom in the AHL for a year...
Yes Benn will play over Rielly...
I'm not sure Folin has the mobility to play his off side...
I don't see Petry being moved. They will not sacrifice the present for the future, especially when Juulsen is still a question mark. Would be fantastic if Juulsen can play the left side, though it's unlikely...

I think it's too late for that. Mentally it will be hard to play AHL for a complete year after playing NHL for 2 years. There's a big chance he loses all his motivation and just glide around waiting to be called up.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think it's too late for that. Mentally it will be hard to play AHL for a complete year after playing NHL for 2 years. There's a big chance he loses all his motivation and just glide around waiting to be called up.

Mete really didn't want to go down earlier this year. But, once down he had an excellent attitude. When he came back up he was raving about how much he learned under Bouchard. The kid is a gamer. I have little doubt he would go down and play hard and try to learn as much as he could. He plays for the love of the game, not his ego.

Having said that, he will probably be one of our better options at left D next year, if not again our best option. He'll probably be fine at the NHL level. I just think he may be able to refine his game more under less pressure in the AHL. And, you can't spend too much time in the AHL, as the saying goes.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Mete really didn't want to go down earlier this year. But, once down he had an excellent attitude. When he came back up he was raving about how much he learned under Bouchard. The kid is a gamer. I have little doubt he would go down and play hard and try to learn as much as he could. He plays for the love of the game, not his ego.

Having said that, he will probably be one of our better options at left D next year, if not again our best option. He'll probably be fine at the NHL level. I just think he may be able to refine his game more under less pressure in the AHL. And, you can't spend too much time in the AHL, as the saying goes.

I think it's a different situation though. It was not part of a plan. He was sent down during the season after a rough sequence where he played legitimately the worst hockey of his career. If he's having a rough camp and does worse than Kulak, Benn and Reilly then fine. But if he plays better that the other LHD then i think sending him down just because is kind of dangerous to "lose him".

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I think Folin has done everything that could have been reasonably expected of him since his arrival, with a bit of added physicality for good measure. We've been able to stand opposing forwards up further away from our goal regularly in many recent games.....Folin has been a big part of that.

Folin - Benn has been solid and physically combative with 3rd pairing assignments. Aside from the CBJ game (Mete and Petry's giveaways costing us goals, I'm looking at you here), the team's recent defensive record and play in front of Price taken as a whole speaks for itself.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Folin has done everything that could have been reasonably expected of him since his arrival, with a bit of added physicality for good measure. We've been able to stand opposing forwards up further away from our goal regularly in many recent games.....Folin has been a big part of that.

Folin - Benn has been solid and physically combative with 3rd pairing assignments. Aside from the CBJ game (Mete and Petry's giveaways costing us goals, I'm looking at you here), the team's recent defensive record and play in front of Price taken as a whole speaks for itself.

Who do you prefer, Folin or Benn? I think I lean toward Folin because Benn's errant passes for huge chances or goals against are too egregious and happen too often.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Who do you prefer, Folin or Benn? I think I lean toward Folin because Benn's errant passes for huge chances or goals against are too egregious and happen too often.

Good question. Benn has been less howler-prone in recent weeks and appears to have upped his hitting a bit too......maybe neither Folin nor Benn would be playing as well with a different partner?

I realise that I'm dodging the question with that one :) Ok, so on the small post-TDL sample size, it's Folin!

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

Benn is going to ask for a longer contract since it might be his last contract. Somebody os going to pay him around 2.5M for 3 years while Folin might sign for 1.5M for 1 or 2 season.

I'll go with Folin.

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
I hope we can sign him at max 1.5M for 2 years max. Folin will get a 950 000/1 year. Dont think Reilly will be back. And not sure how much Kulak will get but he will have a multi-years contract with raise. Mete, Weber and Petry will be in the NHL. Juulsen will start in the AHL if he does not have a stellar camp, Brook and Fleury too.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I really enjoyed it me and my girlfriend. What a city to play for... I've been here two months now, I feel we got brought into the city and the city really welcomed us right away. Obviously, playing for Montreal is a big honnor and something I'm really proud off.”

“Very open. Obviously, 100%... I don't have anything to say. I think it's the same for everyone. But let's be honest I had a lot of fun and really it's a good group to be part of. They welcomed me since Day 1 and made feel right at home...”

“I look forward to what's gonna happen in the summer. I know that I need to put into a lot of works to be ready for next year. Whenever it might be and hopefully I'll be here...”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I grew up watching a lot of soccer. They had a Swedish player, Freddie Ljungberg. That dyed his hair red in the middle and I think that's kind of when it started. Him and Thierry Henry and a couple of guys like that, they were my favorite players. I really like them because they're bringing up young guys from their Academy. Like 16-year olds all the time. I always felt that it was pretty cool being able to watch these 16 and 17 year old players play and make a lot of money. I watch the games as often as I can. From time to time, I wake up Sunday mornings at 7:00 AM and watch the games. I'm a pretty intense follower. I've never been to a game before at Emirates Stadium tho... I've always wanted to go. They play from August to April. So it's kind of tough to go with the hockey season. My plan is to go one of these years. My dad actually played professional soccer in Sweden growing up. So I played soccer until I was 15. I was choosing between either soccer or hockey and when I chose hockey, my dad told me: you would've been a better soccer player... He's eating that up right now. My brother Niklas, is playing back home in the Allsvenskan. And my youngest brother Ludvig is playing in Sweden too. My parents actually used to live in Maryland for a little bit for four years. But they moved back to Sweden this past summer. My dad works for Volvo and they had a factory in Maryland. So he worked there for a while.”

“The last few years, I've really gotten into the music more and more. Two of my friends are actually pretty good at it and they released a song. So they've shown me a little bit how to DJ this summer. For this year in Philadelphia, I bought a mixer. So I've been doing a little bit at home. It's so hard, but it's fun... It's good when you're home in the afternoon and you've a couple of hours. You just turn it on and you can just play with it. It's definitely a lot of fun and I listen to a lot of music too... I'm not great at it by any means... But it's just so much fun to try and do. Especially when you have friends over and they can teach you a little bit more. It's definitely a good hobby... Something else to do to kind of get your mind off hockey a little bit. But, I listen to a lot of house music, mostly. All the big names, Avicii and all those guys. I like all kinds of music. But house is the biggest one for me right now. I was at Tomorrowland a couple of years ago in Belgium. It was an unbelievable experience for four days... When I look back at it, it's something really cool that I've done. I kind of faded away from that kind of music. It was more back in the day when I was in Juniors and college... I tweeted at Taylor Swift once and I got a favorite. So that was pretty cool. I enjoyed it... When I first came over here, I was 18 and she was really big at the time. All the guys in the locker room would always play it. So I tagged along with that and became a fan... I've been to a couple of shows. I've been to one in Boston and one in Minneapolis.”

“I played with Matt Dumba for a couple of years in Minnesota and he was really into it. We went and got my first tattoo... It kind of spun off from there. This past summer, I got the bottom half of my arm done. We'll see if I'm going to get the other one done this coming summer. I'm still thinking about it... I started with a fish actually and I grew up fishing a lot in the summers. So it's basically an ocean theme. I grew up on the West Coast of Gothenburg. Every summer, I used to go out and fish with my dad and my grandparents. So it's in the back of my upbringing, being on the ocean. I wanted to pay a little tribute to that... There's also the compass and I've got two lighthouses on there. We used to fish around the lighthouses. So it's a good kind of light and I'm representing home a little bit.”

“I loved college. It was unbelievable... It was a great time... For me, playing back home in Sweden, we had just our parents in the stands basically. Then you go to college and there are five or six thousand people at the games cheering. It was perfect for me... I had those two years to train and play those games. It really helped me develop and take the next step for the next level.”

“I was really happy. It was a good opportunity for me to join a good team who were in the race for the PO. I was excited to play in front of the fans. I've already played in this arena so I knew it's gonna to be loud and a lot of fun. I've heard so many good things about the city. I used to like coming here to play when we were the visitors. So it's was fun to get out there and wear the red jersey.”

“There are a lot of good guys in this locker room. When I met them for the first time we laughed a lot. I wasn't shy about hitting them during practice and them neither. The guys were unbelievable. It's a tight group... Everyone really mixes well together. It's a lot of fun on the road, being on the bus and there are a lot of jokes. There's a lot of guys that bring different elements to the team that makes it a fun place to be every day and show up every day. We had some tough losses down the stretch. But guys just show up the next day with a smile on their face and get right back at it.”

“I just wanted to continue keeping things simple and always being on the puck. I think I did fairly well. I was in a tough situation in Philadelphia. I didn't play for quite a while before I got here. But, I thought I brought that physical element to the team. At the same time, I came in and I wanted to play my game. Move the puck quick and try to join the offense when there was a chance. As a defenseman in this League, you kind of need to start from your own end and build from that. That's something I take a lot of pride in.”

“The fans were singing: Ole (*3) when there was about a minute left and I actually got goosebumps on the bench. I was looking around and I was like: What's going here? Can it get any louder than this? Because it was so loud... It was a great experience for both me and my girlfriend, Hanna. I think we enjoyed every second of it. It's a nice city to be in.”

“I'd been here before... But for only like two days at a time, maximum like six or seven nights total. It felt like home right away. I think the guys on the team helped with that too. I felt like I was brought into the city and I loved it right away.”

“I know I've a few things to work on. But I'll come back ready to play in October and ready for a big season and to make the PO. We want to give the city what it deserves, a good PO run...”

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Scores a goal , sent down. Guys go 55 games without a goal , get extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad