Player Discussion Christian Folin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
RHD. He's 28 years old, 6'3, 204 lbs. Swede.

Forecaster:

Owns an ideal frame (6-3, 204 pounds) and plenty of puck-moving acumen. Is sound defensively and can provide a fair amount of offense at lower levels.
Flaws: Needs to prove he can handle National Hockey League power forwards in the big league. Must also prove he can produce more offense in the NHL.
Career Potential: Big, solid defenseman.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
RHD. He's 28 years old, 6'3, 204 lbs. Swede.

Forecaster:

Owns an ideal frame (6-3, 204 pounds) and plenty of puck-moving acumen. Is sound defensively and can provide a fair amount of offense at lower levels.
Flaws: Needs to prove he can handle National Hockey League power forwards in the big league. Must also prove he can produce more offense in the NHL.
Career Potential: Big, solid defenseman.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Wow, it sounds like he's a puck mover. That's great news for today's game. Not sure when this was written, but these days there are less and less power forwards. The main skill a defender needs is to be quick enough to get in position, to loose pucks, and to move the puck.

Reactions: Edgy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some words of encouragement from a poster in the Rumors thread:

Now, Christian Folin…. good shot, good size, and when he decides to do so, can be pretty physical. He has experience working within a structured defensive style (which did NOT exist in Philly, but did in LA and Minnesota where he was previously), so I think he may help the Habs as a 3rd pair or extra defenseman...and even though he will be a UFA, his salary is minimal, and I don't think the Habs are looking past this year with him. Only the fact they have a chance to get into the playoffs THIS year, and he might be able to help.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
If I'm not mistaken he's a stay-at-home type dman who can be an alright number 6, if he's protected and played as such.

Good thing in his case, is that he's a RHD, and there's nothing blurry on our right side, so he won't play too many minutes.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Was he playing with the Flyers? Or down in the A ?

I believe he was on a holding pattern. I had read that when he cleared waivers, the Flyers did not assign him to their AHL team. They availed themselves of a 30-day window within which they had to either trade him or submit him to waivers again.

Reactions: BLONG7

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I really don't enjoy Benn as he doesn't fit in with our team at all , perhaps Folin will be a better fit next to Kulak.

Reactions: Edgy and CapSpace

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
So I guess that Juulsen is out for the season, again. Poor kid, can’t catch a break.

To me just not seeing schlemko ever again it’s a win. Folin will be our new 7th D since we can’t rely on Alzner either.

I see no negative to that trade

Reactions: 26Mats and Vachon23

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Some words of encouragement from a poster in the Rumors thread:

yeah he could be one of those guys that benefit playing on a better team. Decent tools. MB's had decent luck with these types of moves. We've literally lost nothing.

I was kind of getting worried. MB hasn't been bargain binning for awhile. Starting to wonder if something was wrong.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
How is it a depth move if we traded away another depth D in Schlemko?
Because simply being a body does not make you a depth player. Schlemko was horrible in his stint with the Habs...time to replace

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
No disrespect intended but you don’t sound very knowledgeable with this post.

Why? Because I have an opinion that differs from your own? I have watched every game this year and the year prior and it goes on that way since the early 90s. Benn was fine at times this year but I don't find he fits in well with our style of play , he fumbles with the puck often and always seems to hesitate behind the net. I didn't say that Folin will replace him (or be more effective) but I would give him a try that's for sure. Acting like Benn is the ultimate solution for our bottom pairing sounds quite naive to me.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Why? Because I have an opinion that differs from your own? I have watched every game this year and the year prior and it goes on that way since the early 90s. Benn was fine at times this year but I don't find he fits in well with our style of play , he fumbles with the puck often and always seems to hesitate behind the net. I didn't say that Folin will replace him (or be more effective) but I would give him a try that's for sure. Acting like Benn is the ultimate solution for our bottom pairing sounds quite naive to me.

Because Benn has been very solid on the final pair. A plus 11 is very good, especially for a guy on the bottom pair. It’s okay to be hopeful for the new guy, but not okay to degrade/diminish Benn’s value to our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad