Player Discussion Chris Tierney (C)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Micklebot raises a good point. Namestikov is an option at 3rd line centre. Dorion can move both Tierney and Pageau if he can re-sign Names to a team friendly deal.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
This aligns mostly with my thinking, though I'd probably be ok with trading Tierney and signing a UFA center to replace him for the transition to the next group. A guy like Soderberg could come cheap or maybe Grandlund. We could re-sign Namestnikov instead, or try out a guy like Galchenyuk.

I just don't see Tierney as a long term solution, so really we just need somebody to help insulate the prospects, and ideally a good role model to bring them along. Tierney is a decent fit for that, but not the only one, and we can get value back from trading him as an RFA that might make it worthwhile

Of all those guys, only one I'd have any interest in is Soderberg. I do think he'd be a nice short-term addition though. His playstyle fits our team. He just turned 34, though, so anything over 2 yrs is off the table. No real interest in Granlund or Galchenyuk. Granlund will cost too much, even with his struggles. Galch just isn't a guy I'd want, unless its an incredibly cheap 1yr deal.... and even then. The minutes he will need in order to succeed are minutes we should be giving to the kids.

Namestnikov would be fine, too, on a cheap deal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Of all those guys, only one I'd have any interest in is Soderberg. I do think he'd be a nice short-term addition though. His playstyle fits our team. He just turned 34, though, so anything over 2 yrs is off the table. No real interest in Granlund or Galchenyuk. Granlund will cost too much, even with his struggles. Galch just isn't a guy I'd want, unless its an incredibly cheap 1yr deal.... and even then. The minutes he will need in order to succeed are minutes we should be giving to the kids.

Namestnikov would be fine, too, on a cheap deal.
Names and Soderberg where my top two options, Galchenyuk would be a top 6 option to push somebody else down, but comes with risk. Anyways, the real point was more that Tierney is one solution to a problem, not the only one, and some may view the hole being filled differently than me, so I provided an array of options.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Forget Galchenyuk at Center. He's just not a Center

It doesn't matter how long. He's an RFA. He's young. He would have value in any future trade, even if we sign him.

He's not in the way of anyone right now. He should not be traded unless other players push him out of the way. It makes absolutely no sense to move him before anyone is ready to take his spot.

He's going to be 26 y/o next season (it's not old but he's a vet now), his value will depend on how much he gets on his next contract. But for him it's time to cash in on the amount and term so he won't be "cheap" like he is now, probably north of 4.0 AAV, which will diminish his value because he's not a top-6 forward but the situation here in Ottawa allowed him more ice-time and production than he would normally see on a contender, a bit like Connor Brown. But in Brown's case, he has a much better "motor" which allows him to be more efficient on 200 feet. If I had to choose between the 2 for my bottom-6, it would be Connor Brown without hesitation

We can't keep everybody. Like I said, a major logjam is coming up and spots will be needed for Logan Brown, Drake Batherson, Josh Norris, Alex Formenton, Rudolf Balcers. Those 5 guys should be an important part of our future, not Tierney

Considering Brady Tkachuk, Anthony Duclair, Colin White, Connor Brown, JG Pageau (?) and Nick Paul should have spots going forward (6 more guys), that leaves very few spots for the likes of Chlapik, Abramov, Davidsson and Veronneau, and then Gruden, Pinto, Crookshank, Novak, Kastelic (Sabourin and Beaudin if you want too) AND any forward we draft in 2020 and 2021 (3 x 1st + 6 x 2nd)

His trade value was at best last trade deadline and off-season. I believe it has been diminishing this year and it will continue to do so. But anyway what am I talking about? Dorion probably knows what he is doing, like the last 3 years suggest.

Finally, you say "he's not in the way of anyone right now" but he's probably in the way of Brown and/or Chlapik. Development is all we should care about this year.

Tkachuk-Brown-Duclair
Paul-Pageau-Brown
Anisimov-White-Namestnikov
Ennis-Chlapik-Davidsson
Boedker/Sabourin/Beaudin

Do we really need Tierney? Even if Brown is sent to Belleville, put White between Tkachuk and Duclair so he has a chance to turn things around offensively

Tkachuk-White-Duclair
Paul-Pageau-Brown
Namestnikov-Anisimov-Ennis
Boedker-Chlapik-Davidsson
Sabourin/Beaudin

Yes they could wait longer to trade Tierney, but IMO he's just very average at everything and certainly not a guy I want on my team going forward if I want to build a contender. If I want to build the Habs 2.0, yes sure why not

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Forget Galchenyuk at Center. He's just not a Center

He's going to be 26 y/o next season (it's not old but he's a vet now), his value will depend on how much he gets on his next contract. But for him it's time to cash in on the amount and term so he won't be "cheap" like he is now, probably north of 4.0 AAV, which will diminish his value because he's not a top-6 forward but the situation here in Ottawa allowed him more ice-time and production than he would normally see on a contender, a bit like Connor Brown. But in Brown's case, he has a much better "motor" which allows him to be more efficient on 200 feet. If I had to choose between the 2 for my bottom-6, it would be Connor Brown without hesitation

We can't keep everybody. Like I said, a major logjam is coming up and spots will be needed for Logan Brown, Drake Batherson, Josh Norris, Alex Formenton, Rudolf Balcers. Those 5 guys should be an important part of our future, not Tierney

Considering Brady Tkachuk, Anthony Duclair, Colin White, Connor Brown, JG Pageau (?) and Nick Paul should have spots going forward (6 more guys), that leaves very few spots for the likes of Chlapik, Abramov, Davidsson and Veronneau, and then Gruden, Pinto, Crookshank, Wilkie, Novak, Kastelic (Sabourin and Beaudin if you want too) AND any forward we draft in 2020 and 2021 (3 x 1st + 6 x 2nd)

His trade value was at best last trade deadline and off-season. I believe it has been diminishing this year and it will continue to do so. But anyway what am I talking about? Dorion probably knows what he is doing, like the last 3 years suggest.

Finally, you say "he's not in the way of anyone right now" but he's probably in the way of Brown and/or Chlapik. Development is all we should care about this year.

Tkachuk-Brown-Duclair
Paul-Pageau-Brown
Anisimov-White-Namestnikov
Ennis-Chlapik-Davidsson
Boedker/Sabourin/Beaudin

Do we really need Tierney? Even if Brown is sent to Belleville, put White between Tkachuk and Duclair so he has a chance to turn things around offensively

Tkachuk-White-Duclair
Paul-Pageau-Brown
Namestnikov-Anisimov-Ennis
Boedker-Chlapik-Davidsson
Sabourin/Beaudin

Yes they could wait longer to trade Tierney, but IMO he's just very average at everything and certainly not a guy I want on my team going forward if I want to build a contender. If I want to build the Habs 2.0, yes sure why not

I think you are vastly underselling Tierney here.

Putting up 40+ points with next to 0 PP time along with solid PK and good on draws is a very valuable player that good teams win with.

Not saying he is a core player but L. Brown is closer to busting than reaching Tierney level at the moment and none of the other youngsters have proven they can supply that either.

He is not flashy so he doesnt get any love but he is always in the right spot and is there to create opportunities to score...his style of game is effective.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Putting up 40+ points with next to 0 PP time along with solid PK and good on draws is a very valuable player that good teams win with.

Not saying he is a core player but L. Brown is closer to busting than reaching Tierney level at the moment and none of the other youngsters have proven they can supply that either.

He is not flashy so he doesnt get any love but he is always in the right spot and is there to create opportunities to score...his style of game is effective.

Sure I could be wrong but the eye test and advanced stats (both team and individual) don't suggest that to me. His ixG/60, iCF/60, iSCF/60 and iHDCF/60 is really not among the bests on the team (Tkachuk, Duclair). He's around Bobby Ryan who has putrid advanced individual stats this year compared to his usual.

Everything suggests he's not really good offensively and don't even want to look defensively. Sure it's also nothing special. A very replaceable bottom-6 player IMO. I'd rather have a guy like Chlapik playing his minutes, at least we'd be able to see where he's at.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gesus

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Well if be goes beyye than .5 points a game this year that will be 3 years in a row in a fairly limited role so while ip/60÷upfreely/60 may not show much he finds ways to create offense and be around the puck where you want it.

He is not a core piece but as a controlled asset on a team transitioning to more youth he is a solid piece IMO.

Would rather get a 1st for a career year from JGP with potential to resign in the future than give up a 40+ point producer who can also PK and win draws that we may get 3rd or 4th rounder for.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I agree with your post. The teams shouldn’t be looking to weaken itself by trading away NHL players in the hopes that unproven prospects and an added late round pick can someday be as good.

We have enough prospects and picks now that vets should be supplanted by proven ability, and mid range guys like Tierney, no matter how bland his game may look, should not be traded away until someone proves to be a challenge for the roster spot.

I agree that L Brown has shown little at the NHL level to lock down a roster spot at all, yet, let alone make us feel good about trading away Tierney.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well if be goes beyye than .5 points a game this year that will be 3 years in a row in a fairly limited role so while ip/60÷upfreely/60 may not show much he finds ways to create offense and be around the puck where you want it.

He is not a core piece but as a controlled asset on a team transitioning to more youth he is a solid piece IMO.

Would rather get a 1st for a career year from JGP with potential to resign in the future than give up a 40+ point producer who can also PK and win draws that we may get 3rd or 4th rounder for.

Tierney should get more than a 3rd or 4th, at that price it's no wonder you would rather hold onto him.

He is RFA so you can probably expect at least a 2nd for him and likely more.

I doubt he can get a late first but a 2nd and a prospect or pick is possible

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
But the whole thing is done behind closed doors and can be easily set by NHL if they want to help a certain team. If it's between detroit and ottawa, who do you think will get first overall?

I'm pretty sure they have team officials there. Do you honestly think NHL teams would be ok with the NHL screwing them out of a top pick like that. Melnyk would go nuts.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
People are saying they don't want to give him 50 point money because he's not a 50 point player.

Well duh.

But he is a 40 point player. Would we give him 40 point player money?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
People are saying they don't want to give him 50 point money because he's not a 50 point player.

Well duh.

But he is a 40 point player. Would we give him 40 point player money?

I think Tierney's next deal - i mean the one that takes him thru those first few ufa years, not next year where we can cost control him - will be 4 years kind of thing for upper end 3C lower end 2C kind of money. He's actually someone that might be able to really cash in. No lockout threat. Big US TV deal on the horizon. I think GMs are slowly learning their lessons on term for UFAs so he might not gwt the 6 + year term, but i think dollars will be there

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Tierney is vanilla you'll never win anything with him in a prominent role and no Logan Brown isnt anywhere close to busting. They should get a 2nd and a prospect for him. Theyre gonna have to pay him after this year and he really shouldnt figure into the long term plans.

They should absolutely be trading him this year. Along with Pageau, Namestinikov and Ennis. If someone actually wants to give an asset for Anisimov do that too but i dont see it happening.
Sure I could be wrong but the eye test and advanced stats (both team and individual) don't suggest that to me. His ixG/60, iCF/60, iSCF/60 and iHDCF/60 is really not among the bests on the team (Tkachuk, Duclair). He's around Bobby Ryan who has putrid advanced individual stats this year compared to his usual.

Everything suggests he's not really good offensively and don't even want to look defensively. Sure it's also nothing special. A very replaceable bottom-6 player IMO. I'd rather have a guy like Chlapik playing his minutes, at least we'd be able to see where he's at.
100 %

People acting like Tierney isnt replacable when this team is 3 years away from competing makes me confused.

Xspyirt is right in his evaluation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I agree with your post. The teams shouldn’t be looking to weaken itself by trading away NHL players in the hopes that unproven prospects and an added late round pick can someday be as good.

We have enough prospects and picks now that vets should be supplanted by proven ability, and mid range guys like Tierney, no matter how bland his game may look, should not be traded away until someone proves to be a challenge for the roster spot.

I agree that L Brown has shown little at the NHL level to lock down a roster spot at all, yet, let alone make us feel good about trading away Tierney.

But that's the thing and it's nothing against Tierney but after his last RFA year next season, what do you do with him? Should he really be extended by the Sens? He's going to cash in on at least a 4 x 4 deal, shouldn't we allow these dollars and term to more important players like Connor Brown, Anthony Duclair and Dylan DeMelo? And what about JG Pageau?

I mean, at the moment we have a ton of cap space going forward but we know we can't take for granted that Melnyk is going to spend to the Cap, it really remains to be seen so we have to be careful how we spend. At some point in the near future, on top of the players I just named and Chabot (8.0), White (4.75), Zaitsev (4.5), Logan Brown, Drake Batherson, Brady Tkachuk (7.0?), Josh Norris, Alex Formenton, Rudolf Balcers, Christian Wolanin, Erik Brannstrom, etc will need new deals as well as the 2 (high?) picks we get in the upcoming draft in a few months. Money is going to be spent very fast.

And there is also, like I talked about, the number of roster spots and with a major logjam coming up, hanging onto Chris Tierney is not the smartest thing to do.

By 2022-23 :

Tkachuk (?) - 2020 first (?) - Batherson ()
Duclair (?) - Brown (?) - Norris (?)
Formenton (?) - White (4.75) - Balcers (?)
Paul (?) - Pageau (?) - Brown (?)
Davdisson (?)

Chabot (8.0) - JBD/Thomson ()
Brannstrom (?) - JBD/Thomson (?)
Wolanin (?) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Lajoie/Alsing/DeMelo/Jaros (?)

Nilsson (?)
Gustavsson (?)

If we sign Tierney at let's say 4x4, and then he gets lost in the depth and don't produce, then he becomes hard to trade; and we know how hard to make trades with Melnyk as an owner.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
But that's the thing and it's nothing against Tierney but after his last RFA year next season, what do you do with him? Should he really be extended by the Sens? He's going to cash in on at least a 4 x 4 deal, shouldn't we allow these dollars and term to more important players like Connor Brown, Anthony Duclair and Dylan DeMelo? And what about JG Pageau?

I mean, at the moment we have a ton of cap space going forward but we know we can't take for granted that Melnyk is going to spend to the Cap, it really remains to be seen so we have to be careful how we spend. At some point in the near future, on top of the players I just named and Chabot (8.0), White (4.75), Zaitsev (4.5), Logan Brown, Drake Batherson, Brady Tkachuk (7.0?), Josh Norris, Alex Formenton, Rudolf Balcers, Christian Wolanin, Erik Brannstrom, etc will need new deals as well as the 2 (high?) picks we get in the upcoming draft in a few months. Money is going to be spent very fast.

And there is also, like I talked about, the number of roster spots and with a major logjam coming up, hanging onto Chris Tierney is not the smartest thing to do.

By 2022-23 :

Davdisson (?)

Nilsson (?)
Gustavsson (?)

If we sign Tierney at let's say 4x4, and then he gets lost in the depth and don't produce, then he becomes hard to trade; and we know how hard to make trades with Melnyk as an owner.

THIS. The average salary is around $3.6/roster player and we have already virtually committed to Chabot, Z, White, Brady ($8) totaling around $25.5/80. That leaves $54.5 million for 18 players at an average of around $3.0 per player. So try signing all those ? players with $3.0 per player. Ryan may still be around (7), Pager may get $5 and 1-2 OA may take $8-10 of their ELC which makes it event harder and that is assuming EM spends $80 million.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

By 2022-23 :

Davdisson (?)

Nilsson (?)
Gustavsson (?)

You have 5 players slotted into spots who have yet to even prove themselves as NHL players.

This is my point. There should be no rush to trade Tierney until some of those guys actually become NHL players.

Im not trying to advocate that he’s awesome or anything, but I am saying that he’s a better NHL player ‘right now’ than any of those kids, and at this point is the only proven NHL player of the lot. Until that changes there should be no rush to deal away our decent players.

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
People acting like Tierney isnt replacable when this team is 3 years away from competing makes me confused.

Nobody is saying he isn't replaceable.

What I am saying is that people acting like he is a bad player make me confused.

We need some vets (can't be all 1st or 2nd year players), he is cost controlled (we have money issues), can play down in the lineup (rookies can't play bottom 6 or they aren't "being given a chance").

If we get a 2nd and a good prospect then I would be OK with moving him but despite not being an exciting player he does things you want your players to do so I disagree that you couldn't win with him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Nobody is saying he isn't replaceable.

What I am saying is that people acting like he is a bad player make me confused.

We need some vets (can't be all 1st or 2nd year players), he is cost controlled (we have money issues), can play down in the lineup (rookies can't play bottom 6 or they aren't "being given a chance").

If we get a 2nd and a good prospect then I would be OK with moving him but despite not being an exciting player he does things you want your players to do so I disagree that you couldn't win with him.

It feels like a player of CT’s ability can be acquired at any point. Teams are always looking to dump $3-4 type players to free up money for elite talent. Beyond that there are lots of Ennis type guys around the league.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It feels like a player of CT’s ability can be acquired at any point. Teams are always looking to dump $3-4 type players to free up money for elite talent. Beyond that there are lots of Ennis type guys around the league.

Ennis doesn't PK and can't win 55% of draws.

I am not just looking at points so no I don't think you just grab a guy like Tierney.

Suggestions here are a 2nd and a prospect for Tierney - do you want to give that up for such a vanilla player that are available all over?

This seems like it is devolving...I dont love him or think he is irreplaceable...clearly I think he has more value to the team than many here and have explained it in several posts so I am done on this topic as my position and reasoning are clear.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Tierneys caphit is 2,775,000. He’s an RFA. Try to sign him for another few years at a similar caphit. He’s an ok stop gap player. If he’s traded we are just rushing players like Brown or Norris into his position. He’s on pace again to put up 40 points. By no means should he get a 4x4 contract. If that’s what he wants just take him to arbitration.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You have 5 players slotted into spots who have yet to even prove themselves as NHL players.

This is my point. There should be no rush to trade Tierney until some of those guys actually become NHL players.

Im not trying to advocate that he’s awesome or anything, but I am saying that he’s a better NHL player ‘right now’ than any of those kids, and at this point is the only proven NHL player of the lot. Until that changes there should be no rush to deal away our decent players.

There's a timing to trade Tierney and the longer you wait, the harder it will be. Like if he comes with a longer term contract on UFA years, it's not the same outlook. At some point, we need to move bodies that are not or should not be part of our longer-term plans (and IMO Tierney is one of those guys)

Who are the 5 guys you're talking about?

Batherson? He already played in the NHL and if you put him with NHL talent, it could go very well. He's still developing but what he is doing in the AHL at such a young age is exceptional. It bodes well for his future. Can't see him busting

Norris? Do you see this guy bust? Personally, I don't and see him as a better player than White for example. IMO he's the kind of guy that always get better and better.

Balcers? We already saw him last year and he really didn't look out of place. He's further in his development and despite missing time with injury to start the season, he's killing it in the AHL. Another guy I really don't see busting.

Formenton? Just his speed is elite at the NHL level already, other parts of his game are still developing. He can get under people's skin and I think his playmaking is underrated. He seems to be capable of developing a scoring touch. Can't see him be less than a 3rd liner.

2020 first? This upcoming draft is among the best ever and with either the Sens 1st or Sharks 1st, we'll probably get a high pick who will become our best forward (this draft is forward heavy). No idea yet who it will be but I can't see the Sens screwing up on that pick. There's rarely a top-12 that strong

JBD/Thomson? Sure, those 2 are the most obscure at this point but things are looking promising for both at the moment. We could survive with just one making it too because there's already depth with Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, Zaitsev, DeMelo, Lajoie and Jaros who we all have seen at the NHL level already.

Also, 2022-23 is in 2.5 years so a lot of things will happen by then and lot of development time until then. I'm just giving you an idea of a possible line-up we could have by then.

But even just now, you think that none of Batherson, Norris, Balcers, Formenton, Abramov, Chlapik or Davidsson are ready to graduate? Even Logan Brown who could benefit to not have a guy like Tierney in the way?

If we were not talking about Tierney but any of Pageau, Brown or even Duclair, then my stance would be different. But we're talking about Chris Tierney. It doesn't stress me at all to not have him in the line-up.

Remember, I am not trying to win now, but I certainly want to start winning as soon as possible, starting next year and be able to stay in the playoffs race all year. We just need a mega big draft in June and we'll be ready to go. It might take time but in today's NHL, you don't have 5-10 years to rebuild. You have to compete while your best talent is young and cheaper.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Tierneys caphit is 2,775,000. He’s an RFA. Try to sign him for another few years at a similar caphit. He’s an ok stop gap player. If he’s traded we are just rushing players like Brown or Norris into his position. He’s on pace again to put up 40 points. By no means should he get a 4x4 contract. If that’s what he wants just take him to arbitration.

That's kind of the kicker though, right?

The guy is going to be 26 when it's time to re-up and is probably looking to cash in as much as possible. He also only has one-year left of RFA status.

He's not in some power position the way a UFA would be, but after his production last year and what looks to be another ~40 point season this year I'm sure he'll be looking for a (semi) sizeable bump in salary. I don't know exactly what that ends up being, but it's probably (at least) 750k/season more than he's making now.

To your point, the team can definitely take him to arbitration and squeeze him as much as possible on a 1 year term, but then they run into the same problem next deadline, but are dealing him at a less valuable point than they would if they moved him prior t o the deadline (or even prior to arb).

The team needs to have some foresight on this one. If they think CT will price himself off of this roster in the next two seasons they should be looking to move him while his value is at it's peak.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
That's kind of the kicker though, right?

The guy is going to be 26 when it's time to re-up and is probably looking to cash in as much as possible. He also only has one-year left of RFA status.

He's not in some power position the way a UFA would be, but after his production last year and what looks to be another ~40 point season this year I'm sure he'll be looking for a (semi) sizeable bump in salary. I don't know exactly what that ends up being, but it's probably (at least) 750k/season more than he's making now.

To your point, the team can definitely take him to arbitration and squeeze him as much as possible on a 1 year term, but then they run into the same problem next deadline, but are dealing him at a less valuable point than they would if they moved him prior t o the deadline (or even prior to arb).

The team needs to have some foresight on this one. If they think CT will price himself off of this roster in the next two seasons they should be looking to move him while his value is at it's peak.
I don’t think he has a lot of value, so I’m not to concerned about trading him at his peak. It might be a difference in between a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I honestly would be kind of surprised if we could get a 2nd round pick for him.

Reactions: stempniaksen

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If someone offers a 2nd and a prospect you take it and start running from the authorities.

He's not worth that. Not a 2020 2nd rounder, let alone +. He's a 3rd + 5th value. Other teams are scouting us and have bigger analytics staffs. They aren't gonna be fooled by "more assists than Stone". Tierney is just straight filler. We'll be better in the long run giving some young guy his minutes and role.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ennis doesn't PK and can't win 55% of draws.

I am not just looking at points so no I don't think you just grab a guy like Tierney.

Suggestions here are a 2nd and a prospect for Tierney - do you want to give that up for such a vanilla player that are available all over?

This seems like it is devolving...I dont love him or think he is irreplaceable...clearly I think he has more value to the team than many here and have explained it in several posts so I am done on this topic as my position and reasoning are clear.

ya - I agree that CT is better but the question isn’t CT vs Ennis. It is ... is CT better then $3 million of cap space, $3 mill allocated elsewhere , a hypothetical second round pick, and Ennis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad