Player Discussion Chris Tierney (C)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sens are 6 points out of last place with 59 games to go and have been riding hot goaltending to 25th place in the league based on point percentage.
NHL.com - Stats

Dropping the next 4 (3 on road and at home vs Bruins) could see the Sens back in dead last by the end of November.

Dec 10th. Still not in last place. Nice win last night over the Bruins

ffayyca

Nov 6, 2010
I hope NHL doesn't reward tanking teams with first overall, heck even top 3. But Detroit being an O6 team will probably mean they will get first overall.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I hope NHL doesn't reward tanking teams with first overall, heck even top 3. But Detroit being an O6 team will probably mean they will get first overall.
Bro it's a draft lottery. The rules are all ready in place. We know the odds teams have at getting top 3 draft picks relative to where they finish in the standings.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I cant imagine people wanting more from Tierney.

Understanding he isn't a high intensity player can be frustrating but he is generally in the right place at the right time and certainly can dish the puck.

Add in his solid FO% and I dont see what the fuss is about (other than being unfortunately part of Karlsson trade).

I like him and if we can keep him for a reasonable amount would love to have him as a 3rd line C for a few more years.

I love Pageau but he hasn't put up the same numbers as Tierney and if we can get more for him now then that's an easy decision for me.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm not a huge fan, but I think he deserves more PP time, if only to boost his numbers for a trade. He's a good passer, something we need on our PP.

ffayyca

Nov 6, 2010
Bro it's a draft lottery. The rules are all ready in place. We know the odds teams have at getting top 3 draft picks relative to where they finish in the standings.
But the whole thing is done behind closed doors and can be easily set by NHL if they want to help a certain team. If it's between detroit and ottawa, who do you think will get first overall?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
But the whole thing is done behind closed doors and can be easily set by NHL if they want to help a certain team. If it's between detroit and ottawa, who do you think will get first overall?

There is a video every year of the lottery being done. They release it after they reveal the order.

Teams can send people to represent and watch it being done. The Sens had sent Randy Lee in 2018, if i remember correctly.

I just found the 2019 on youtube.

The video is called : Commisioner Bettman draw lottery for 2019 nhl draft.

Reactions: TheDebater

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The NHL contracts out an independent audit firm to oversee the process. I believe it's Ernst and Young. Their reputation would be mud if they let the NHL rig the system.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Tierney put up 40 points as a 23 year old, finishing 5th in team scoring, on a 100 point San Jose team.

Was that 100 point SJ team a bad team Dave?

Was his 5th in team scoring on that team hollow Dave?

There's likely a lot more validity to my suggestion that as part of the EK trade Tierney's usefulness is downplayed by a segment here than there is to your view that a cost controlled mid 40 point C is only worth a 3rd to a 4th from a contender

I look at Tierney the same way I look at Sam Gagner or Alex Kerfoot. They're okay players. But they're not anyone I'd be excited to acquire, or lose sleep over trading.

They're just there.

Which is fine, every team needs to fill out their roster. But they're not important pieces. And as we look towards FYOUS, I don't think Tierney being here or not will have any impact on our chances.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Yup. Tierney is steady, reliable, and plays an effective and unflashy game. Nothing stands out, either good or bad, about his skills and what he brings. He's done pretty well here, he's done it quietly.

Agree with the idea that this is not the player I'd want to pay '50 points' money for. Other teams will look at his play and say the same thing - he's fine, but not exciting, just a journeyman career ahead of him. Which is fine. He's not a bad player, pretty decent actually.

We're looking at all of these promising prospects that we hope work out. Some decent players on the team will have to be jettisoned from this team to make room. Tierney is one of those players.

Goodbye Tierney, hello 2RD pick.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Bruh chill with the conspiracy theory stuff.

Whichever team wins the lottery will pick first.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Outside of the "aging" vets and UFAs to be, Tierney is the most expendable forward on the team. They need to trade him, his spot will be needed because there's a major logjam coming up. Re-signing him creates a big problem.

(2) Tkachuk and White are part of the forward core going forward

(2) Connor Brown and Anthony Duclair will probably be extended and part of the core going forward

(2) Paul has finally graduated. Logan Brown is in the process

(4) Balcers, Batherson, Norris and Formenton will graduate in the near future

That's 10 players. Maybe Paul won't be able to stick when the competition gets heavier but it's at least 9 spots.

Davidsson and Abramov will need to get their chance too. What about Chlapik? Probably forgetting about someone too

Crookshank, Gruden and Pinto are the next batch but at least won't be serious spot contenders for at least another year

Sens have 2 first round picks in the next draft who is very forward heavy. They also have 3 second round picks (plus 3 more in 2021)

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Outside of the "aging" vets and UFAs to be, Tierney is the most expendable forward on the team. They need to trade him, his spot will be needed because there's a major logjam coming up. Re-signing him creates a big problem.

(2) Tkachuk and White are part of the forward core going forward

(2) Connor Brown and Anthony Duclair will probably be extended and part of the core going forward

(2) Paul has finally graduated. Logan Brown is in the process

(4) Balcers, Batherson, Norris and Formenton will graduate in the near future

That's 10 players. Maybe Paul won't be able to stick when the competition gets heavier but it's at least 9 spots.

Davidsson and Abramov will need to get their chance too. What about Chlapik? Probably forgetting about someone too

Crookshank, Gruden and Pinto are the next batch but at least won't be serious spot contenders for at least another year

Sens have 2 first round picks in the next draft who is very forward heavy. They also have 3 second round picks (plus 3 more in 2021)

Disagree. There's no rush to trade Tierney, especially if we end up trading Pageau. Tierney is a pretty good PKer, and a solid middle-6 guy. We need someone like that. Who are we going to have down the middle next year? Brown-White-Anisimov?? That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Now, if Brown and White truly break though and become legit top 6 players, then yeah, sure, trade him. But there's absolutely to reason to trade him before that happens.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
i agree that there isn’t really a rush to trade Tierney.

Maybe we trade Pageau, and maybe not, but he is at least a UFA after all.

I don’t want to be trading away our youngish players just because we think some of the kids will be better. They need to actually show to be better at the NHL level before I would trade these guys to make room.

The place holder vets? Absolutely, they can boost their value for a playoff run while we get to take our time developing, and next year we bring up another kid or two and one or two fewer vets.

But our young cost controlled middle six guys? Naw, I want us to hold on to them until a kid stands out. Right now Brown, as an example, is not looking consistently ready to take and hold a top six spot on this team. I don’t want him given a thing. Tierney is a better player right now, and we should keep him until that changes.

Reactions: TheDebater

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
In an ideal world, it would be Tierney that is coming up on ufa status and Pageau with another year where he could be cost controlled. That would make this situation a lot easier.

As it stands, we've got a lot of pressure from underneath which really isn't something we've had a lot of for a long time. But who pans out, when they pan out, if they pan out, and what level they pan out at is obviously not clear.

We may need one of Tierney or Pageau for the next 4 or 5 years, or we may not.

Right now, Tierney's biggest asset is he buys the team time to better understand what the future holds. If Pageau signs by the deadline then Tierney is gone. If Pageau doesn't sign, he's gone and we keep Tierney

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The only thing that would sway me to hold onto Tierney instead of Pageau is that the team is in a much better spot to keep the term down on Tierney's next deal as opposed to competing with the (presumably) long term offers awaiting JGP in free agency. I'd be much more comfortable with Tierney for 2 years than I would be with Pageau for 6 (for example).

Gives the kids another couple years to develop and figure out where they stand and then in two years we roll out some combination of Brown, White, Norris, Chlapik, Pinto? Byfield/Rossi?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With all the UFAs that could be traded by the deadline they may not be able to trade Tierny too, especially if they trade Pageau, which I think they should if they can get a 1st for him. Giving Tierny another yr would work & they might be able to move him at next yr's deadline along with Anisimov & a couple of other guys. I certainly don't see Tierny as a future player on this team, but as a transition player until a better younger prospect comes along. Of course, if they do get a decent offer for Tierny they should move him too.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Disagree. There's no rush to trade Tierney, especially if we end up trading Pageau. Tierney is a pretty good PKer, and a solid middle-6 guy. We need someone like that. Who are we going to have down the middle next year? Brown-White-Anisimov?? That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Now, if Brown and White truly break though and become legit top 6 players, then yeah, sure, trade him. But there's absolutely to reason to trade him before that happens.

If you don't trade him, then you re-sign him? How long? How much?

Don't forget we have a lot of high picks in the upcoming draft. If we have the chance to draft Byfield, a guy like Tierney is just in the way. We should not be looking to build the Habs with all these good/decent players.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He’s an RFA. Re-sign him to 1 years or 2 years max. If our prospects are better than him push Tierney down to the 4th line or press box. Right now no one is doing that and I doubt that will happen next year. No point in trading him for the sake of getting a 2nd round pick. Ideally the Sens are good enough that he’s the 4th line player. He’s not good but he’s also not terrible.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If you don't trade him, then you re-sign him? How long? How much?

Don't forget we have a lot of high picks in the upcoming draft. If we have the chance to draft Byfield, a guy like Tierney is just in the way. We should not be looking to build the Habs with all these good/decent players.

It doesn't matter how long. He's an RFA. He's young. He would have value in any future trade, even if we sign him.

He's not in the way of anyone right now. He should not be traded unless other players push him out of the way. It makes absolutely no sense to move him before anyone is ready to take his spot.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Keep Pageau. Trade Tierney for me. Anisimov, Ryan, Ennis, Namestnikov as well.

I'd keep Ennis around, he doesn't have the best IQ, but he's one of the shiftiest players on the team, he can create something out of nothing...needs to simply his game a bit though. Definitely keep Pageau, he does too many good things outside of numbers alone.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It doesn't matter how long. He's an RFA. He's young. He would have value in any future trade, even if we sign him.

He's not in the way of anyone right now. He should not be traded unless other players push him out of the way. It makes absolutely no sense to move him before anyone is ready to take his spot.

The only way Tierney should be traded is if Pageau is signed and the only way Pageau should be signed is if it is team friendly

We've got what apoears to be middle 6 level prospects galore and we have the benefit of time. Tierney as a legit middle 6 C and an RFA buys us time to understand how the 2020 draft unfolds and how our prospect group matures. That time is an asset and i hope we don't f*** it up.

I'd rather keep Pageau but unfortunately Pageau's timeline puts us in a position to make a mistake. We are better off selling high on Pageau and using the time that Tierney affords us to see how things unfold.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The only way Tierney should be traded is if Pageau is signed and the only way Pageau should be signed is if it is team friendly

We've got what apoears to be middle 6 level prospects galore and we have the benefit of time. Tierney as a legit middle 6 C and an RFA buys us time to understand how the 2020 draft unfolds and how our prospect group matures. That time is an asset and i hope we don't **** it up.

I'd rather keep Pageau but unfortunately Pageau's timeline puts us in a position to make a mistake. We are better off selling high on Pageau and using the time that Tierney affords us to see how things unfold.

This aligns mostly with my thinking, though I'd probably be ok with trading Tierney and signing a UFA center to replace him for the transition to the next group. A guy like Soderberg could come cheap or maybe Grandlund. We could re-sign Namestnikov instead, or try out a guy like Galchenyuk.

I just don't see Tierney as a long term solution, so really we just need somebody to help insulate the prospects, and ideally a good role model to bring them along. Tierney is a decent fit for that, but not the only one, and we can get value back from trading him as an RFA that might make it worthwhile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad