Value of: Chris Tanev to Anaheim Ducks

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'm sorry...your solution to too few goals from your RHD is to acquire Chris Tanev?
Do you know who Chris Tanev is?
Its not really about Tanev's scoring. Its more about balance. When the Ducks D was most dangerous it was because we had Fowler, Lindholm and Vatanen each on their own pair. Tanev likely would mean Montour being on the 3rd pair much like Vatanen. Being more defensive in mind it would allow Fowler more freedom to roam a bit and use his skating more. At least that is how I would see it.

I would think that scoring depth would be of more importance to ANA than adding another dman. Also tough to see VAN making this kind of move to begin with
Ducks actually have a lot of the scoring depth. We don't need to add so much as upgrade. We have:
Getzlaf
Rakell
Perry
Kesler
Silf
Rico
Kase
Cogs
Ritchie
and Eaves.
That's 10 players that somehow have to fit into our top 9 next year. Now with Eaves the situation is tenuous as we don't know what he will come back as. It's possible hes just a 4th liner now. Still, the point remains that we have plenty of depth. Our coach just doesn't know how to use it. There are a few guys on that list that we could generally use an upgrade for. Like Ritchie, Cogs and Silf. Cogs just signed an extension and Most of like what Silf brings to the table. Certainly there is room for improvement. Just not additions without subtractions.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I never said they didn't like him. I said they did NOT offer up Liljegren and a 1st. (You sure like to read garbage rumour sites, don't you? ;) )

But they clearly realized the lunacy of offering up much of anything for him. Good.

I'd give up a 2nd for him, no problem. Maybe even our late 1st. But not the silliness being suggested.

Lol, so Hamonic was worth what...a 2nd+3rd? I have a feeling you are going to be disappointed, because i think the Leafs are going to land Tanev (i think if he wasn't injured at the deadline, it would have been done), and i think it's going to be our 1st+2nd with maybe another plus.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Its not really about Tanev's scoring. Its more about balance. When the Ducks D was most dangerous it was because we had Fowler, Lindholm and Vatanen each on their own pair. Tanev likely would mean Montour being on the 3rd pair much like Vatanen. Being more defensive in mind it would allow Fowler more freedom to roam a bit and use his skating more. At least that is how I would see it.

Ducks actually have a lot of the scoring depth. We don't need to add so much as upgrade. We have:
Getzlaf
Rakell
Perry
Kesler
Silf
Rico
Kase
Cogs
Ritchie
and Eaves.
That's 10 players that somehow have to fit into our top 9 next year. Now with Eaves the situation is tenuous as we don't know what he will come back as. It's possible hes just a 4th liner now. Still, the point remains that we have plenty of depth. Our coach just doesn't know how to use it. There are a few guys on that list that we could generally use an upgrade for. Like Ritchie, Cogs and Silf. Cogs just signed an extension and Most of like what Silf brings to the table. Certainly there is room for improvement. Just not additions without subtractions.

I know who they have....im saying im not a fan of what theyre working with. Hard to expect Eaves to return to form from 2 years ago. I like Rakell, I like Kase. I think Silf is among the most overrated players in the league. Ritchie and Cogs have marginal to average offensive ability. Getz is just a set up man now it would seem. Perry you'd like to hope returns to form but many are expecting an overhaul of the roster and he could end up one of the casualties.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Lol, so Hamonic was worth what...a 2nd+3rd? I have a feeling you are going to be disappointed, because i think the Leafs are going to land Tanev (i think if he wasn't injured at the deadline, it would have been done), and i think it's going to be our 1st+2nd with maybe another plus.

LOL. Hamonic is worth more than Tanev. And just because Calgary overpaid for a guy, it doesn't mean that we have to. The Leafs used to be dumb like that. I'm glad they aren't any more.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
LOL. Hamonic is worth more than Tanev. And just because Calgary overpaid for a guy, it doesn't mean that we have to. The Leafs used to be dumb like that. I'm glad they aren't any more.
I guess we'll see, because the dumb thing to do would be to not upgrade the D....i think they learned that lesson this post season.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I guess we'll see, because the dumb thing to do would be to not upgrade the D....i think they learned that lesson this post season.

Oh we'll very likely upgrade the D-corps. But we won't waste too many valuable assets on a guy who only played 42 games this year, and 53 the year before. I think Dubas is much smarter than that.

Anyway, this thread is about Tanev to Anaheim. So lets let Canuck fans ask for too much, and Duck's fans offer too little. ;)

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Montour is arbitration eligible and due a new contract this year. He's going to expect to be paid like a top 4 guy because he IS a top 4 guy, even if they bridge him, he's going to get at least 3-3.5. That's before Fowler and Manson's new raises kick in. Tanev seems way more pricey than the 3rd pairing guy we really need to add.

Trading a bunch of ELC assets and picks for a 5M guy who's made of glass seems like a spectacularly bad plan. Especially since if he's playing with Fowler it'd need to be someone who can clear the net front - an area Cam is particularly weak in, but probably not the best job for someone who's injured as easily and Tanev. You'd like to think they learned their lesson after the Eaves experiment.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I know who they have....im saying im not a fan of what theyre working with. Hard to expect Eaves to return to form from 2 years ago. I like Rakell, I like Kase. I think Silf is among the most overrated players in the league. Ritchie and Cogs have marginal to average offensive ability. Getz is just a set up man now it would seem. Perry you'd like to hope returns to form but many are expecting an overhaul of the roster and he could end up one of the casualties.
Sure, I even said as much. Perry isn't likely going anywhere. Cogs just resigned, leaving Ritchie and and Silf. Of those 2 players one plays an integral part of a shut down line while producing around 40 pts a year and the other plays our weakest position in the NHL. The only real option to upgrade is Ritchie IMO. Which is why I offered him for Tanev earlier in the thread. I doubt we see an overhaul. My guess is one of Ritchie or Silf is moved based on the above rationale unless BM can find someone to take Perry.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Sure, I even said as much. Perry isn't likely going anywhere. Cogs just resigned, leaving Ritchie and and Silf. Of those 2 players one plays an integral part of a shut down line while producing around 40 pts a year and the other plays our weakest position in the NHL. The only real option to upgrade is Ritchie IMO. Which is why I offered him for Tanev earlier in the thread. I doubt we see an overhaul. My guess is one of Ritchie or Silf is moved based on the above rationale unless BM can find someone to take Perry.

outside of the young d core, kase, rakell, & gibson, Id be willing to trade anyone. The current formula has been falling flat for some time now (some of that may be coaching related as well) but they've always felt like a 1 line team to me.....and one that takes too many dumb penalties

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Montour is arbitration eligible and due a new contract this year. He's going to expect to be paid like a top 4 guy because he IS a top 4 guy, even if they bridge him, he's going to get at least 3-3.5. That's before Fowler and Manson's new raises kick in. Tanev seems way more pricey than the 3rd pairing guy we really need to add.

Trading a bunch of ELC assets and picks for a 5M guy who's made of glass seems like a spectacularly bad plan. Especially since if he's playing with Fowler it'd need to be someone who can clear the net front - an area Cam is particularly weak in, but probably not the best job for someone who's injured as easily and Tanev. You'd like to think they learned their lesson after the Eaves experiment.
That is certainly a fair assessment. I agree on what Montour will be paid. That being said I do think the Ducks should be adding a D man. If you leave Montour with Fowler you still have a solid backup on the 3rd pair that can help shelter which ever rookie we decide to play there. If we get a top 4 injury we have the luxury of having a someone we can plug in there for sure. IMO if we are going to get a veteran to play on the 3rd line Id rather pay more and get a legit player then penny pinch for another Bieksa..

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
outside of the young d core, kase, rakell, & gibson, Id be willing to trade anyone. The current formula has been falling flat for some time now (some of that may be coaching related as well) but they've always felt like a 1 line team to me.....and one that takes too many dumb penalties
The Kesler line 2 years ago was a legit scoring threat. Kase and Rico this year were as well. Rico's line had a rough playoffs but they were productive in the regular season. If Kesler can rebound after a full summer of healing then IMO our depth isn't bad at all.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
To TOR:

Chris Tanev
Brandon Suter

To VAN:

1st
2nd
Carrick/Nielsen/Holl
Martin

Is that a good framework to start a deal?
How has even an Anaheim Vancouver thread turn into a Toronto Tanev thread yet again lol. The trade speculation will never end!

I for one would probably accept that deal if it Sutter wasn't included. Matt Martin would essentially be a cap dump so taking on that salary well overpaying with Sutter just doesn't make snese.

1st, 2nd, Prospect for Tanev alone would be fine by me. If you want Martin taken it could be worked out. He only has 1 year left right? We can probably move Sutter separately for a late 1st and a 2nd/3rd if we wanted to eat some of his salary.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
How has even an Anaheim Vancouver thread turn into a Toronto Tanev thread yet again lol. The trade speculation will never end!

I for one would probably accept that deal if it Sutter wasn't included. Matt Martin would essentially be a cap dump so taking on that salary well overpaying with Sutter just doesn't make snese.

1st, 2nd, Prospect for Tanev alone would be fine by me. If you want Martin taken it could be worked out. He only has 1 year left right? We can probably move Sutter separately for a late 1st and a 2nd/3rd if we wanted to eat some of his salary.

That was my fault....apologies, i will back away.:thumbu:

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
How is Jacob Larsson progressing for you guys? I remember him being highly touted, but now he hasn’t been regarded as highly?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How is Jacob Larsson progressing for you guys? I remember him being highly touted, but now he hasn’t been regarded as highly?
Idk about that... he had some injuries this year but pretty sure the team is just taking their time with him no need to rush him up.. i fully expect him to be an important part of our defense next year.

I also think a lot of people are sleeping on him, he doesnt get a ton of love because he isnt flashey but he should be a pretty good nhl dmen as soon as next season. Mahura looks like hell be another option in the not too distant future also

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad