Value of: Chris Tanev to Anaheim Ducks

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Curious about the asking price. With so little goals this post season we miss Vatanens RHD presence. What would it take to land him in Anaheim?

We all know Toronto is in on him as well as Edmonton. Just give us a ball park figure.

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler- Tanev
Pettersson - Montour

We could use him with Beauchemin retired and getting more shots from the point.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
While I like Tanev as a player, I doubt BM does this. With our luck with players with injury history's Tanev would probably play 30ish games before a career threatening injury. If the cost wasn't too high I'd certainly consider it still though. Having a player like that makes us better when healthy and its almost a built in opportunity to see if young players can step up.

Reactions: 405Exit

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
What are some of your higher end prospects? I would have zero issue moving him to Anaheim with your ageing core. Vancouver might even be willing to take on Perry's contract as well if you made it worth our while. You guys need your youth. Vancouver needs an elite top line left winger and quality right handed D depth. I know you guys have Sam Steel but I can't imagine trading him would make sense unless you are going all in on winning with that core. Coming from a Canucks fan I can tell you it leads to a dark road if you deplete your prospect pool well chasing a cup with an ill-equipped team. If you decide to add a Tanev I think you need to explore moving Perry and / or Kesler. Kesler imo is a must move. He is way to beaten down. Perry is underperforming for his contract so it makes it difficult.

Veterans ages next year:
Perry will be 33
Getzlaf will be 34
Kesler will be 34

To me you need to move 2 of these guys out. I would keep Getzlaf unless you feel Rakall can take over first line duties. Getzlaf would get you the best return hands down. My advice would be try and reload and not get Tanev to be honest. You guys need more youth unless you plan on reloading quickly like San Jose over a few seasons. But to do that you need to hit some home runs and make some good deals with your aging veterans. One trade I proposed in another topic was trying to move Corey Perry for Phil Kessel. Phil is 3 years younger and would give your top line a different complexion. His offence could offset the loss of Perry's production. The pen's may gamble on him if u eat some of Perry's salary say 1.5 mill of it. Perry's size and scoring touch would be a nice addition to their top 6. Malkin and Perry or better yet Crosby and Perry would be a lethal duo and Perry's lack of foot speed would be less of a concern with Crosby creating space and making the insane passes he does.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Max Jones and Sam Steel are your two most desirable prospects in my mind. I wouldn't trade Sam Steel in your position. Perhaps a deal around one of your other NHL D would work. Possibly a two D deal on both sides. Pouliot/Hutton along with Tanev for Larssen and Montour? I don't know tho. Would that even work? I think Anaheim is a bit starved on prospects. Your GM really needs to get more prospects by moving some of the older - failing veterans out. Columbus or Pittsburgh or any top contender next year looking for a 3rd line C would do great to add Kesler. The only issue is he has way to much term left.

Might be better served to rock a top 6 of:

Free Agent - RAKELL - SILFVERBERG
HENRIQUE - KESLER - KASE

I would consider Getzlaf as a trade chip since Kesler's contract is likely unmovable. Keep Kes to be a veteran leader and run the 2nd line. Maybe go after a guy not named "evander kane" because he's our guy :P. Then maybe move a few pieces like a Nick Ritchie for a young 3rd line C who can give you more C depth. You could probably move one of your top 4 D out as well for prospects to boost your pool of kids. Then ride it out for a couple years and hope to get back into it when the kids arrive in 2-3 years. You have a lot of young players but you are kind of saddled with the big contracts of Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler. Getzlaf would be the guy i'd want to keep as a culture carrier but Kesler won't get you much of a return if you even can move him. So Getzlaf would make the most sense. To a good team you could get a boatload of prospects and picks.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Max Jones and Sam Steel are your two most desirable prospects in my mind. I wouldn't trade Sam Steel in your position. Perhaps a deal around one of your other NHL D would work. Possibly a two D deal on both sides. Pouliot/Hutton along with Tanev for Larssen and Montour? I don't know tho. Would that even work? I think Anaheim is a bit starved on prospects. Your GM really needs to get more prospects by moving some of the older - failing veterans out. Columbus or Pittsburgh or any top contender next year looking for a 3rd line C would do great to add Kesler. The only issue is he has way to much term left.

Might be better served to rock a top 6 of:

Free Agent - RAKELL - SILFVERBERG
HENRIQUE - KESLER - KASE

I would consider Getzlaf as a trade chip since Kesler's contract is likely unmovable. Keep Kes to be a veteran leader and run the 2nd line. Maybe go after a guy not named "evander kane" because he's our guy :P. Then maybe move a few pieces like a Nick Ritchie for a young 3rd line C who can give you more C depth. You could probably move one of your top 4 D out as well for prospects to boost your pool of kids. Then ride it out for a couple years and hope to get back into it when the kids arrive in 2-3 years. You have a lot of young players but you are kind of saddled with the big contracts of Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler. Getzlaf would be the guy i'd want to keep as a culture carrier but Kesler won't get you much of a return if you even can move him. So Getzlaf would make the most sense. To a good team you could get a boatload of prospects and picks.

Wow.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I like Tanev, but he isn’t a need. I’d rather go all in on an impact forward if we’re going to be making trades

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I like Tanev, but he isn’t a need. I’d rather go all in on an impact forward if we’re going to be making trades
Yeah, Tanev wouldn't be a good fit for Anaheim. You guys tend to get into heavy games with big teams. Tanev's better off on a quick puck possession team where the games do not escalate to intense physicality as frequently. Unless you want him banged up a lot. I'll stop posting for the time being. clearly guy above isn't a fan.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Curious about the asking price. With so little goals this post season we miss Vatanens RHD presence. What would it take to land him in Anaheim?

We all know Toronto is in on him as well as Edmonton. Just give us a ball park figure.

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler- Tanev
Pettersson - Montour

We could use him with Beauchemin retired and getting more shots from the point.

I don't think Edmonton has much interest in Tanev unless the price is low.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I don't think Edmonton has much interest in Tanev unless the price is low.

From what I read from the fans is you need a RHD and wish you traded with us for Vatanen. Ducks are in the same position. We could use a RHD with one of our vets retiring.

** Yes Beauchemin was LD but the dude could shoot. Now we lack that on our pairings.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I like tanev but would rather see us move out some contracts and open spots young players than trade any young asset.
I like that approach for you guys too. I just hate to see teams get stuck like Vancouver did. Bottom feeder after a few strong playoff series vs the hawks and a cup run. We tried to claw our way into the playoffs got a first-round sweep vs the sharks then missed the playoffs until we got lucky 1 last time in 2015 where Calgary kicked our ass lol. You guys at least have some young players on your team but your prospect pool isn't very full of A grade prospects. Moving a vet or two could help transition the team to a younger, faster team.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
From what I read from the fans is you need a RHD and wish you traded with us for Vatanen. Ducks are in the same position. We could use a RHD with one of our vets retiring.

** Yes Beauchemin was LD but the dude could shoot. Now we lack that on our pairings.

Yeah we could use a RD but were stacked on depth he's basically the same player as Larsson we need a legit top pair D

Reactions: Steven Rush

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Although Tanev is not a replacement of Vatanen, since he is a shutdown defenseman, while Vatanen is a puck-moving one, the price would be a mid first-round pick, a second-round pick, and a really bad prospect.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Although Tanev is not a replacement of Vatanen, since he is a shutdown defenseman, while Vatanen is a puck-moving one, the price would be a mid first-round pick, a second-round pick, and a really bad prospect.

Even with the injury history? And current contract? That seems a bit excessive.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Hamonic got a first and two seconds. Tanev has a slightly lower value, due to his injury history.

That’s fair to say. Could the deal be done with contingency? Because we got boned hard on that Eaves signing thinking he would save our forward group.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If the Ducks did do a trade with Van for Tanev, I'd likely want it centered around Ritchie. Earlier in the year it was suggested they wanted a big forward with skill and Ritchie has that potential. A lot of Ducks fans around here don't like the idea of trading Ritchie yet as it would be "giving up on him too early." To me, Ritchie is the most movable forward the Ducks have.

Reactions: skyo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad