TSN: Chris Tanev looking for a 4-5 yr deal

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Generally, the worst free agency mistakes involve signing mid-tier players like him to a longer term deal. It depends on how much he signs for, but I'd stay away

LA has had a lot of past success signing mid-tier D to UFA contracts. But I think on the NHL level, we're good for the moment on RHD. We could use a LHD of his level. But, probably we will go younger than Tanev.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Tanev was a boss in the playoffs, and is consistently one of our best defenders. I'd give hime the 4 years at up to 5 mill. This is a guy you can win with. Also, his passing is underated.

I admit he has been injury prone but this year he changed his excess shot blocking during the regular season and did not get injured.. Willing to gamble he can keep it up.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Love Tanev but he's a mistake anything longer then 3 years considering his injury history. Hope Canucks pass or we get him for a deal we can't pass.
I wonder what he expects in total dollars? 20-25 million? So either 4.5 times five years, or 5.5 times four years? I think the Canucks can’t afford that; too many bad contracts eating up cap space.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Tanev was a boss in the playoffs, and is consistently one of our best defenders. I'd give hime the 4 years at up to 5 mill. This is a guy you can win with. Also, his passing is underated.

I admit he has been injury prone but this year he changed his excess shot blocking during the regular season and did not get injured.. Willing to gamble he can keep it up.

I'd go 4x5 for Tanev as well. Pretty sure the Canucks will find a way to keep him. I'd go with Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom in that order of importance to re sign. Marksrtom may be the odd one out, depending on how much money JB can move out, and what clauses JM wants.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I wonder what he expects in total dollars? 20-25 million? So either 4.5 times five years, or 5.5 times four years? I think the Canucks can’t afford that; too many bad contracts eating up cap space.

I'd have no issues with offering Tanev on a 5 x 5.5 deal to play 2nd pairing on the Flames if Brodie and Hamonic are out. It might actually help keep him healthy too.

Gio - Andersson
Hanifin - Tanev

Seems like a pretty solid top 4 to me.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Tanev had a healthy season because he played with a puck possession, offence driving phenom for a partner. Wherever he signs, he will need a guy like Hughes to partner with or he’s going to be spending too much time in his own end defending, and get injured. Tanev is tough as they come. He blocks shots and takes hits to make plays. He needs the right partner, or he’s going to get injured.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
If Tanev leaves, i'm pretty sure Benning will put on his Saffari hat and do some good ol' big game UFA hunting and i seriously doubt any Vancouver fan wants that to happen again. If they can hardball him to a 3-year deal all the more power to them, but if that extra year ends up with him walking i seriously think that it will end up biting them in the ass.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'd have no issues with offering Tanev on a 5 x 5.5 deal to play 2nd pairing on the Flames if Brodie and Hamonic are out. It might actually help keep him healthy too.

Gio - Andersson
Hanifin - Tanev

Seems like a pretty solid top 4 to me.
Hanifin would have his best offensive years with Tanev for his partner.

Reactions: Fig

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Even though he didn’t miss a game this year Tanev’s injury concerns over his career would stop me from giving him that type of term. Players don’t usually get healthier in their 30s

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
5 years is too long, he’s 31 for the upcoming season and with his injury history it’s a bit risky. 3 years would be perfect, I could live with 4 years if the cap hit is right.
Four years at 5.5 million would (imo) get Tanev signed in Vancouver. The problem is the Canucks have 20 million in cap committed to toxic contracts, so they don’t have any room to fit Tanev in.

Reactions: iFan and Morrison

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hanifin would have his best offensive years with Tanev for his partner.

On paper, it seems like it's a good match. Hanifin is also looking to develop his defensive game per a podcast, so he wouldn't be rovering into the ozone and leaving Tanev to dry. Plus Hanifin could learn to be defensively responsible by watching Tanev up close and Gio from behind.

I think one of the biggest things to consider is that if Tanev is making less than 6, I think he's easily a guy worth targeting in general. I get the concern of relying on him being a pillar on the top pair due to injuries, but I think I'd get more than my money's worth with him on the 2nd pair at 5.5 x 5 easily.

Heck, while I get it's a bad contract, consider Myers was signed to 6 to play as a 2nd pairing dman.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
On paper, it seems like it's a good match. Hanifin is also looking to develop his defensive game per a podcast, so he wouldn't be rovering into the ozone and leaving Tanev to dry. Plus Hanifin could learn to be defensively responsible by watching Tanev up close and Gio from behind.

I think one of the biggest things to consider is that if Tanev is making less than 6, I think he's easily a guy worth targeting in general. I get the concern of relying on him being a pillar on the top pair due to injuries, but I think I'd get more than my money's worth with him on the 2nd pair at 5.5 x 5 easily.

Heck, while I get it's a bad contract, consider Myers was signed to 6 to play as a 2nd pairing dman.
Agreed. There will be several teams (especially ones with young left shot D men they want mentored) to offer good money to Tanev. Flames, Sens, Sabres, and even the Leafs. The one team mentioned in the Tanev rumours I don’t get is the Pens.

Reactions: Fig

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Tanev is the biggest proof of recency bias.

Vancouver fans couldnt pack this guys bag fast enough the last 2 trade deadlines because he was constantly and i mean constantly injured.

Now, after 1 healthy season and 1 healthy playoff run, we all of a sudden want to sign him to a long term contract.

I'd be okay with 3-4 years at a great AAV but im not losing sleep if we walk away from him.

Quinn Hughes also made Brayden Schenn look like an NHL player when he played with Hughes his 1st 5 games. Tanev is very replacable.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Wasn't there a rumor that Hughes went to management and asked them to make sure he stays?

Some Vancouver fan mentioned that to me.

Hughes did interviews saying he loves Tanev and he helped Hughes alot during his rookie season and would love to have him back. However, Hughes also said he trusts Benning and Weisbrod and doesnt get involved in that kind of stuff.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
If he's looking for a payrise then I would try and get him to sacrifice term. I'd be somewhat hesitant to give him 4-5 years around $5 million. I'd give him 3 years at $5 million but if he wants 4 or 5, I'd offer 4.5 and 3.75 million respectively.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Weird. He actually stated in a semi recent interview that he would consider a 1 year contract what with everything that is going on, I guess he changed his mind.

Sure, 4 years at 4.5mil.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
With Petry Getting 6.25million × 4 years and Edmundson at 3.5million x 4 years what do we think Tanev gets? I'm gonna guess somewhere in between those two at 5 million × 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad