TSN: Chris Tanev looking for a 4-5 yr deal

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Tanev is the biggest proof of recency bias.

Vancouver fans couldnt pack this guys bag fast enough the last 2 trade deadlines because he was constantly and i mean constantly injured.

Now, after 1 healthy season and 1 healthy playoff run, we all of a sudden want to sign him to a long term contract.

I'd be okay with 3-4 years at a great AAV but im not losing sleep if we walk away from him.

Quinn Hughes also made Brayden Schenn look like an NHL player when he played with Hughes his 1st 5 games. Tanev is very replacable.

No, SOME Canucks fans couldn't pack his bags fast enough the last 2 deadlines because he was the only Canuck with value and the team was rebuilding and wanted lots of picks.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
No, SOME Canucks fans couldn't pack his bags fast enough the last 2 deadlines because he was the only Canuck with value and the team was rebuilding and wanted lots of picks.

Value? yeah im sure there was a line up for a Defencman that spent more time on the IR than on the ice.

The fact the Canuck fans wanted him gone for like 4th or 5th rnd pick just shows recency bias.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Agreed. There will be several teams (especially ones with young left shot D men they want mentored) to offer good money to Tanev. Flames, Sens, Sabres, and even the Leafs. The one team mentioned in the Tanev rumours I don’t get is the Pens.

Vancouver, Leafs, Sens are all teams that would want Tanev to be first pairing, no? I think that situation exacerbates his injury concerns which may scare them from offering term.

Calgary and Buffalo I think are the teams that would probably be looking to have Tanev to play as 2nd pairing with only spot duty 1st pairing (I believe Dahlin prefers RD even though he's a left shot). Both teams may consider offering term if considering it from this perspective to increase his longevity.

Even if Calgary runs a Gio - Tanev pairing, both Peters/Ward have historically been trying to force Gio to play less and really running up the young guy's TOI so that the odds of Gio himself getting injured/burnt out is lower. It's possible Flames run with:

Hanifin - Andersson
Gio - Tanev

Within a few years if they got their hands on Tanev and IMO it's still a very solid top 4 with Valimaki looking to supplant Gio soon after that. TBH, I really like the idea of Tanev in Flames silks more than AP. Both due to fit reasons and cap structure reasons.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Playing with a zone exit god like Hughes is the reason Tanev was able to stay healthy for once. Big mistake for him to leave IMO

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Value? yeah im sure there was a line up for a Defencman that spent more time on the IR than on the ice.

The fact the Canuck fans wanted him gone for like 4th or 5th rnd pick just shows recency bias.

Again, SOME Canucks fans would have been willing to get rid of him for nothing, but most recognized that he still had value despite injury concerns and wanted to get any value from him before he walked in FA... like... he's about to do.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
If you sum up all the games he'll play over a period of 4 seasons... you might be lucky to get 2 seasons worth of games. Dude is fragile physically and mentally. AND before you shoot me... I just think some players play through injuries and some copout. It's a fact.

Please don't tell me that Alex Ovechkin hasn't had injuries along the way. He just plays through them like a savage.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Again, SOME Canucks fans would have been willing to get rid of him for nothing, but most recognized that he still had value despite injury concerns and wanted to get any value from him before he walked in FA... like... he's about to do.

Canuck's clearly made the right call and kept him and allowed Hughes to have a solid partnet and foundational year and Tanev was big part of Canucks playoff run. Gimme that over the 4th round pick or worse he would have returned at the deadline a few years ago

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Makes sense. He should get roughly the same deal that Muzzin got.

With Petry Getting 6.25million × 4 years and Edmundson at 3.5million x 4 years what do we think Tanev gets? I'm gonna guess somewhere in between those two at 5 million × 4 years.

Yea. I'd say that's pretty close. Around 20M total. I could see 5x5 too.

Last edited:

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Canuck's clearly made the right call and kept him and allowed Hughes to have a solid partnet and foundational year and Tanev was big part of Canucks playoff run. Gimme that over the 4th round pick or worse he would have returned at the deadline a few years ago

Yes, that was the correct call, most Canucks fans would have said if all we were getting was a 4th round pick it's more worth it to just keep him and resign him... but letting him walk for nothing wasn't in anybody's plans.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
If you sum up all the games he'll play over a period of 4 seasons... you might be lucky to get 2 seasons worth of games. Dude is fragile physically and mentally. AND before you shoot me... I just think some players play through injuries and some copout. It's a fact.

Please don't tell me that Alex Ovechkin hasn't had injuries along the way. He just plays through them like a savage.

Tanev is probably one of the toughest SOBs in the game. He plays through injuries and broken bones all the time, its probably why he is often injured because he would try to return early.

Comparing Ovechkin and Tanev arent the same.

Tanev probably blocks more shots in a 1 week of games than Ovi did his entire career. Their bodies dont go through the same trauma.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i'm not ok with 4 to 5 yrs.

we just can't be banking on yet another player to age well into their 30s that never has been healthy to begin with.

The problem for me is we have so little cap space that allocating 5 million to a one dimensional guy that going forward will be a 4/5 is a bad decision. The money needs to be saved for our future and locking Tanev and Myers at 11 million to fill secondary 4/5 defense roles will handcuff the defense from ever getting better.

If he wasn't so beat up and was more of a hammer than a nail i would entertain it but as someone said he's likely gonna slide more when healthy and miss more due to age and his body being so beat down. Had a nice season but also showed lots of regression and was completely worn down by the Vegas series. I don't think he can be relied upon to be strong through 4 rounds but he is a warrior and i love the guy. I would put a nice 3yr deal on the table and if that extra year or 2 of security is so important then all the best.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Tanev is the biggest proof of recency bias.

Vancouver fans couldnt pack this guys bag fast enough the last 2 trade deadlines because he was constantly and i mean constantly injured.

Now, after 1 healthy season and 1 healthy playoff run, we all of a sudden want to sign him to a long term contract.

I'd be okay with 3-4 years at a great AAV but im not losing sleep if we walk away from him.

Quinn Hughes also made Brayden Schenn look like an NHL player when he played with Hughes his 1st 5 games. Tanev is very replacable.

Tanev is not “very replaceable”. With that comment, who are you replacing him with so easily?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Isn't he injury prone?

It's like signing Horton or Clarkson and you know how the contract will turn out.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Tanev is not “very replaceable”. With that comment, who are you replacing him with so easily?

A guy like Demelo or Dillon id be fine with to play with Hughes. Sign them short term then go big game hunting to fix the defence in 2022 when theres a ridiculous crop of UFA dmen.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Tanev is gonna get 5x5 somewhere isnt he?

Probably, and if he stays healthy, big IF, that contract is a steal.

but unfortunately i dont think he can stay healthy for that long.

Who are the top zone exit Dmen in the NHL, Tanev needs to be playing with one of those guys to guranteee better health

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
i'm not ok with 4 to 5 yrs.

we just can't be banking on yet another player to age well into their 30s that never has been healthy to begin with.

The problem for me is we have so little cap space that allocating 5 million to a one dimensional guy that going forward will be a 4/5 is a bad decision. The money needs to be saved for our future and locking Tanev and Myers at 11 million to fill secondary 4/5 defense roles will handcuff the defense from ever getting better.

If he wasn't so beat up and was more of a hammer than a nail i would entertain it but as someone said he's likely gonna slide more when healthy and miss more due to age and his body being so beat down. Had a nice season but also showed lots of regression and was completely worn down by the Vegas series. I don't think he can be relied upon to be strong through 4 rounds but he is a warrior and i love the guy. I would put a nice 3yr deal on the table and if that extra year or 2 of security is so important then all the best.

Serious question... is this somehow more on the players or is there perhaps a problem with the systems you guys are using? Of former Flames alone, both Baertschi and Ferland are considered bad contracts, but honestly speaking, both guys have had their head bopped way too many damn times in Canucks silks.

From 2017-2018, the only dman who I see play 82 games is Michael Del Zotto. What is up with that? You guys complain Tanev is injury prone, but I'm looking at Edler's games played and it doesn't look too dissimilar, but I don't hear complaints about him. 2019-2020 is the first season it looks like you guys have a few guys play almost all the games with Hughes/Tanev/Stetcher and Myers playing 68/69 games.

When the Flames played with Hartley, we often had a ton of man games lost. Under Gulutzan and Peters, those man games lost dropped dramatically. I'm wondering if the injury issues relating to Tanev are also a factor of the style the Canucks are playing.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Ottawa is rebuilding but Tanev would be the perfect addition and pairing for Chabot to help him develop the right way and under the right conditions.

I'm not sure Tanev would want to be part of another rebuild but the Sens should target him especially since they wont be as concerned as other teams if Tanev does miss some games with injuries being that they wont be a playoff team anytime soon

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
A guy like Demelo or Dillon id be fine with to play with Hughes. Sign them short term then go big game hunting to fix the defence in 2022 when theres a ridiculous crop of UFA dmen.

You can be fine with those guys if you like, but they aren’t on Tanev’s level. We’re thin on D as it is and losing Tanev is asking the rest of the D to play minutes they can’t handle. I’m not saying sign him at all costs but I’d sure like to see him around for the next 3 years. And I’d give him 4 if he’s willing to sign for 5 Mill since that’s obviously a hometown discount.
Unfortunately, it’s going to be tough because moving one of the bad contracts looks like an impossibility right now.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Serious question... is this somehow more on the players or is there perhaps a problem with the systems you guys are using? Of former Flames alone, both Baertschi and Ferland are considered bad contracts, but honestly speaking, both guys have had their head bopped way too many damn times in Canucks silks.

From 2017-2018, the only dman who I see play 82 games is Michael Del Zotto. What is up with that? You guys complain Tanev is injury prone, but I'm looking at Edler's games played and it doesn't look too dissimilar, but I don't hear complaints about him. 2019-2020 is the first season it looks like you guys have a few guys play almost all the games with Hughes/Tanev/Stetcher and Myers playing 68/69 games.

When the Flames played with Hartley, we often had a ton of man games lost. Under Gulutzan and Peters, those man games lost dropped dramatically. I'm wondering if the injury issues relating to Tanev are also a factor of the style the Canucks are playing.

Theyve never had a Dman like Hughes before so in years previous they were one of the worst teams exiting the zone and having possesion. So Dmen like Tanev and Edler were always under fire blocking shots or taking hits.

Surprise surprise, possesion monster Hughes gave Tanev his first healthy year.

Reactions: Fig

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
You can be fine with those guys if you like, but they aren’t on Tanev’s level. We’re thin on D as it is and losing Tanev is asking the rest of the D to play minutes they can’t handle. I’m not saying sign him at all costs but I’d sure like to see him around for the next 3 years. And I’d give him 4 if he’s willing to sign for 5 Mill since that’s obviously a hometown discount.
Unfortunately, it’s going to be tough because moving one of the bad contracts looks like an impossibility right now.

I'd be willing to bet on a guy like Hughes being able to elevate someone like Dillon or Demelo to play on Tanev's level. Tanev wasnt even on Tanev level until this year.

I dont think his contract will be crippling especially since the cap should go up in 3 years. I just dont know if he will be able to perform at this level in a couple of years. His body has a lot of miles on it and he will be no good to us on IR list.

Like I said, my plan is to offer him 3 yrs at 4.75 mil.. if he walks then he walks and you thank him for his service in Vancouver. He was a warrior.

Then you sign a low cost stay at home Dman or trade for one to partner with Hughes.

Just keep developing and building over the next two years and dont anchor yourself with bad contracts then go big game hunting in 2022 when the Canuck core is at their prime and abou 30 mil of cap space opens up and the likes Morgam Reily, Seth jones, Adam Fox, etc hit free agency.

We dont need to bend over backwards for Tanev in hopes of getting 2 more prime years from him when our window isnt opened yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad