Rumor: Chris Tanev in play; Leafs interested

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I did say If...

I love Liljegren but let's not pretend he set the AHL on fire, he had a really good year for his age.

Merkley/Sandin/Addison + Tanev for Lilly + 52nd, I wouldn't be crying. Rather hold onto Lilly though.

A trade like that looks extremely shortsighted and theres no gurantee either Merkley or Sandin will still be left on the board.

I didnt know we were at a point where we needed to trade our best prospect for a good D that can never stay healthy.

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
I did say If...

I love Liljegren but let's not pretend he set the AHL on fire, he had a really good year for his age.

Merkley/Sandin/Addison + Tanev for Lilly + 52nd, I wouldn't be crying. Rather hold onto Lilly though.
Lilly was only 18 for the whole regular season and was still able to put 17 points in 44 games. I was extremely happy with his production this year, and he did all that while transitioning to smaller North American ice, and he was also coming off of a year where he barely played.

The leafs including Liljegren in a trade for Tanev would make absolutely no sense. Lilly's ceiling is far higher than Tanev's, and the leafs aren't desperate enough to go after Tanev if it's at the expense of their best RHD prospect.

Last edited:

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I did say If...

Toronto can give up picks rather then a talented RD that suits their system. Overpay with picks that are not first rounders.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Lilly was only 18 for the whole regular season and was still able to put 17 points in 44 games. I was extremely happy with his production this year, and he did all that while transitioning to smaller North American ice, and he was also coming off of a year where he barely played. The leafs including Liljegren in a trade for Tanev would make absolutely no sense. Lilly's ceiling is far higher than Tanev's, and the leafs aren't desperate enough to go after Tanev if it's at the expense of their best RHD prospect.
I know Lilgren's stats line, been following him since he was two years out of his draft. I said he had a really good year given his age, still a long way to go.

As for his ceiling, he's still a long shot to be Tanev good, Tanev is an elite shutdown defensemen in a league where they are few of the sort, his control zone exits are exactly what the Leafs need. He has a skill set that is harder to find than Liljegren's.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I know Lilgren's stats line, been following him since he was two years out of his draft. I said he had a really good year given his age, still a long way to go.

As for his ceiling, he's still a long shot to be Tanev good, Tanev is an elite shutdown defensemen in a league where they are few of the sort, his control zone exits are exactly what the Leafs need. He has a skill set that is harder to find than Liljegren's.

No term is giving up their top prospect for Tanev especially given his injury history
See that is what canuck fans just blindly ignore they don't believe it matters

HC7

May 2, 2018
Liljegren is a better D prospect that Juolevi. Would the Buck's take Tanev over Juolevi?

Tanev is worst a 2nd plus something small at the absolute most. He doesn't play, he's overrated. His cap sucks.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
sooo pretty much.... 2 first round picks / one 2nd / one 4th and a cap dump in Martin for Tanev.. That's way to much for Toronto to pay just to get rid of Martin and to have Tanev for 60? games

You see it that way, I see it as a good but not great forward prospect who would be on his 3rd organization if traded, a low first, one of 2 recent 2ND rounders already drafted (not taking a raw pick) for someone who would be on your top pairing and a 4th to take an overpaid 4th liner making 2.5m this year and next.

OK in all seriousness in regards to Tanev's injury history; the reason he got hurt is because the Canucks blue line is hot garbage and he is asked TO DO EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME. As much as it pains me to say it, Tanev would probably be a 72+ gamer on TML because you actually have other high quality defensemen who can do lots of things well. Tanev wouldn't be replied upon to literally save the team defensively night in and night out

Edit: This was the offer I proposed:

Kapanen
1st
4th + Grundstrom/Rasanen
Martin

for

Tanev
and a throw-away contract
Can add Reid Boucher or someone like that for depth/AHL strength if desired

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Liljegren is a better D prospect that Juolevi. Would the Buck's take Tanev over Juolevi?

Tanev is worst a 2nd plus something small at the absolute most. He doesn't play, he's overrated. His cap sucks.
I wouldn't trade Lily....but the rest pf your post is bupkis. I mean his cap sucks? 4.5??

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This isn't me saying everyone is not available, but Babcock and others have been very vocal about how much they like Grundstrom....and they like him a lot.

I think Grundstrom is a good prospect too, but like you said, if someone like Grundstrom is off the table, that doesn't leave a whole lot of room...I'd rather have Kap or Johnsson but even I think that's overkill combined with a first. When we get down to the Bracco/Marchment types, I just don't see them really adding anything of note to the organization.

I can see how Grundstrom + 1st is tough to swallow for Leafs fans - it's not an insignificant price - but I do sincerely feel it's a pretty fair deal. Tanev is a quality defenseman and provides defensive ability that literally maybe 4-5 other defenders in the league can bring. He's got a very manageable cap hit for the next two seasons (which will be critically important with the contracts that Dubas will have to sign in the upcoming summers), and provides an element (defensively oriented RHD) that would maximally benefit a team like the Leafs.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Aaaah, another person who doesn't know what they're talking about. Please exit this thread and let reasonable fans discuss.

Reactions: TheFlow

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Your first statement makes absolutely no sense. Like none. So what you're saying is if someone like McDavid was foolishly traded for a 7th rounder, then obviously he has no value? I mean, that's what the return indicates. This is your logic. It's bad.

Your 2nd statement is equally foolish. I could say the same to you. I've likely watched more of his games, and in addition, actually presented hard evidence to support my opinion.

It's pretty obvious you don't have any credible arguments.

When did McDavid get traded for a 7th? Was that ever discussed? Must have missed it.

Your stats are empty. If a coach doesn't play a player a ton it means he's just not elite (or the coach is terrible). In Tanev's case, he was given average minutes and played okay, just okay. That's not the makings of an impact player. He's just a guy. Guys like that get dealt for 2nd or 3rd round picks. But in this case the player can't stay healthy, so he's not even worth that realistically.

Based on the amount of time I'm in rinks watching hockey, I'll trust my opinion over yours. My reputation is undeniable.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
When did McDavid get traded for a 7th? Was that ever discussed? Must have missed it.

Your stats are empty. If a coach doesn't play a player a ton it means he's just not elite (or the coach is terrible). In Tanev's case, he was given average minutes and played okay, just okay. That's not the makings of an impact player. He's just a guy. Guys like that get dealt for 2nd or 3rd round picks. But in this case the player can't stay healthy, so he's not even worth that realistically.

Based on the amount of time I'm in rinks watching hockey, I'll trust my opinion over yours. My reputation is undeniable.

What reputation? Who are you supposed to be?

And again, your logic is terrible. It's pure appeal to authority (and worse). I'm just taking your logic to it's own conclusion. You said if someone is traded for a low price, then clearly they have low value. So if McDavid were traded for a 7th tomorrow, then obviously he has low value. That's your logic.

NOW you're saying if a coach doesn't play a guy, it means he's bad. Well, I guess every single player on the Vegas Golden Knights was patently terrible before this season. Karlsson? What a bum. Torts obviously knew he was trash. Shea Theodore? Nate Schmidt? Colin Miller? Their old coaches knew they were only bottom-pair quality guys. McPhee obviously got swindled into thinking they were better than their prior organizations thought....This is your logic. It's incoherent.

And again, your evaluation of Tanev is patently false. Eye test and statistics demonstrate he is in the very upper echelon of defensive defensemen. I provided evidence. You did not.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan

With an ego that large....nevermore I don't want to get an infraction. You talk about your "reputation" like anyone gives a hoot who you are. You're a nobody poster on HFBoards, get over yourself.

Also a pro tip: there are lots of people who spend a lot of time in rinks watching hockey who don't know jack-youknowwhat about the players. That's where you fit in, quit pretending to be anyone of consequence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grub

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
So in other words, none of your decent prospects. I suppose the Canucks should take Andrew Nielson?
Tanev isn't valuable enough to get one of Toronto's best young players. His injuries and the uncertainty around him make it difficult to justify trading top prospects for him.

Prospects like Dmytro Timashov and Andrew Nielsen are guys that are still very young and have potential. Especially Timashov. Vancouver is not getting Grundstrom, Liljegren or Dermott. Those are not even an option. So if there is some truth to this rumour of Toronto being interested, it won't include any of Toronto's best prospects solely based on Tanev's injuries.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I think Grundstrom is a good prospect too, but like you said, if someone like Grundstrom is off the table, that doesn't leave a whole lot of room...I'd rather have Kap or Johnsson but even I think that's overkill combined with a first. When we get down to the Bracco/Marchment types, I just don't see them really adding anything of note to the organization.

I can see how Grundstrom + 1st is tough to swallow for Leafs fans - it's not an insignificant price - but I do sincerely feel it's a pretty fair deal. Tanev is a quality defenseman and provides defensive ability that literally maybe 4-5 other defenders in the league can bring. He's got a very manageable cap hit for the next two seasons (which will be critically important with the contracts that Dubas will have to sign in the upcoming summers), and provides an element (defensively oriented RHD) that would maximally benefit a team like the Leafs.

All of that might be true about Tanev but you left out the fact that he misses 30% of the games with injuries.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
if tanev is getting traded then it most likely means edler goes with him. edler tanev pairing in toronto?

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
Anyone who thinks Nylander is going for Tanev are flat out idiots. Return isn't going to be as great as some Canuck fans think. Why trade for a guy who can't stay healthy for more than 60 games a year? I wouldn't even include Kapanen in a trade for him. Trade him somewhere else.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
why would Toronto need a upgrade on defense? Doesn’t make sense, they have Jake Gardiner.

Forgot to get the Bruins Christmas gifts so he gave them 4 in game 7 of the playoffs.

Get over yourselves with this hate on tanev. He would instantly be your number two behind Reilly.

Is Liljgren an overpayment? Yeah probably.

But saying he’s not worth Kapanen, a guy who can’t even get a foothold in the NHL is stupid.

Most every Canuck fan loves Tanev because we actually watch him play and know his value.

I really hope he goes to Tampa and helps them win a cup and you can have another early playoff exit. There’s just way too much trash postings on this forum.

member 290103

For the Canucks, trading Tanev for what Leaf fans want to offer, makes no sense. The Canucks would be better served holding on to Tanev and using him as a calming influence with the rest of their horrid defence than trading him for a B prospects or middling draft picks.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Pretty fair post. I would be at least mildly uncomfortable, but acceptable with Grundstrom + 1st, if Tanev proved he was healthy this year. Otherwise, I don't see how we could do that. Grundstrom is our 2nd best prospect (I'll consider Johnsson, Kapanen, Dermott as graduated). His productivity has been exemplary if you consider his goal scoring from SHL->AHL, and many are already slotting him as a perfect compliment to Matthews- given his finishing ability, grit/tenacity.

I think 1st + 2nd is fair value for Tanev though. I wouldn't pay it but that's just my personal opinion. I'd leverage those assets for Myers instead, or try to swing a deal for Severson instead (if Gardiner+) can be used as a centerpiece.....make a play for Tavares. That, and continue to re-evaluate the market, as there are some D that hit the market next year as well.

The simple reason being, Tanev's deal only has 2 years left, but more importantly, I'm concerned about his health and longevity- not just moving forward, but actually playing games when it matters. Playoffs are a different animal, and the guy can't stay healthy in the regular season. That's my primary concern. I should add, I'm generally agreeable to these type of moves when they get discussed to this degree (I was definitely in the minority of Leaf fans who thought Schenn/JVR, Andersen->Leafs was a good/acceptable trade). But I'm on the opposite side for this one.

I am pro-Tyler Myers, for a similar package though (1st +)

Whatever happens, we have no control over, so we'll see what happens.

member 290103

Anyone who thinks Nylander is going for Tanev are flat out idiots. Return isn't going to be as great as some Canuck fans think. Why trade for a guy who can't stay healthy for more than 60 games a year? I wouldn't even include Kapanen in a trade for him. Trade him somewhere else.

Why do Leaf fans even want Tanev? I mean, he's made of glass right? He will never be healthy, right? Why trade anything for a player that adds no value to the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad