Rumor: Chris Tanev in play; Leafs interested

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010
I am good with this, would also include Carrick instead of one of the picks if that works better.

I wouldn't be opposed to that either, but I think Van has enough young defenders they don't really need him, and even with Tanev Tor is still generally lacking in RHD depth, so I doubt he's a part of any deal. Certainly wouldn't be a hang up if Van did want him though.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
If we are moving Tanev its for a good young player and picks. Something like Kapanen + 1st + 2nd/3rd + b prospect not just picks. If you want us to take Martin we can do that no problem but then there needs to be a sweetener.

Kapanen
1st
4th + Grundstrom/Rasanen
Martin

for

Tanev
and a throw-away contract
Can add Reid Boucher or someone like that for depth/AHL strength if desired

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
If we are moving Tanev its for a good young player and picks. Something like Kapanen + 1st + 2nd/3rd + b prospect not just picks. If you want us to take Martin we can do that no problem but then there needs to be a sweetener.

Kapanen
1st
4th + Grundstrom/Rasanen
Martin

for

Tanev
and a throw-away contract
Can add Reid Boucher or someone like that for depth/AHL strength if desired

sooo pretty much.... 2 first round picks / one 2nd / one 4th and a cap dump in Martin for Tanev.. That's way to much for Toronto to pay just to get rid of Martin and to have Tanev for 60? games

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Yea, if the Canucks can get another 1st rounder for this draft and double up our 2nd rounders for this draft and next then it’s a decent move to make.... we have to embrace the rebuild and this is how you do it. It’s not as sexy of a trade as a top 15 pick or one really good you g prospect/player, that’s a deal I’d still be trying to make but this Toronto offer that’s being offered here is a fair deal for both sides.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Liligren + Martin + 2018 4th and 2019 3rd for Tanev and a throw-away contract
Absolutely from a Canucks POV- no chance the Leafs do that though- if I am to believe in 20 pages of repetitive bickering.
This is pretty good IMO, Vancouver takes back a bit of salary, gets a ton of picks and Toronto gets their D men.

What do Nucks fans think of this, our 1st this year, 2nd and next year's 2nd+Martin for Tanev?
I'd personally prefer Rasanen in the deal instead of all picks but it's not a deal breaker or anything. I've said it before that I would love the potential to have 2 towers playing on separate lines in the top 4 with Rasanen/Tryamkin paired with Juoelivi/Dobson or Bouchard.

2018 1st + Rasanen/2018 2nd + conditional 2019 2nd (becomes a 3rd if below 70 GP next year)
OR
2018 1st + Rasanen/2018 2nd + Martin +2019 2nd (condition comes off of prior trade by taking on Martin)

Martin would be the Dorsett replacement and worst case we bury him next year. Plus it will be funny to see if Gudbrandson does make him "a dead man" at training camp.

Tanev would be great for the Leafs in terms of shot suppression- having Tanev in the playoffs this year probably would have had them beating Boston. Additionally, this is the best year for the Leafs to make something happen when Matthews and Marner are still on their ELC's. After this year it gets more difficult when those 3 and Nylander will be taking up significant portions of the salary space.

Last edited:
Reactions: iFan

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You haven't actually provided any evidence to support what you're saying. I provided direct evidence of his defensive impact as well as contextual information.

Your argument boils down to some weird appeal to authority that because he doesn't play Ryan Suter - level minutes, that he clearly isn't good.

You clearly aren't as smart as you said either as you've also demonstrated poor reading comprehension. In my previous reply to you, I never mentioned he should be worth a king's ransom. In fact, I explicitly said the price to acquire is debatable. I took umbrage with your completely misinformed evaluation of his defensive quality, not whatever perceived fair price there would be in a potential trade.

If you think my evaluation of Tanev is wrong, please provide evidence. All you've cited is that he doesn't have an extremely high TOI, and even that, you haven't actually provided any numbers for his average TOI or even-strength TOI.

His value is going to tie directly into his return. If he's great, he'll get a big return, of he isn't the return will be weak.

My evidence is my analysis on watching him play hundreds of games. That's all you should need.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Tanev's injuries have been largely overstated but the team's overall inability to stay healthy. Gudbranson since coming to Vancouver 2 season ago has only suited up for 82 games. Brandon Sutter has been in Vancouver for 3 seasons and missed over 60 games due to injuries. I believe there are multiple factors to this. Travel, medical staff, team services, division among other things.

oh and of Gudbranson's 82 games played. He has played most of them injured either with his wrist or the separated shoulder he played 4 months through before getting shut down in March.

So you think injuries are contagious?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
sooo pretty much.... 2 first round picks / one 2nd / one 4th and a cap dump in Martin for Tanev.. That's way to much for Toronto to pay just to get rid of Martin and to have Tanev for 60? games

Make the 2nd a conditional one on Tanev playing at least 70 games. Should be no complaints then. Its not his ability , but his injury that lowers his value right? If he plays at least 70 games he should be easily worth that package.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
On board with this.

2018 1st (Leafs)
2018 2nd (Sharks)
2019 2nd (Leafs)
Martin

So Calgary trades a 1st and 2 2nds for 3 years of Hamonic. You expect the Nucks to get the same for 2 years of Tanev? Good luck with that. A first and a prospect would be very good value if Benning could actually get it. Reminds me of the days of Kadri and Gardner is what it would take to get Lou.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Everyone even Benning knows how desperate the Leafs are after their d destroyed their playoff chances again. That means because there so desperate would be a steep price, probably steeper then for other teams not so desperate

2018 1st, Liljegren, 2019 3rd

Edited cause of the whining

Keep dreaming, not happening!!!

I got my money on Chuck Woods getting this right again, I think he works in the Leafs front office and has gotten a couple of things spot on. Anyone remember the Lebda signing before anyone else!!
So we are looking at Connor Brown and a 3rd for Tanev !!

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
So Calgary trades a 1st and 2 2nds for 3 years of Hamonic. You expect the Nucks to get the same for 2 years of Tanev? Good luck with that. A first and a prospect would be very good value if Benning could actually get it. Reminds me of the days of Kadri and Gardner is what it would take to get Lou.

Tanev is a better defenceman than Hamonic.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Well the usual bantering between two clubs fans with a strong dislike for each other.

So I will cover a middle ground offer

2018 first or Kapanen, or Brown and a 2nd (Not sure why van fans are sour on Brown, I think he would be a solid add on a team with less depth in the top 6)

The 2018 first offer, we will throw in a 2019 2nd if you take back Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
If Liljegren is the piece then Liljegren + Leafs 2nd (52nd) for Tanev and Nucks 2nd (37th).

Plenty of RHD in that spot for the Leafs to soften the lost of Liljegren.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If rumors mean anything, both the Leafs and Bolts are in on Tanev.....that's probably the only way Jimbo gets an acceptable package for Tanev is if there's a bit of a bidding war.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Wait, is this the Olli Maatta trade proposal thread or are you just so threatened by the fact that Tanev's value on HFBoards is hilariously ridiculous and this is your sad attempt at attacking me?

The latter, usually.

If that's the case, then this thread would have been closed a long time ago because apparently if you don't agree with him being worth a 1st ++ or something else idiotically high, you're trolling because discussing valuation is now considering trolling even when you disagree with it.

Why can't you answer my question? It's pretty easy to do. Here, I will ask you again. What, in your opinion is Olli Maatta worth?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
His value is going to tie directly into his return. If he's great, he'll get a big return, of he isn't the return will be weak.

My evidence is my analysis on watching him play hundreds of games. That's all you should need.

Your first statement makes absolutely no sense. Like none. So what you're saying is if someone like McDavid was foolishly traded for a 7th rounder, then obviously he has no value? I mean, that's what the return indicates. This is your logic. It's bad.

Your 2nd statement is equally foolish. I could say the same to you. I've likely watched more of his games, and in addition, actually presented hard evidence to support my opinion.

It's pretty obvious you don't have any credible arguments.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well the usual bantering between two clubs fans with a strong dislike for each other.

So I will cover a middle ground offer

2018 first or Kapanen, or Brown and a 2nd (Not sure why van fans are sour on Brown, I think he would be a solid add on a team with less depth in the top 6)

The 2018 first offer, we will throw in a 2019 2nd if you take back Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson.

2018 1st + Grundstrom would be pretty interesting. I think I'd do it.

Or something like 2018 1st + conditional 2019 pick dependent on games played (something like a 3rd for 40ish, 2nd for 60, 1st for 75+)

weems

Jul 3, 2008
If Liljegren is the piece then Liljegren + Leafs 2nd (52nd) for Tanev and Nucks 2nd (37th).

Plenty of RHD in that spot for the Leafs to soften the lost of Liljegren.

Trading Liljegren (one of the most talented D prospects) for a guy who cant even play a full season would be hilarious and not in a good way.

Vancouver aren't getting a asset of Liljegren's value for Tanev.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
2018 1st + Grundstrom would be pretty interesting. I think I'd do it.

Or something like 2018 1st + conditional 2019 pick dependent on games played (something like a 3rd for 40ish, 2nd for 60, 1st for 75+)
This isn't me saying everyone is not available, but Babcock and others have been very vocal about how much they like Grundstrom....and they like him a lot.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Trading Liljegren (one of the most talented D prospects) for a guy who cant even play a full season would be hilarious and not in a good way.

Vancouver aren't getting a asset of Liljegren's value for Tanev.
I did say If...

I love Liljegren but let's not pretend he set the AHL on fire, he had a really good year for his age.

Merkley/Sandin/Addison + Tanev for Lilly + 52nd, I wouldn't be crying. Rather hold onto Lilly though.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto also works in getting rid of Martins contract as well.

1st, 2x 2nds, martin for Tanev?

Yeah I can eat that. That sounds like a deal contenders make. f*** the 2nds, 1st is late anyways, and we desperately need a solid defensive RD. This also doesn't remove a key RD prospect from our system and allows him to step in when Tanev inevitably gets injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->