Confirmed with Link: Chris Stewart

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Still not a fan of the player, but can't argue with that price or term. Anaheim can cut ties pretty easily if it doesn't work out too which is good.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
:handclap:

Now lets get Silf and Hags signed!

And why not sign Kesler, Lindholm, Despres and Vatanen to extensions while we're at it. :nod:

We're a better team this year guys, and cleared up the cap space to re-sign our core. Good offseason BM. Although not absolutely ideal, I can't complain.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm surprised some people think if the price is right Stewart is a good acquisition. Regardless of price, Bob has once again brought in an under performing player, one with a reputation for being lazy and incredibly inconsistent. Just because he's not overpaid doesn't mean he is the solution to anything. Yeah, I know, he's all we're getting so I'm hoping he does well too. But hope isn't a plan, unless your name is Bob Murray.

Now all we need is for all our young guys to take a step forward next year and for Stewart to be the guy he's never been because he's chasing a ufa contract, and we will be golden. What could possibly go wrong with a plan like that?

Einstein_InsanityDefinition.png

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I think Heatley is the only one of those four you can apply that tag to(Penner being another). Allen wasn't on the decline at all, and for two years was pretty much exactly what he was the ten before that. I thought he played his role well enough, but the game kind of passed him. That leads us to Stoner, who I thought also played his role well, and while being a little overpaid, is still a quality bottom-pairing defenseman.

And then there's Souray, maybe the biggest "what might have been" about this team that no one talks about. If anything they were hoping he'd be healthy, and he wasn't, but even for Souray, there's no way anyone would have even thought of him having a career-ending injury after one season. It was a blessing in disguise, in the sense that it allowed Lindholm the opportunity to emerge, but you can't help but wonder what might've happened if he recovered from the initial injury. I thought he was great in that year here, and he might've been a big help in that LA series last year.
Pretty much on target with all of this. The only thing I'd add to the Allen thing is that Allen is the reason why teams should be leery of on-ice stats as a primary selling point, since his shot blocking was a big reason why he was highly sought after that year.

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast of 'the sky is falling'.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm surprised some people think if the price is right Stewart is a good acquisition. Regardless of price, Bob has once again brought in an under performing player, one with a reputation for being lazy and incredibly inconsistent. Just because he's not overpaid doesn't mean he is the solution to anything. Yeah, I know, he's all we're getting so I'm hoping he does well too. But hope isn't a plan, unless your name is Bob Murray.

Now all we need is for all our young guys to take a step forward next year and for Stewart to be the guy he's never been because he's chasing a ufa contract, and we will be golden. What could possibly go wrong with a plan like that?

I definitely think he was the solution to something, or at least could be. Rakell and Sekac showed tremendous skill and chemistry, but they lack a major component. Neither is much of a scorer and neither is all that physical. Palmieri never fit with Rakell or in that spot, and Etem kind of did but definitely never brought a scoring touch. Stewart certainly brings both of those elements. That spot was a major need, moreso right now than first line left wing IMO, so how is it not a plan?

I really don't think they're expecting Stewart to be a 60 point player, they're expecting him to be a 15-20 goal scorer from a depth line, and anything else is extra.

Oct 18, 2011

a 30-40 point power forward has value when his price is 1.7 million

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The point isn't whether he is worth his contract, the point is whether he is what we need or not. He isn't what we need (top 6 W), but since we aren't getting what we need, somebody still has to fill a roster spot so, it's him.

Once we knew Bels was leaving, how many people would have been happy to hear Bob tell us he was going to replace Beleskey with a $1.75M replacement? I'd venture to say nobody. But today, it's a great move? I don't understand that.

I do understand that facing the inevitable we can all try and figure out where he could be the most helpful, but that's not the same as being happy he's the big off season acquisition at forward.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Well, what other option we had? Glencross? He`s not the same player as he used to be, i believe, Capitals fans were dissapointed in his play near and in the postseason. Trade for Sharp? No, because he is signed for a lot for 2 seasons and it doesn`t go well with our next postseason.

Beleskey`s replacement production wise was Hagelin, not Stewart. I also would like to get a player with clear better character than Stewart (who doesn`t seem to do well in the postseason) but oh well, we got him for relatively cheap. At the end of the day he is still a player that can play well in the NHL so let`s have a look at him. Like Heatley and Penner - he will be gone by the deadline if his play is not good enough.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Great deal
Imo he replaces Beleskey on the second line and Hagelin will be on the 3rd line
Great off season so far. Stewart vs Lucic fights will definitely happen

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this. I'm a big Palmieri fan but I'm also all for getting tougher. The fact that Stewart can score just as much if not more than Palmieri is really just icing on the cake for me.

Good signing. Him and Hagelin is an upgrade over Beleskey and Palmieri in my opinion.

Maroon-Getzlaf-Perry
Hagelin-Kesler-Silfverberg
Cogliano-Rakell-Stewart
Sekac-Thompson-Horcoff/Jackman/McGrattan(when opposing team dresses a heavyweight enforcer)

We now have at least one physical player on each line:handclap:

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I'd love the signing, he'd bring toughness and a big body presence upfront; his ceiling is pretty high too, unlike Penner or Heatley (ugh!).

Now that I'm checking around, rumor is he signed for 1,7 million. That would be a low risk-high reward signing if true :handclap:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The point isn't whether he is worth his contract, the point is whether he is what we need or not. He isn't what we need (top 6 W), but since we aren't getting what we need, somebody still has to fill a roster spot so, it's him.

Once we knew Bels was leaving, how many people would have been happy to hear Bob tell us he was going to replace Beleskey with a $1.75M replacement? I'd venture to say nobody. But today, it's a great move? I don't understand that.

I do understand that facing the inevitable we can all try and figure out where he could be the most helpful, but that's not the same as being happy he's the big off season acquisition at forward.
Oh, stop. This is not about facing the inevitable. Stewart is a good add as a depth player. We pried open a hole at RW when we traded Palmieri, and Stewart is absolutely a better fit for the role that Kyle found himself in. Stewart isn't a reclamation project. No one is expecting him to be anything but depth scoring, which was needed.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

So you're saying we don't have a need for a #3 RW? Because it certainly seems that way.

And also, who exactly do you think is available as a "top 6 W" right now? Semin might be the only potential answer but we really don't need him and I'm sure the price will be even higher than Stewart's. There really isn't a viable option on the trade route either, we can want JvR or Skinner or someone else all we want but if they aren't available then it's moot.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Everything Is Fine. Murray opened three holes and then he closed them, for cheap! If it wasn't cheap, how else could we afford Tagging Room when he's ready for the big time next season?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Oh, stop. This is not about facing the inevitable. Stewart is a good add as a depth player. We pried open a hole at RW when we traded Palmieri, and Stewart is absolutely a better fit for the role that Kyle found himself in. Stewart isn't a reclamation project. No one is expecting him to be anything but depth scoring, which was needed.

But we have a bigger need in the top 6. And I assure you there are people here who will be surprised and disappointed when Stewart doesn't fill that top 6 role with his "high ceiling" and that desire for a big ufa contrct.

He's 27 years old and joining his 5th team. He has a poor track record of fitting in anywhere. Nobody seems sorry to let him go. It's not just about the points he can score in a depth role.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas

By that reasoning, I assume you think Dallas shouldn't have traded for Sharp? There's few teams that couldn't benefit from Stewart's services for under $2 million a year.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Everything Is Fine. Murray opened three holes and then he closed them, for cheap! If it wasn't cheap, how else could we afford Tagging Room when he's ready for the big time next season?

Yeah, I should know better than to have an opinion that hasn't been vetted first.

Ever since we got Kesler we have needed one more legit top 6 W. Since then Bob has juggled all kinds of projects and youngsters but has yet to step up and address the actual need for a proven guy. At the end of the day we end up with marginal guys who can move up or down the lineup but aren't viewed as legit top 6. One minute he says we have tagging room problems. The next minute he says we have the money to acquire what we need, the next minute he wants to give young guys an opportunity. I'm not sure he knows what the hell he wants.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
By that reasoning, I assume you think Dallas shouldn't have traded for Sharp? There's few teams that couldn't benefit from Stewart's services for under $2 million a year.

I don't follow your reasoning. I'm sure Dallas feels Sharp is what they needed. They certainly didn't acquire him because he was cheap.

My point was and is, go acquire what you need, not something you found on the sale rack as you went to make your original purchase.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'm very disappointed that we aren't adding (seems that way) a legit scorer as well, but at this price it shouldn't hinder that too much.

I feel like Murray is going to wait until midseason to add that scorer so that he can see if the kids step up and to also limit the financial cost. It sucks, feels incredibly conservative, and could backfire.

Stewart is still a nice buy low regardless. I don't expect him to be what he should be, but I'd be very happy with 15 goals and 35 points, which is essentially what beleskey is.

If we are being honest with ourselves, it isn't a reach to say that Stewart replaces beleskey pretty handily. The issue is that beleskey probably wasn't enough anyway.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I don't follow your reasoning. I'm sure Dallas feels Sharp is what they needed. They certainly didn't acquire him because he was cheap.

My point was and is, go acquire what you need, not something you found on the sale rack as you went to make your original purchase.

You think Dallas, the team with the best offense last year, needed to acquire Sharp? No, GM Nill did it because the reward far outweighed the price. Same goes for GMBM signing Stewart. He'll likely be a fixture on our 3rd line, put up more than 30 points, and all for the small price of a one-year, $2 million contract.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't see Stewart replacing Beleskey at all. He doesn't have remotely the same type of shot, and doesn't provide remotely the level of physicality and hitting that Beleskey did. I also don't think that a 15 goal guy replaces a 22 goal guy, unless you're also willing to say that an 8 goal guy rep,aces a 15 goal guy. (It's irrelevant what people think Beleskey will do this year, that's what he DID last year). I really think people are understating Beleskey's physical impact and grossly overestimating what Stratton brings in that department on a game to game basis.

The whole "he out scores Beleskey" thing is also misleading (assuming he's the third line guy), unless you're convinced he will be racking up assists on the PP or convinced that Rakell and/or Sekac will develop shots. You can't give out three assists and score, someone has to be able to actually get it past the goalie to get an assist.

He's not a bad pickup, but he's hardly the missing piece.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
You think Dallas, the team with the best offense last year, needed to acquire Sharp? No, GM Nill did it because the reward far outweighed the price. Same goes for GMBM signing Stewart. He'll likely be a fixture on our 3rd line, put up more than 30 points, and all for the small price of a one-year, $2 million contract.

With who they shipped out for him, it's also addition by subtraction though. That trade is a head scratcher.

Plus, its a faster fix for them to try to out score everyone than to fix that D.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
But we have a bigger need in the top 6. And I assure you there are people here who will be surprised and disappointed when Stewart doesn't fill that top 6 role with his "high ceiling" and that desire for a big ufa contrct.

He's 27 years old and joining his 5th team. He has a poor track record of fitting in anywhere. Nobody seems sorry to let him go. It's not just about the points he can score in a depth role.
That is an entirely separate argument, one that you're dragging into this thread for no particularly good reason. Yes, we needed a bottom six winger. Even if we had traded for Ovechkin, today, it would still make sense to grab a guy like Stewart to fill out the other hole that was in the lineup. Your particular argument in this case is unjustified.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Stewart is an upgrade over Etem, and while Palmieri is more skilled than Stewart, he was not as well suited to the role being given to him as Stewart is. Stewart adds some physical dimension that the team lost with Beleskey leaving. He doesn't have to fill the same roster spot to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad