Confirmed with Link: Chris Stewart

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Would not be surprised at all to see Perry - Getzlaf - Stewart at some point. Perry can definitely handle the left side.

No he can't. Perry has never been comfortable on the left side. That's why Teemu never clicked on the top line. I expect we'll see Stewart bounce between the second and third line right wing spot. This will allow Sekac to play the left side though I think he'll bounce from the third to the fourth which could be counterproductive. We're going to have a surplus of lefty wingers once Thompson is healthy unless Rakell moves to the wing and Horcoff stays in the middle.

Being that this is a one-year deal I'm okay with it. I think Murray's talk about youngsters being ready was a bunch of nonsense unless someone's on their way out. This is very Penner/Heatley-esque which leaves me feeling ambivalent. I was entirely unhappy about Penner but he proved to be productive until his lifestyle started getting in the way. I was hopeful about Heatley but he proved to be completely out of gas. At least Stewart is still in his twenties and productive. I'm a little weary that his commitment level won't be particularly high considering this is a one-year only thing. Oh well, we'll see.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Not a bad fight maybe they'll build a lil rivalry...

Ive always liked the potential stewart has, so maybe hell find his game under BB/in anahiem.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
We don't need and shouldn't expect Stewart to become the player everyone wanted him to be, we need him to be a 15-20 goal and ~40 point winger who is physical and somewhat mean. That's all we need from him for this to be a successful signing.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Just from watching his goal highlights he seems to score most goals from in the crease. He also had three-four pretty lucky bounces off of players that went right into the net. He seems to have nice hands around there.

Oct 18, 2011
2 million is a bargain, once you accept him for what he is, and not expect a 1st line player. i bet he outscores beleskey next year, also he's only 27, 30-40 points moving around the lineup is valuable

not sure if he will be comfortable playing the left side, but it was probably discussed, because inevitably he will play on the top line at some point

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I wonder if they will put performance bonuses in as a carrot for him to chase.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
2 million is a bargain, once you accept him for what he is, and not expect a 1st line player. i bet he outscores beleskey next year, also he's only 27, 30-40 points moving around the lineup is valuable

not sure if he will be comfortable playing the left side, but it was probably discussed, because inevitably he will play on the top line at some point

Stewart has outscored Beleskey every year since Beleskey came to NHL. Id imagine itll continue

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
This is a very underrated move that I love. If he sucks we can easily move him or just scratch him. Doesn't affect the RFA next season too.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Looks like we have Palmieri's replacement. I'm not Stewart's biggest fan, but I'd still rate him above a lot of the spare parts out there(on the market and with the Ducks in prior years). He's also falls squarely into the price range that we can afford.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014

Wow that's a pretty great price, especially if it's on the low end. He'll always be a frustrating player, but for so little money, it'll be quite tolerable.

I approve of this signing. Out of all of Murray's annual reclamation projects, this one has the best chance of sticking IMO.

Maroon - Getzy - Perry
Hags - Kesler - Silfver
Cogs - Horcoff - Wags/TJack
Sekac - Rakell - Stewart

(I know people get miffed over the "3rd line" - "4th line" distinction, but realistically both will get similar minutes, and Rakell's will get more sheltered, offensive minutes which suits Stewart as well.)

jax00

DangleSnipe&Celly
Mar 3, 2007
Anaslime
Dirk right now:

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Maybe I'm a pessimist but based on our last couple of season signings I'm assuming failure until proven otherwise.

Heatley, Sourray, Allen, Stoner... they were guys on the decline who were signed in hopes of a career turn around. In the case of Stoner, he had a brief time of playing adequate and was signed hoping that upward trend would continue.

Stewart can put in 15-20+ goals on some crappyears teams and has scored consistently.

He is signed for cheap, some physicality to his game which our outgoing wingers didn't have...

The guy at his current production pace would be a deal and a physical upgrade over our outgoing wingers.

And it's much more likely that BB's system sees Stewart increase his scoring like... like it does for many the players. Maybe a 2nd PP guy even.

But in the end, none of the players signed recently are 8 Stewart's ppsition. Oh.. And all those guys got pretty big multi year deals..

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Heatley, Sourray, Allen, Stoner... they were guys on the decline who were signed in hopes of a career turn around. In the case of Stoner, he had a brief time of playing adequate and was signed hoping that upward trend would continue.

I think Heatley is the only one of those four you can apply that tag to(Penner being another). Allen wasn't on the decline at all, and for two years was pretty much exactly what he was the ten before that. I thought he played his role well enough, but the game kind of passed him. That leads us to Stoner, who I thought also played his role well, and while being a little overpaid, is still a quality bottom-pairing defenseman.

And then there's Souray, maybe the biggest "what might have been" about this team that no one talks about. If anything they were hoping he'd be healthy, and he wasn't, but even for Souray, there's no way anyone would have even thought of him having a career-ending injury after one season. It was a blessing in disguise, in the sense that it allowed Lindholm the opportunity to emerge, but you can't help but wonder what might've happened if he recovered from the initial injury. I thought he was great in that year here, and he might've been a big help in that LA series last year.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Great deal
Imo he replaces Beleskey on the second line and Hagelin will be on the 3rd line
Great off season so far. Stewart vs Lucic fights will definitely happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad