Injury Report: Chris Pronger (Hired to work for NHL Player Safety, Oct. 9, 2014)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
On Hot Stove they said Pronger only lasted 2 periods at the game and he isn't doing well but doesn't want to retire yet.

That's why you can't dream to much when it comes to concussions. He showed up at a game and people started to feel like "well...maybe he can come back at the start of the season!" Have to wait them out.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
That's why you can't dream to much when it comes to concussions. He showed up at a game and people started to feel like "well...maybe he can come back at the start of the season!" Have to wait them out.

Even if a player comes back, 3 months later they might be out again. James Reimer is having symptoms again and he came back in January from his concussion

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
If the Flyers were to win the Cup I would love nothing more than for Bettman to say Chris Pronger come get the Stanley Cup. Prongs skates out with his jersey on lifts the cup and hands it to Kimmo.

One can dream.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
If the Flyers were to win the Cup I would love nothing more than for Bettman to say Chris Pronger come get the Stanley Cup. Prongs skates out with his jersey on lifts the cup and hands it to Kimmo.

One can dream.

That would be awesome. I assume the other players would be on board but it certainly would be odd.

Brostradamus

LegionOfDoom Reunion
Feb 2, 2012
Dub C
Bettman telling any Flyer to come get the Stanley Cup would be almost as uncomfortable for him as it was for Colin Campbell to watch Clarke and the boys carry the cup.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Just talked to my uncle who lives up in the Adirondacks near where the Phantoms play. Said he saw Pronger hanging out at a local brew pub over the weekend. He had a beer with him and Pronger told him he has a "long, long recovery" ahead of him.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Just talked to my uncle who lives up in the Adirondacks near where the Phantoms play. Said he saw Pronger hanging out at a local brew pub over the weekend. He had a beer with him and Pronger told him he has a "long, long recovery" ahead of him.

Sad to hear that

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

At least he was out :dunno:

Hard to put stock in these stories, but I hope he gets back. If he doesn't improve we are stuck in a incredibly difficult situation with the salary cap and his contract

Juicy Couturier*

In the event the Flyers win the cup, who lifts it first? Giroux? Kimmo? Briere?

It usually goes by seniority, time with the team, or whether or not they have won the cup before.

I think it would go Kimmo, Briere, Bryz, Jagr, Giroux, Hartnell, Coburn, Carle then it might get random.

Juicy Couturier*

Let's just pray that they new CBA rewords the +35 contracts so that if players retire due to injury that the cap hit is removed. I'm sure the NHL doesn't feel that it's ideal for the league to have players to sit on LTIR for years, especially star players like Pronger. It would be weird to look back and see that Pronger didn't get into the HoF for 10+ years after his last game was played. The same thing could happen to other players too and I'm sure the NHL doesnt like that thought.

member 51464

Then he lifts Bettman and hands him to Holmgren.
:laugh:
Has any team ever won a Cup without a guy wearing the C?

Bruins did back in the day, can't remember the year.

Just a Pens fan coming by to check on his status. Pronger was always one of those guys I loved to cheer against. His attitude and demeanor were great for the game. It isn't really the same without him on the ice and I hope that, if nothing else, he recovers to the point that he can have a normal, happy, healthy life!

ranto

Apr 5, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
:laugh:

Bruins did back in the day, can't remember the year.

Just a Pens fan coming by to check on his status. Pronger was always one of those guys I loved to cheer against. His attitude and demeanor were great for the game. It isn't really the same without him on the ice and I hope that, if nothing else, he recovers to the point that he can have a normal, happy, healthy life!

I found this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=483801

The Bruins did it twice without a C in '69-'70 and again in '71-72.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Not much news, but interesting article from Bruce Arthur at the national post.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012...hockey/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

PITTSBURGH — It was cold that day in Winnipeg, really cold, and the Philadelphia Flyers didn’t have many places to go, so if you were in the same hotel you saw them everywhere. The mall beneath the Fairmont hotel, at Portage and Main; the Earl’s down the street, where a group of them lined the bar for dinner, eating with their backs to the crowd. And the most recognizable one was Chris Pronger, wearing a tan overcoat, tall and lean, his back unnaturally straight, his blond hair slicked back. He seemed to be leading the pack.

That was the last time, though. Pronger played an afternoon game in Winnipeg on Nov. 19 and has not played since. His concussion was deemed so severe that the club ruled the future Hall of Fame defenceman out for the season in December. So as the Flyers entered Game 5 of their playoff series with the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday night — a series where defensive play had been aspirational, and not much else — Chris Pronger wasn’t even an apparition floating over the proceedings. His symptoms, when they are reported, sound slow to improve.

“I can say that he’s probably had some good days, where three or four months ago he wasn’t having very many good days,” says Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren, who talks to Pronger once or twice a week. “We want to see Chris recover because he has two young sons and a young daughter and a beautiful wife, and those are the most important things in his life. And if he plays again for us, then good.”

Last edited by a moderator:

flyersjamminontheone

In Claude we trust
Sep 17, 2007
Brandon, Friendly MB
A friend of mine golfed with Prongers brother in law in Phoenix, my buddy asked him (after some small talk) if pronger is a good golfer, he replied "yeah when he only sees one fairway". For his health alone, I hope the big guy can heal up and enjoy life after hockey.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Pens fan in peace.

I was actually going to ask someone how Pronger was doing, thankfully I found this.

I really hate to see someone go through this, I really do. Me personally, I've been dealing with PCS for 13+ months now and it's hell, it really is. So I can understand what he's going through. I was just cleared for light exercises and I have a hard time doing them. I was told that I'm most likely going to deal with a headache 24/7 for a couple years before it goes away. I really hope he makes a strong recovery and is able to have a enjoyable life outside of hockey. :)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I really dont have much hope in Pronger coming back. If he does great. If not I hope the guy can lead a normal life with his family.
I would like to seem him come back just so he can go out on his own terms. Nobody should have to go out like Pronger may have to. Primeau and Lappy before him. It really sucks.
Not sure if Pronger has had any conversations with Primeau or Lappy about what hes going thru. It has to be frustrating as hell.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Pens fan in peace.

I was actually going to ask someone how Pronger was doing, thankfully I found this.

I really hate to see someone go through this, I really do. Me personally, I've been dealing with PCS for 13+ months now and it's hell, it really is. So I can understand what he's going through. I was just cleared for light exercises and I have a hard time doing them. I was told that I'm most likely going to deal with a headache 24/7 for a couple years before it goes away. I really hope he makes a strong recovery and is able to have a enjoyable life outside of hockey. :)

hope you get better with your recovery, and as far as Pronger goes. He should just retire, he has a lot of his life to live and he is already an all time great player with nothing else to prove.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Personally I dont see Pronger coming back. I know from all reports he wants to play but he is still pretty young in life and he has a bunch of young kids. He is probably a top 15 defenseman of all time and at his peak was one of the most game changing players ever. He has nothing else to prove, and I wish him a healthy recovery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad