Injury Report: Chris Pronger (Hired to work for NHL Player Safety, Oct. 9, 2014)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Three years ago he couldn't even skate with his kids, so this seems like great news in terms of his recovery.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...r-philadelphia-eye-injury-concussion/2808751/

8:27 a.m. EDT September 13, 2013

PHILADELPHIA — It was only a couple weeks ago that injured defenseman Chris Pronger was last on the ice.

He wasn't playing. He was just skating with his two sons and his daughter. For a guy who's a sure-fire Hall of Famer, it didn't go well.

"Moving in a straight line slowly was OK," Pronger said. "You start turning and spinning and things like that and you get lightheaded and dizzy and you start having some of those symptoms and you get brought back down to the real world, real quick."

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I see this as a fantastic step forward for Pronger who IIRC found many 'normal' life actvities to be difficult and apparently annoying -- offhand I have nothing to cite on this... just my memory -- Unless I'm getting this confused with Primeau... which is totally possible... I seem to remember that light and noise were a concern to... and strenuous activity was not a good idea.

If Chris can lace them up and skate in even a no-hit, laid back game, it has to mean that he has come a long way... and possibly a sign that he may be able to get back to living a 'normal' life with little Post-Concussion Symptoms interference (???).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He's not on LTIR, just IR. He can play in a no hitting Alumni game, he can't play in the NHL.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

Even being on a roster and receiving money from a different NHL team?

TBH, I seriously doubt anybody would be petty enough to call them out on this by making a complaint to the NHL and/or NHLPA... in an Exhibition Game circumstance...

...And if it were to happen, who is to say that he couldn't be loaned for a conditioning stint? ;)

Also we must keep in mind that EVERYBODY... the NHL, the Organizations, the NHLPA... everybody... knew that Pronger was hurt in a Career ending manner and was not going to Retire -- for a myriad of reasons -- and he was allowed to be on LTIR for the Flyers... and, while Officially on an NHL Roster, to become an NHL Employee... and also was allowed to be inducted in the HHoF without being Officially Retired... Playing in an Exhibition Game for the Fans and former employer IMO carries a much less forgiveness by all involved than has been give to Pronger over the past few Seasons, I would certainly think.

JMO

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad