Confirmed with Link: Chris Phillips: 2 years, $5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Perhaps we should go over your achievements and see why we should believe you know best? Played house league 15 years ago and avid watcher of east coast games so long as they don't conflict with your personal life probably isn't sufficient.

It's funny because the parity in this league is such that the difference in a bad season and a good season is razor thin, one mistake and the puck can end up in the back of your net. Nobody is saying Phillips belongs in the top 4, everyone agrees his best days are past. It seems pretty clear management want's him in the bottom pair role, but to do that, Cowen or Wiercioch need to step up, along with Ceci.

In an ideal world, Phillips gets pushed out of the lineup, but until 2 of Boro, Wiercioch and Cowen show that they can perform better, that's not happening, and to date none have shown they are capable.

I think it's better, in a rebuild, to let your younger players play and learn. Playing old ageing veterans Pejorative Slurs the progress of the younger players.

I'll say one thing for Milbury; the dude is entertaining. Winning, losing, doing commentary....never a dull moment with that guy. I love having guys like that in the league just for the show.

THAT he is!

If the sens were winning cups, I'd agree they're above criticism. But when they're not making the playoffs while not rebuilding either, their moves are open to criticism.

I laugh when people disagree with an opinion/agree with management they say "well management knows best so end of discussion" .it really is a lazy cop out of an argument.

We see management from different teams from different leagues all around make the dumbest moves that fans without hindsight could have told you were stupid. And when our management has done diddly squat to make us successful you blindly side with them? Nice. I wish I could blindly agree with people, but I don't have it in me. I must form my own opinions.

I agree with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'll say one thing for Milbury; the dude is entertaining. Winning, losing, doing commentary....never a dull moment with that guy. I love having guys like that in the league just for the show.

Couldn't agree more. Same reason I was very sad when Rob Ford took himself out of the Toronto mayoral race.

Maybe he'll run in Ottawa when he's better.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Isn't sufficient for what? To call a bad franchise bad? To say "hey that is a stupid decision they are making" and when consecutive decisions backfire question the direction of the organization and the people in it. I'm not saying I can run the organization or everyone is a moron. Or anything disrespectful like that.

I respect all the posters on here, but all I'm saying is, to not question what is currently going on with the results seen recently is sheep mentality. Its been 3-4 years since they "blew up" the team and started a whatever they called it. I think its fair to say, I expect a good showing in the playoffs, good coaching and some sort of identity this year.

I'm honestly questioning what fans expect in terms of team performance after deciding to rebuild. Should we be making it a round deeper each year?

As a franchise, we've shown progression every year except the last one since they "blew it up". We made the playoffs and took the rangers to 7 games. We made the playoffs, and took it to the 2nd round the next year despite tons of injuries. This year, we took a step back barely missing the playoffs when the captain jumped ship, and our #1 center was terrible because of a lingering back issue (not to mention all of Karlsson's issues).

We had a bad season, true, but it seems to have push posters from making rational criticisms to hyperbole. Questioning re-signing Phillips is fine. He's an older player who is regressing, and while we don't have a lot of great options on D, I can understand wanting to give the kids a chance to learn on the job. Calling him the worst in the league, is hyperbole; if that were the case, why was Boston interested at the deadline (since you don't put value in a poor team like the sens evaluation of him)?

Defensive D are the first to look bad when a team does poorly, and with Phillips playing in a role beyond where he should be at this stage, it was exacerbated. He should be playing a similar role to what Richardson and Smith did in their final years, but we didn't have that luxury.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I was referring to management and the state of the team. I should've been clearer.

As for Phillips, you're assessment is not off base. I think most people would agree, even his staunchest defenders on here, that he's probably better suited for a third pairing role at this point. Yet, if none of the kids can step up and displace him, we're up the creek. The eye test is not too kind to the youngins either.

His contract is not out of line for a legacy player on his last legs. "Doesn't belong in the NHL" is where people can part ways. I just don't believe that's accurate. To my recollection, he had stretches of good play as well as bad and sometimes an otherwise good performance was overshadowed by one boneheaded play. If we can correct the flaws that were in our system last year, I still think he can thrive. Just how I see it.

THis is a great post, exactly how I look at Phillips. He's the kinda guy that slips under the radar when he's playing well as he doesn't do anything spectacular. H e can play that way an entire game, then make one mistake and people go nuts about it, remembering nothing else.

Oh well, it is what it is. People are going to be slamming Phillips, Neil and Anderson all season long. Probably Cowen too if he doesn't have a monster year. Maybe even Michalek. At least we won't have to listen to the same old whining about Spezza now.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
I'm honestly questioning what fans expect in terms of team performance after deciding to rebuild. Should we be making it a round deeper each year?

As a franchise, we've shown progression every year except the last one since they "blew it up". We made the playoffs and took the rangers to 7 games. We made the playoffs, and took it to the 2nd round the next year despite tons of injuries. This year, we took a step back barely missing the playoffs when the captain jumped ship, and our #1 center was terrible because of a lingering back issue (not to mention all of Karlsson's issues).

We had a bad season, true, but it seems to have push posters from making rational criticisms to hyperbole. Questioning re-signing Phillips is fine. He's an older player who is regressing, and while we don't have a lot of great options on D, I can understand wanting to give the kids a chance to learn on the job. Calling him the worst in the league, is hyperbole; if that were the case, why was Boston interested at the deadline (since you don't put value in a poor team like the sens evaluation of him)?

Defensive D are the first to look bad when a team does poorly, and with Phillips playing in a role beyond where he should be at this stage, it was exacerbated. He should be playing a similar role to what Richardson and Smith did in their final years, but we didn't have that luxury.

I have no problem with people saying he is bad, I agree saying he is the worst is a stretch but he is down there. Honestly just the situation of if someone outplays him which isn't that far from reality irks me.

Also boston traded for daugavins and he is out of the league. Just because boston or any good team was/is interested doesn't really mean he is a good player (?), maybe he could have fit into their system as a #6 or #7. Thats what I think.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I believe the multi button is the 7th wonder of HF, can you name the rest?

Oh no, I'm drawing a blank. Let's see here...

1. Quoting the person you're addressing;

2. Linking articles and threads in a visually appealing manner without having to display the actual web address;

3. Embedding pictures and gifs;

4. Embedding NHL videos and youtubes;

4. Making organized lists in vbcode;

5. Making tables in vbcode;

6. Figuring out what the heck the "wrap code" and PHP buttons are for;

7. Using the multiquote button.

I tried anyway. Incidentally, I suck at capitalizing on virtually all of these. ;)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have no problem with people saying he is bad, I agree saying he is the worst is a stretch but he is down there. Honestly just the situation of if someone outplays him which isn't that far from reality irks me.

Also boston traded for daugavins and he is out of the league. Just because boston or any good team was/is interested doesn't really mean he is a good player (?), maybe he could have fit into their system as a #6 or #7. Thats what I think.

Daug was picked up off waivers, not traded for, it was a zero risk move to fill in for injuries. Assets would have been used for Phillips. IMO he undoubtedly would have gotten another contract had we not signed him.

I don't disagree that there may have been better on ice options, but the criticisms of him as a player are over the top, which I guess is what bugs me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oh no, I'm drawing a blank. Let's see here...

[FIELDSET="The 7even wonders of HF"]1. Quoting the person you're addressing;

2. Linking articles and threads in a visually appealing manner without having to display the actual web address;

3. Embedding pictures and gifs;

4. Embedding NHL videos and youtubes;

4. Making organized lists in vbcode;

5. Making tables in vbcode;

6. Figuring out what the heck the "wrap code" and PHP buttons are for;

7. Using the multiquote button.[/FIELDSET]

I tried anyway. Incidentally, I suck at capitalizing on virtually all of these. ;)

hmm. I think I have a different idea of what VBcode is. To me, making tables on the forum is much more akin to html code than VBcode.

Otherwise, great list, however to make it stand out more you should have surrounded it with fieldset tags. I've added them to the quote.

Personally, I like the eight wonder of HF, scrolling text

Last edited:

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Daug was picked up off waivers, not traded for, it was a zero risk move to fill in for injuries. Assets would have been used for Phillips. IMO he undoubtedly would have gotten another contract had we not signed him.

I don't disagree that there may have been better on ice options, but the criticisms of him as a player are over the top, which I guess is what bugs me.

I stand corrected.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have noticed that several posters who don't like Phillips have gotten quite defensive, and rushed to the conclusion that I and others must be blindly trusting management.

Being defensive often blinds people to the actual point of discussion.

What I was suggesting was not for people to cease to have opinions, or to stop sharing them, but rather to have a look at WHY there is a difference between what they think, and what has actually played out in real life.

The reality is that several posters go on and on about how absolutely terrible Phillips is, and yet management just re-upped, and his team mates are super happy to have him back. These are two very different viewpoints, and my question was whether people had stopped to consider why that is.

Is management inept, are team mates valuing friendship over winning more games? OR IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON THAT WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT. IS THERE SOME VALUE THAT THEY SEE THAT WE DON'T.

As usual though, instead of considering why the opinions are so divergent, many Phillips detractors prefer to fall back on the idea that I can't think for myself and take everything management does as gospel. I actually wanted to read what folks had to say about the topic, not become a lightening rod for baseless criticism.

While we are on the topic, I think some of you think much to highly about your hockey opinions vs those of whom are paid professionals. That is not to say that they are infallible, or that you are always wrong, or not entitled to have a differing opinion, but I feel like it should give you healthy pause, when your opinions seem to fly directly in the face of what is either unfolding before your eyes, or the position that team management and players are taking.

In reality it might just the way this fanbase, and maybe all fanbases are. There is always a scapegoat who is 'garbage' and who 'we would be much better without' regardless of what is actually happening on the ice, or in the dressing room. It would seem that, as mentioned earlier, Phillips is up now.

I trust management in a lot of ways because I like the way the team has been run, the direction we're headed, and how we're heading there. Perhaps the distrust comes from fans who feel that we're not a well run franchise in general.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
They feel differently because he's a good guy and they know him personally so it clouds their judgment. They see him as their buddy Chris that they've known for years and know his family.

We see him as #4. An asset/liability.

I don't get my judgment clouded by the fact Chris and his family hosted and planned a surprise party for my kid or something.

That's my 2 cents and seems like a reasonable and obvious factor.

Its easy for us to let him go based on his on ice play.

Its harder for them to let go of their good friend.

I have a feeling that if half way through the contract, Phillips retires, management will have a sigh of relief.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I tried it before but I still don't know how to use it when there are multiple comments that I want to respond to. Any instructions available?

If you're going down a page and want to quote 3 posts you click multi on the first(it will change color to show its selected), press multi on the second, and press quote on the third.

Multi keeps you on the page, quote changes you to the post screen.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They feel differently because he's a good guy and they know him personally so it clouds their judgment. They see him as their buddy Chris that they've known for years and know his family.

I don't get my judgment clouded by the fact Chris and his family hosted and planned a surprise party for my kid or something.

I have a feeling that if half way through the contract, Phillips retires, management will have a sigh of relief.

Perhaps this plays a part for the players, but I don't by it as a reason McLean plays Phillips, or why Murray re-upped his contract.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

These are fair points, but how does that explain McLean playing him over other players on the team (who he would see in the same light I'd assume), or why Boston and probably other teams were interested at the deadline?

It's worth noting that the management is in the business of making those tough decisions to move away from guys they consider friends, and have done so in the past (Fisher and Kelly to name a few). They are obviously going to be potentially clouded by the factors you mention, however, there are certainly biases that could be clouding your judgement as well (for example, friends opinions, posters on this board ect) not to mention a wealth of information that they would be privy to that you are not.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If you're going down a page and want to quote 3 posts you click multi on the first(it will change color to show its selected), press multi on the second, and press quote on the third.

Multi keeps you on the page, quote changes you to the post screen.

Thanks jbeck. I will try that in future.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Didn't the sun report that Boston was interested in him? Can we really take that as a fact in an argument?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Didn't the sun report that Boston was interested in him? Can we really take that as a fact in an argument?

Interesting....

So we're supposed to take you theory about friendship clouding judgment as a potential 'fact' in play here, but ignore something written in the newspaper?

The sun might be a rag, it's true, but it still has more clout than you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad