Confirmed with Link: Chris Phillips: 2 years, $5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Management should be damned, of the 3 players that would be let go in this scenario the only one that everyone would be happy about is the one currently still on the team. NO ONE wants this bag of garbage on the team and for some reason we didn't shell out coin for the 2 players that should have stayed.

The other two didn't want to stay, which kinda puts a kink in your rant.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Management was damned no matter what they did. Let a 3rd long-time Sen walk in less than 3 years, or sign a guy who is more of a 7th D fill-in than a legit starter.

Though, to be honest, I'm not impressed with any of our Bingo defensemen, either. We can see flashes of something with Weir, Boro & company, but not really enough to convince me that any of them will really be legit full-time NHLers in the near future.

I'm of the same opinion. Other than Claesson, there is no defenceman on Bingo that seems to have the skill level to play in the NHL, and I am not confident that Claesson does either. Of the 8 defenceman currently considered to be on the roster, only Karlsson, and Methot appearsto me to be Top 4 defenceman. Ceci, Cowen and Wiercioch appear to have the potential to play on the second pairing, and I hope they achieve it this coming season. Gryba, Borowiecki and Phillips appear to be third pairing defencemen at best at this time.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree as to why they did it but I don't get it after giving Boro the one way. It doesn't make sense to me.

If I recall correctly, Phillips was signed for two more years before Borowiecki was signed to his contract. I did not like the Phillips signing, given the deterioration in his play and the availability of younger players like Cowen, Ceci and Wiercioch who deserve more opportunities to play, plus the Budget limitations" that Melnyk imposes on the team, which could prevent signing of more skillful players including Methot and the other pending UFAs.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
It seemed like every game after the contract was announced, he played worse and worse.

Ok, I want Phillips off this team more then anyone, but I have to admit thats not the case, since it is impossible for Phillips to play any worse then he is.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Phillips is our only defenceman that actually has some playoff experience with 114 games

The rest:

Karlsson - 23
Methot - 14
Gryba - 4
Wiercioch - 1

Experience and leadership is why he is sticking around.
Plus who else would high five at the end of a win?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Phillips is our only defenceman that actually has some playoff experience with 114 games

The rest:

Karlsson - 23
Methot - 14
Gryba - 4
Wiercioch - 1

Experience and leadership is why he is sticking around.
Plus who else would high five at the end of a win?

I wonder what the disconnect is between the value that the team, and management sees, and what some fans see.

I mean on the one hand we have paid professional managers who build teams and handle millions of dollars in contract negotiations, and we have elite talents that spend their lives playing the came at the highest level.... And on the other hand we have a group of people who pay money to watch said players play the game in groups created by said professional managers.

Who's opinion carries more sway? Do the watchers have access to a set of information that managers and players are unable to access? Do the players and managers have access to a set of information that the watchers don't?

I mean, there simply MUST be a reason why those with their hands on the millions signed him, and there MUST be a reason why the players on the team were so happy to see it happen. Is it all just to fire up a vocal group on HF? Are they simply worse at evaluating what is important to the team?

Curious issue....

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder what the disconnect is between the value that the team, and management sees, and what some fans see.

I mean on the one hand we have paid professional managers who build teams and handle millions of dollars in contract negotiations, and we have elite talents that spend their lives playing the came at the highest level.... And on the other hand we have a group of people who pay money to watch said players play the game in groups created by said professional managers.

Who's opinion carries more sway? Do the watchers have access to a set of information that managers and players are unable to access? Do the players and managers have access to a set of information that the watchers don't?

I mean, there simply MUST be a reason why those with their hands on the millions signed him, and there MUST be a reason why the players on the team were so happy to see it happen. Is it all just to fire up a vocal group on HF? Are they simply worse at evaluating what is important to the team?

Curious issue....

:laugh: :handclap: :laugh:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
In a parallel universe, we'd be seeing both Phillips' and Alfredson's numbers being hung in the rafters this October as lifetime Sens after a glorious retirement ceremony, the C would officially pass to #19, while the front office shuffles a bit to make room for our new team ambassador named Alfie and our newest assistant coach, Big Rig. The organization would be happy, the fans would be happy, and the team would be a couple steps closer to that Cup.

That's what should've happened, anyway. :(

Cashin

Sep 24, 2014
In a parallel universe, we'd be seeing both Phillips' and Alfredson's numbers being hung in the rafters this October as lifetime Sens after a glorious retirement ceremony, the C would officially pass to #19, while the front office shuffles a bit to make room for our new team ambassador named Alfie and our newest assistant coach, Big Rig. The organization would be happy, the fans would be happy, and the team would be a couple steps closer to that Cup.

That's what should've happened, anyway. :(

In the perfect universe Daigle would have had a HoF career and Chara would be holding the cup over his head in a Sens jersey.

Nets Cash

Aug 12, 2014
In the perfect universe Daigle would have had a HoF career and Chara would be holding the cup over his head in a Sens jersey.

In a perfect universe, Yashin got paid the Daigle money he deserved and he wasn't vilified by fans for expecting he be paid the same as the underachieving brat who didn't want to be there.

Also, Phillips would have been ditched two or three years ago.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, we should stop giving our opinion on a forum for sharing opinions. Experts always know best.

I don't see a problem with people being critical of the signing, because as you said, even professionals make mistakes, however, when people suggest that Phillips was the worst D in the league last year, or that there are 700+ better players out there, you start to wonder why professionals from our scouting and GM disagree, why other teams were inquiring about him as a trade deadline acquisition, and why our coach consistently played him ahead of other options.

The problem isn't disagreeing with their assessment, but rather not being open to them seeing something (with their years of experience) that you don't, and perhaps having a better read on the player.

It's rare that NHL teams give multimillion dollar contracts to players that shouldn't be in the league. Sure they overpay from time to time, or injuries cause speedy regression, but they are usually pretty good at identifying a player who isn't capable of performing anymore, and either relegating then to the press-box, or just not signing them.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007

Curious issue....

Free Beer @ Big Rig Brewery ?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Curious issue....

If the sens were winning cups, I'd agree they're above criticism. But when they're not making the playoffs while not rebuilding either, their moves are open to criticism.

I laugh when people disagree with an opinion/agree with management they say "well management knows best so end of discussion" .it really is a lazy cop out of an argument.

We see management from different teams from different leagues all around make the dumbest moves that fans without hindsight could have told you were stupid. And when our management has done diddly squat to make us successful you blindly side with them? Nice. I wish I could blindly agree with people, but I don't have it in me. I must form my own opinions.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
One bad season in the last three years.

His last 3 years have been bad. Statistically speaking his numbers are worse and worse.

Eye test shows him getting beat in wide, missing coverage, getting softer, getting slower.

All over the past 3 years.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
His last 3 years have been bad. Statistically speaking his numbers are worse and worse.

Eye test shows him getting beat in wide, missing coverage, getting softer, getting slower.

All over the past 3 years.

I was referring to management and the state of the team. I should've been clearer.

As for Phillips, your assessment is not off base. I think most people would agree, even his staunchest defenders on here, that he's probably better suited for a third pairing role at this point. Yet, if none of the kids can step up and displace him, we're up the creek. The eye test is not too kind to the youngins either.

His contract is not out of line for a legacy player on his last legs. "Doesn't belong in the NHL" is where people can part ways. I just don't believe that's accurate. To my recollection, he had stretches of good play as well as bad and sometimes an otherwise good performance was overshadowed by one boneheaded play. If we can correct the flaws that were in our system last year, I still think he can thrive. Just how I see it.

Last edited:

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
If the sens were winning cups, I'd agree they're above criticism. But when they're not making the playoffs while not rebuilding either, their moves are open to criticism.

I laugh when people disagree with an opinion/agree with management they say "well management knows best so end of discussion" .it really is a lazy cop out of an argument.

We see management from different teams from different leagues all around make the dumbest moves that fans without hindsight could have told you were stupid. And when our management has done diddly squat to make us successful you blindly side with them? Nice. I wish I could blindly agree with people, but I don't have it in me. I must form my own opinions.

Nice post. Its actually funny to say they know better.

So the players were praising phillips on his new contract? The same ones that played extremely poorly last season? The coach likes and trusts phillips? The same one who lost countless games putting the 4th line out against stars and on the powerplay?

Or the management group that has accomplished what in recent years? Or the owner who claims he is broke but isn't willing to partner up or sell the team and will nickel and dime the way he runs operations?

Need to know why these people know best instead of us.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nice post. Its actually funny to say they know better.

So the players were praising phillips on his new contract? The same ones that played extremely poorly last season? The coach likes and trusts phillips? The same one who lost countless games putting the 4th line out against stars and on the powerplay?

Or the management group that has accomplished what in recent years? Or the owner who claims he is broke but isn't willing to partner up or sell the team and will nickel and dime the way he runs operations?

Need to know why these people know best instead of us.

Perhaps we should go over your achievements and see why we should believe you know best? Played house league 15 years ago and avid watcher of east coast games so long as they don't conflict with your personal life probably isn't sufficient.

It's funny because the parity in this league is such that the difference in a bad season and a good season is razor thin, one mistake and the puck can end up in the back of your net. Nobody is saying Phillips belongs in the top 4, everyone agrees his best days are past. It seems pretty clear management want's him in the bottom pair role, but to do that, Cowen or Wiercioch need to step up, along with Ceci.

In an ideal world, Phillips gets pushed out of the lineup, but until 2 of Boro, Wiercioch and Cowen show that they can perform better, that's not happening, and to date none have shown they are capable.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Perhaps we should go over your achievements and see why we should believe you know best? Played house league 15 years ago and avid watcher of east coast games so long as they don't conflict with your personal life probably isn't sufficient.

Isn't sufficient for what? To call a bad franchise bad? To say "hey that is a stupid decision they are making" and when consecutive decisions backfire question the direction of the organization and the people in it. I'm not saying I can run the organization or everyone is a moron. Or anything disrespectful like that.

I respect all the posters on here, but all I'm saying is, to not question what is currently going on with the results seen recently is sheep mentality. Its been 3-4 years since they "blew up" the team and started a whatever they called it. I think its fair to say, I expect a good showing in the playoffs, good coaching and some sort of identity this year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, we should stop giving our opinion on a forum for sharing opinions. Experts always know best.

Ditto! I suppose that those who think management is always right, for whatever reasons, are frustrated with those whose opinions don't agree with management's. There is a simple solution for that malady. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad