Confirmed with Link: Chris Phillips: 2 years, $5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Phillips was the worse d-man in the NHL last year, he can only be better this season, but I doubt it.

He should never of been signed.

It should be noted that McLean didn't think so, as he played Phillips over other players on the roster, and other teams GMs and pro scouts didn't think so, as there were apparently teams interested in trading for him (boston for one).

Perhaps people around here are too close to make an unbiased assessment of his play. Phillips didn't have a great year, but there were worse players out there last year; whether or not you're willing to see that is another issue.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not aiming these remarks specifically at you but in general. Human beings should never be referred to as trash or garbage or other ignorant terms, surely we can come up with other words that are not so demeaning. His abilities are diminishing with age, there is no question about that & some of us are of the opinion he should not have been re-signed. But he was & now we have to live with it no matter how well or how terrible he plays, but let's not be so disrespectful to a fellow human being by referring to them as trash. Let's pretend to have more class than that.

Yes, I agree. I never like it when someone referred to a player as trash or other rude remark. My view is he is past his prime and the team needs to get or develop two more top 4 defencemen. Plus the team must retain Methot to give them 4 top 4 defencemen. Cowen, Wiercioch and Ceci are the most likely options for top 4 defencemen at this time, and probably all 3 will not reach that level.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It should be noted that McLean didn't think so, as he played Phillips over other players on the roster, and other teams GMs and pro scouts didn't think so, as there were apparently teams interested in trading for him (boston for one).

Perhaps people around here are too close to make an unbiased assessment of his play. Phillips didn't have a great year, but there were worse players out there last year; whether or not you're willing to see that is another issue.

Problem is, once a player gets in the "Sens Fans" doghouse, the hyperbole-train for how bad he is is limitless.
Cuba Gooding Jr could sign with the Leafs tomorrow wearing an "I hate Ottowa" (intentional-misspelling to make us angrier) tshirt, put up a -163 +/-, wear figure skates, and use a curling broom instead of a hockey stick, and somehow Phillips would still be the "worst defenceman in the league". (see: I can exaggerate things too!)

Look at Heatley. 50 goal elite winger who could do no wrong when he was in our good books, and a "terrible defensive player/ puck hog/ does-nothing-but-wait-for-one-timers/ one-trick-pony/ etc..." when he was in our doghouse after the trade request. I mean, it's completely reasonable to slam his character for what he did, but people's opinion on his GAME changed overnight. One trade request made him go from being "one of the top-3 wingers in the game", in our opinion, to being "an overrated one-trick pony who was a product of the CASH line who would fail anywhere else he went because he was just not that good, and never was". What happened? Oh yeah: he got on our bad side.

Look at Alfie: literally nicknamed "God" while he was in our good books with multiple petitions to have a statue of him erected outside the arena... and nothing but an over-the-hill, flawed, good-for-nothing, never-won-anything-here piece of human garbage (according to some fans) after he left and was in our doghouse.

Spezza. Phillips. There's more, too. A lot of fans turned on Fisher in the year or two before he left (although not as much here on these boards, though there was some Fisher hate here too). Radek Bonk. Etc...

When Sens Fans (as a collective) turn on a player, it's over the top, ugly and cruel. I'm not surprised in the least.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No, it is not Phillips. Borowiecki has intensity and passion and knows how to fight. Phillips has love-ins, grabbing the players and holding on tight.

Phillips also has an eye injury/ condition in which one punch could leave him permanently blind in one eye.

But yeah, let's just say it's the other thing.

... If it's a player we like, then common sense prevails. If it's a guy we hate, then everything he does wrong is because "love-ins" and "no heart", or some other pejorative BS.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
And the worst of all of this is that simply by not throwing Phillips under the bus and trying to make an honest call about where his game is, I come off like some super insane Phillips-defender.

It's like, if you're not piling on, you're obviously blinded by love for the guy.

Can we honestly not just evaluate the guy on merit, and not this over-the-top, meme-level caricature of Phillips that seems to have developed on these boards over the past year?

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
How does one accurately gauge intensity and passion? Some people burn hot. Some people are quiet storms. It all seems so subjective.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
And the worst of all of this is that simply by not throwing Phillips under the bus and trying to make an honest call about where his game is, I come off like some super insane Phillips-defender.

It's like, if you're not piling on, you're obviously blinded by love for the guy.

Can we honestly not just evaluate the guy on merit, and not this over-the-top, meme-level caricature of Phillips that seems to have developed on these boards over the past year?

Well you are clearly just blinded by your bias for older players. Its so simple!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm not aiming these remarks specifically at you but in general. Human beings should never be referred to as trash or garbage or other ignorant terms, surely we can come up with other words that are not so demeaning. His abilities are diminishing with age, there is no question about that & some of us are of the opinion he should not have been re-signed. But he was & now we have to live with it no matter how well or how terrible he plays, but let's not be so disrespectful to a fellow human being by referring to them as trash. Let's pretend to have more class than that.

Its a figure of speach and all relative.

You'll often hear "that player sucks!" About a professional player. Doesn't mean he actually sucks. He just sucks relative to the average nhl player.

When you think of trash, you think of what you throw out.
People think Phillips should have been let go (like you do with trash).

No need to get offended, people don't think hes trash as a human being, but useless in terms of ability as a NHL player at this point in his career.

Once something becomes useless, you throw it out. No need to get all riled up.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Its a figure of speach and all relative.

You'll often hear "that player sucks!" About a professional player. Doesn't mean he actually sucks. He just sucks relative to the average nhl player.

When you think of trash, you think of what you throw out.
People think Phillips should have been let go (like you do with trash).

No need to get offended, people don't think hes trash as a human being, but useless in terms of ability as a NHL player at this point in his career.

Once something becomes useless, you throw it out. No need to get all riled up.

Oooooooor, YOU can tone down the things you say. Doesn't that make a lot more sense than spewing a bunch of hyperbole and expecting everyone else to just chill out?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Oooooooor, YOU can tone down the things you say. Doesn't that make a lot more sense than spewing a bunch of hyperbole and expecting everyone else to just chill out?

People exaggerate to emphasize a point.

"This cake is out of this world." - no, it really isn't, but who cares?

"Tupac is a god" - no hes not, but he's well respecting in the hip hop world.

"They make the best ice cream in the world!" How do you know?

"This guy over here is the biggest guy ever" oh really?

They're exaggeration to prove a point. Why get riled up instead of just understanding that society often does this.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Personally, it's easier to recognize which posters actually know how to analyze hockey and who doesn't by the language they use.

Grammar and hockey have nothing to do with each other. Wasn't a famous coach or player illiterate?

Your statement is hilariously wrong. It doesn't take a PhD in the English language to know about hockey.

You can have 2 well spoken hockey fans who disagree on if Phillips is useful, and you can have 2 slang talking hockey fans who disagree on whether Phillips is useful. What then?

And if anything, doesnt the well educated guy spend more time on his education, and working to pay for his education, whereas the uneducated guy has more free time to watch hockey.

Just to clear things up, I'm still in school. But when you say "language they use" I'm not sure if you're talking about French/English or the education behind their speech, or the linguistic intelligence they have. Either way, none of it has any baring on how well they recognize talent or understand the game of hockey.

Someone who says "Phillips is passed his prime and isn't useful in my opinion" isn't prove(or even close to it) that they understand the game of hockey more then someone who says "Phillips sucks".

Greening is smart and educated and well spoken...yet I see him make dumb plays on the ice. Where are his smarts on the ice? Book smart or grammar smart doesn't have anything to do with hockey smarts. It should be fairly obvious and I don't know why you would even make that comment.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Phillips also has an eye injury/ condition in which one punch could leave him permanently blind in one eye.

But yeah, let's just say it's the other thing.

... If it's a player we like, then common sense prevails. If it's a guy we hate, then everything he does wrong is because "love-ins" and "no heart", or some other pejorative BS.

I never used the word "hate". And i never said "everything he does is wrong". I did say "love-ins" and i continue to observe that type of play from him. He is definitly not like Borowiecli! That was my point. You have confirmed it.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
Let’s be honest, Phillips was a terrible signing, the guy’s stats have been bad for the last two seasons running. The fact is this is a business, and the world of business, especially the sports entertainment business, tends to be cut-throat about its product. If you’re not, your product suffers and we’re already seeing it with this signing. Decisions from the heart seldom make good business decisions. And don’t think for a second that Phillips wouldn’t have walked had the sens not offered him a renewal, because he would’ve.

But that said, I think a lot of folks are taking out their frustration on the player, when in fact it’s a managerial blunder. Whether that’s Melnyk’s or MacLean’s blunder, it’s neither here nor there, it’s still a major oversight that will cost the team, we’re already seeing it with a small backlog of defensemen in Bingo that are ready for this league.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteLight*

There are Phillips haters, as is evident in this thread, and the defence poll thread where the options are, trade _____, trade _____, but for Phillips the option is, "????/why is Phillips here". The poll option is meant to create a biased perception for a player before a vote has even been cast. The option isn't to trade Phillips, or buy him out, it asks why he is even on the team in the first place? And the OP wants everyone to understand that the OP believes Phillips being resigned is the reason for the issue of having too many defensmen.

There are haters, and they usually exaggerate, as I did above, twice.

Huh? Did you make the poll? How do you know?

The ONLY reason why there wasn't a ''Trade Phillips'' option like the others is because he has a NMC (or I assume he does). The buyout period is also over.

''????'' is the poll option for people who don't know what the solution is and the ''why is Phillips here'' is for people who don't know why Phillips is still here. So instead of making two options, I made a single general confusion/don't know what's going on option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Management was damned no matter what they did. Let a 3rd long-time Sen walk in less than 3 years, or sign a guy who is more of a 7th D fill-in than a legit starter.

Though, to be honest, I'm not impressed with any of our Bingo defensemen, either. We can see flashes of something with Weir, Boro & company, but not really enough to convince me that any of them will really be legit full-time NHLers in the near future.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Management was damned no matter what they did. Let a 3rd long-time Sen walk in less than 3 years, or sign a guy who is more of a 7th D fill-in than a legit starter.

Though, to be honest, I'm not impressed with any of our Bingo defensemen, either. We can see flashes of something with Weir, Boro & company, but not really enough to convince me that any of them will really be legit full-time NHLers in the near future.

I agree as to why they did it but I don't get it after giving Boro the one way. It doesn't make sense to me.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
And that would be fine (if not letting another long-time Sen go is important); the problem is that he's not used as a 7th D fill-in. That's not really his fault either.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Huh? Did you make the poll? How do you know?

The ONLY reason why there wasn't a ''Trade Phillips'' option like the others is because he has a NMC (or I assume he does). The buyout period is also over.

''????'' is the poll option for people who don't know what the solution is and the ''why is Phillips here'' is for people who don't know why Phillips is still here. So instead of making two options, I made a single general confusion/don't know what's going on option.

Phillips has a limited NTC, assuming it's similar to the one on his expiring deal, he can submit a list of 10 teams he won't go to

Whether it was your intent or not, your poll options gives the impression that Phillips should obviously not be on the team, and desired or not, has the effect of skewing peoples opinions.

Not sure why you'd have to combine the ? and what is Phillips doing here options, imo only serves to pollute the results.

I think you lost the benefit of the doub based on your post history surrounding Phillips.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009

Management should be damned, of the 3 players that would be let go in this scenario the only one that everyone would be happy about is the one currently still on the team. NO ONE wants this bag of garbage on the team and for some reason we didn't shell out coin for the 2 players that should have stayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad