Confirmed with Link: Chris Neil will not return next season

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sad to see him go, but not sad that he won't be in our lineup anymore at this stage in his career, if that makes sense. The nostalgia part of me is sad, but the strictly tunnel-vision "2017-18 Sens Fan" isn't. Lots of great memories of him in a Sens uniform. Thanks for all the years, Chris... ya did good.

Wish him nothing but the best as he plays out the twilight of his career. Hopefully he has enough common sense and decency to avoid pulling a Favre and sign with a rival like Toronto or Montreal, tarnishing his legacy in the process.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This was clearly the right move for the club. I have all the respect in the world for Neiler and all he has done for the team, but the clock had clearly struck midnight this season. The fact that he played 1000 games plus with one franchise is a rare achievement in today's NHL - he should be very proud of the career he built.

As for his future, if I had to guess right now I don't think he'll get another contract. Who knows, though - it only takes one team out of the 31 to decide that they need some "toughness" or "veteran leadership". I am confident in predicting, though, that if he does get a contract he'll end up sitting as many games as he plays, and he won't be very happy. About half way through the year in this strange city, he'll be wishing he had just retired in Ottawa. That's why for his sake I hope that he doesn't get picked up, and that the Sens can host a retirement news conference for him in September and do it up right.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I respect Neil, but I'm happy to see him move on too. There really wasn't a place for him and if he wants to continue playing, this is what is best for the team and for Neil. I'm glad they were honest to him about the role he would (or lack there of) play.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I like Dorion's stance on this. It was "retire a Sen, or play for another team". Neil elected the latter. Fine. Neil can make a few more bucks for his family. He's a legend here and that will never change.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like Dorion's stance on this. It was "retire a Sen, or play for another team". Neil elected the latter. Fine. Neil can make a few more bucks for his family. He's a legend here and that will never change.

This is why it's hard to get too bent out of shape about this. At the end of the day it's a business, and if someone is willing to pay you a million bucks U.S. for one more season, you take it. Any of us would...

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I could see a team like Arizona, or someone else with a bunch of young players sign Neil to a 1 year deal around $750K.

After next season, Neil will return to Ottawa and be given a player development role. There's no doubt that they guy knows how to train properly over the summer months and having someone like him around to teach players how to protect themselves in a fight is also valuable.

GuidedRightly

Dec 3, 2013
Dubai
Feel sad that he's not retiring a Senator.

However time waits for no man, and this was the right decision for the Sens. Faith in PD growing.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
He could play for Montreal for all I care. Doesn't change the fact that he spent most of his career here. Retiring with one team is overrated.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Feel sad that he's not retiring a Senator.

However time waits for no man, and this was the right decision for the Sens. Faith in PD growing.

He may yet retire a Senator if he doesn't get a contract offer this summer. At that point, the Sens call a news conference, allow him to make a face-saving, "I changed my mind, time to retire" announcement and give him the tribute he deserves. This is what I hope happens. The odds that he lands an every day role with any team, let alone one that is a contender, seems remote to me.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
If this was 2012, perhaps he does, but no chance of that happening in 2017.

I highly doubt he'll get another contract.

Me too. Especially at the money people are suggesting. If guys like Matt Cullen are signing for $1 million bucks then Chris Neil is going to get like $650k on the open market.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I was in Buffalo the night he absolutely pasted Drury and set off the fireworks. Good times.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sad to see him go, but not sad that he won't be in our lineup anymore at this stage in his career, if that makes sense. The nostalgia part of me is sad, but the strictly tunnel-vision "2017-18 Sens Fan" isn't. Lots of great memories of him in a Sens uniform. Thanks for all the years, Chris... ya did good.

Wish him nothing but the best as he plays out the twilight of his career. Hopefully he has enough common sense and decency to avoid pulling a Favre and sign with a rival like Toronto or Montreal, tarnishing his legacy in the process.

I think he will go to any team who is willing to give him an NHL salary regardless on legacy, hell, Alfredsson left. Of course, if he does go to a rival team he will do to Ottawa what Domi did to Ottawa for yrs & what Glass did to Ottawa until they dressed Neil to stop him. Chris Neil could wipe the floor with every player in this organization, bar none. Let's hope he ends up out west somewhere if he is even picked up at all that is, otherwise, he could come back to haunt this team specifically in the playoffs where so much is let go. Apparently those kind of payers may a difference this yr in a few series.

Uncle Eugene

Buckle Up.
Mar 19, 2010
Barbados
He's delusional if he thinks he's still a 10 minutes a night guy. He's a great man, and an Ottawa Senators legend but jeeze.

Please hang them up so we can get you coaching in Belleville.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think the guy got a chance to show what he could do in a minimal role, Boucher didn't like it enough to give the guy an expanded role.

With that said, his assessment is mostly right. He is gone because the coach doesn't want him, that isn't an unfair statement to make, it's the truth. The not getting a chance is debatable.

People saying he'll get 700k or whatever somewhere are out to lunch. He has a very unique skillset as one of the last standing pugilists who might be perceived (even if it isn't entirely true) as being able to still play a 4th line role. He also brings a lot of veteran experience to a team. There's going to be at least one or two teams out there who are willing to sign him at vet 4th line money. Shawn Thornton at a similar age got a 2 year 1.2M deal. I'd be a bit surprised if Neil doesn't get a 2 year deal worth at least 1M per season.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He's delusional if he thinks he's still a 10 minutes a night guy. He's a great man, and an Ottawa Senators legend but jeeze.

Please hang them up so we can get you coaching in Belleville.

If this is his conclusion, I don't want him coaching for us.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If this is his conclusion, I don't want him coaching for us.

Well the organization parted ways with Neil, a player they treated with much respect. His last contract was a compensation for years of service.

I don't see him getting a job with the organization, I don't see it based on merit or these comments about the current coach who did, indeed, give him the opportunity to be a regular. That 4th line happened to be atrocious​.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well the organization parted ways with Neil, a player they treated with much respect. His last contract was a compensation for years of service.

I don't see him getting a job with the organization, I don't see it based on merit or these comments about the current coach who did, indeed, give him the opportunity to be a regular. That 4th line happened to be atrocious​.

Couldn't disagree more. This fan base would take Neil back in an organizational role in a heartbeat. IMO it was blatantly obvious that this coach wanted to go in a different direction & didn't dress Neil until he needed to counter Glass in the Rangers series & it worked. The big fear IMO is that this team is losing Neil & may also lose Phaneuf, two very tough players to play against & make them so much softer than they already are. It will be very interesting next yr during the regular season when a game gets out of hand or in next yr's playoffs when the going gets tough what this team is able to counter with.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Couldn't disagree more. This fan base would take Neil back in an organizational role in a heartbeat. IMO it was blatantly obvious that this coach wanted to go in a different direction & didn't dress Neil until he needed to counter Glass in the Rangers series & it worked. The big fear IMO is that this team is losing Neil & may also lose Phaneuf, two very tough players to play against & make them so much softer than they already are. It will be very interesting next yr during the regular season when a game gets out of hand or in next yr's playoffs when the going gets tough what this team is able to counter with.

Based on what merit? Why does a player, unless your name is Alfie, automatically get a job with the organization, especially after mouthing off on the head coach on his reduced role when it was apparent that this guy was done as a regular player?

Nepotism, old boys club...how is it different than Bryan Murray's affinity for "good guys" he supposedly signed to contracts fans hated, Neil being one of them? In any case, Neil still thinks he is a player and parted with the organization to hopefully find playing opportunity elsewhere. The parting shots via Don Brennan were hilarious and completely unnecessary, especially when the proof is in the pudding.

The Neil boat sailed a long time ago, he can thank Murray for a good retirement package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad