Confirmed with Link: Chris Neil will not return next season

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
Wow. So out of that whole mid 2000s team, who would have thought that Phillips of all people would be the only player to play out his entire career with us.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Wonder if a team will offer him a contract. Neil has significantly slowed down and was just about a liability out there near the end.

I guess, there's nothing to lose in trying to see if there's interest out there.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Wonder if a team will offer him a contract.

Probably. Pro scouting seems pretty poor league wide, so I'm sure there is still a team or two out there that think they're getting the Chris Neil of 7 or 8 years ago.

Power move by Dorion. Wouldn't have happened under the previous regime.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Love the guy but I don't think he's going to get the type of deal he expects.

Not necessarily a bad idea to have him on a regular season roster playing very limited minutes on a powerhouse team however.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
As sad as it is to see Neil go, it shows Dorion isn't going to be sentimental about his players. The old regime seemed to get caught up in keeping the wrong guys around and extending players that didn;t seem to fit into the long term success of the team. Hard for Dorion I'm sure, but good for him, we need to be ruthless with every pro contract and this is what it looks like.

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau
This is a sad day for me... but the right move. Actually, I find it pretty reassuring that Dorion is able to make the right decision and leave emotions aside. Lot of respect for Neil who gave it all for this team and if he feels he can still contribute, go for it... but not with the Sens. Respect!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't agree with any of you especially regarding what BM would have done, it's all conjecture. People put so much on the GM but PD & company were there during all those other contracts too that BM was responsible for. It's not a one man job but a consensus by a management team of coaches, scouts & management.

Neil's time has run out with this coach & the kind of player he wants on the roster & at 37 yrs old it will be tough for Neil to get another player's contract. I wonder if he will look into being a coach somewhere? Every player's time eventually comes to an end & with some it's a sad day & Chris Neil was great for this franchise & one of the best at his job. He will be missed. :handclap:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I don't agree with any of you especially regarding what BM would have done, it's all conjecture. People put so much on the GM but PD & company were there during all those other contracts too that BM was responsible for. It's not a one man job but a consensus by a management team of coaches, scouts & management

That's an incredibly naive thing to say.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Maybe he wont get a contract hes happy with and he'll retire. I dont see much demand for a 5 min a night player

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
End of an era. Great Senator, community member, good guy. This time comes for all players and is never easy, all the best.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Maybe he wont get a contract hes happy with and he'll retire. I dont see much demand for a 5 min a night player

Agreed. I really can't see a team signing him....especially if the cap stays flat.

It sucks for Neil, but he isn't the same player he was, and hasn't been for a long time.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
a-ok with me.

This is a confidence builder in Dorion. No more legacy contracts

He doesn't need this type of confidence. He's a big part of those legacy contracts and if he forgets that he looks to the left and then see's this Alfie guy next to him every game. Its a confidence builder in Melnyk maybe cause he doesn't know if the puck is rubber or stuffed with feathers..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad