Confirmed with Link: Chris Neil will not return next season

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would like to see pictures of players who meet a fact-based set of requirements put up on the walls of the concourses of the arena to honour them for their achievements (called Senators Ring of Hounour or something appropriate). For a few special players I would also like to see their name, picture and number hung in the rafters over the ice surface as a special honour.

Regarding number retirement, I would rather continue to use all the numbers and the ones hung in the rafters would require special approval to be used again by a player.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How many guys with Chris Neil's type of game/role have their jerseys retired around the league?

Didn't the Leafs do something for Domi when he retired? Neil should be in the Ring of Honour having played 1,000 games as an Ottawa Senator.

Reactions: Cosmix

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Chris Neil is 20th all time PIM leader in the NHL, also never been suspended. He gave us all he had in his 16 years, 1121 games including playoffs. I say to the rafters with #25.

What does it say about him that "never been suspended" is one of the accomplishments you use to justify sending his number to the rafters?

I mean, seriously, you cannot put the bar any lower than that.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
What does it say about him that "never been suspended" is one of the accomplishments you use to justify sending his number to the rafters?

I mean, seriously, you cannot put the bar any lower than that.

Anyone else qualify? What criteria would you put if any?

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Anyone else qualify? What criteria would you put if any?

Alfie and Karlsson are the only two players who qualify imo. Criteria includes a combination of individual awards, personal stats, team success etc.

Alfie was the Calder trophy winner, an elite right-winger in the league for almost a decade, longest-serving captain, holds virtually every major team offensive record, led us to our first Stanley Cup final appearance etc.

Karlsson is a two-time (and counting) Norris trophy winner and will finish his tenure in Ottawa with every offensive record for defensemen. Also, he's widely considered to be one of the best at his position league wide for almost 5 years now and is likely to go down as one of the best defensemen of his generation.

Basically, imo in order to qualify for jersey retirement you have to be a HoF calibre player. A name that's recognized and respected by fans across the entire league. It's reserved for the legends of the game.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Alfie and Karlsson are the only two players who qualify imo. Criteria includes a combination of individual awards, personal stats, team success etc.

Alfie was the Calder trophy winner, an elite right-winger in the league for almost a decade, longest-serving captain, holds virtually every major team offensive record, led us to our first Stanley Cup final appearance etc.

Karlsson is a two-time (and counting) Norris trophy winner and will finish his tenure in Ottawa with every offensive record for defensemen. Also, he's widely considered to be one of the best at his position league wide for almost 5 years now and is likely to go down as one of the best defensemen of his generation.

Basically, imo in order to qualify for jersey retirement you have to be a HoF calibre player. A name that's recognized and respected by fans across the entire league. It's reserved for the legends of the game.

Open to discussion but this makes sense. I "liked" it.

It means we value our best players by how they are judged on the outside as well as inside the org. So I guess that's where the ring of honor comes in for the other guys like Neil.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

Good explanation ....thanks

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site

I like the idea then of removing the number from circulation like they've already done with Phillips (Daneyko/Devils) and adding him (and Phillips) to a ring of honour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad