Confirmed with Link: Chris Kunitz to 1 yr deal ($1m) , Brandon Manning to 2 yr deal ($2.25m aav)

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Exactly. The coach doesn't see players often enough to form a good opinion of the players he wants for the team. He can request a couple good vets for specific roles, but the responsibility is on the GM (and pro scouts) to find the best players for those roles, without the coaches input on who it is. Bowman clearly thought Manning was best for Q, and swung and missed.
best definition of how Q does works.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Exactly. The coach doesn't see players often enough to form a good opinion of the players he wants for the team. He can request a couple good vets for specific roles, but the responsibility is on the GM (and pro scouts) to find the best players for those roles, without the coaches input on who it is. Bowman clearly thought Manning was best for Q, and swung and missed.
all coaches watch videos from each and every team in the league...if Q isn't doing that, he should have been fired years ago.
you continually try and find ways to limit Q's role on this team, but yes, he is a head coach, he knows and follows players in this league - it is his job to know the enemy. Bowman has to know rookies, Euro players, CHLers/NCAA, minor league players, etc....but to say Q doesn't know or hasn't followed 15 year vets like Kunitz and Ward is laughable. I am sure Q has seen Manning as well, unless he was benched the times we played the Flyers.

Reactions: jls24

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
all coaches watch videos from each and every team in the league...if Q isn't doing that, he should have been fired years ago.
you continually try and find ways to limit Q's role on this team, but yes, he is a head coach, he knows and follows players in this league - it is his job to know the enemy. Bowman has to know rookies, Euro players, CHLers/NCAA, minor league players, etc....but to say Q doesn't know or hasn't followed 15 year vets like Kunitz and Ward is laughable. I am sure Q has seen Manning as well, unless he was benched the times we played the Flyers.
Of course they watch film of team systems and weaknesses. But to say they sit there and dissect 6/7 Dmen on other teams is laughable.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Of course they watch film of team systems and weaknesses. But to say they sit there and dissect 6/7 Dmen on other teams is laughable.
and you think Bowman has the time to dissect a 6th/7th dman?? he has people that do that job as well..

point is, they all know who he was/is...Bowman and Q...Bowman didnt just go out and sign Manning and go "SURPRISE" to our coach...Q was well aware of him and I'm confident wanted the signing to happen. Bowman needs glasses if he watched this guy more than twice in his life, or when they did look at tapes they must have been doctored to hide this guys follies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
and you think Bowman has the time to dissect a 6th/7th dman?? he has people that do that job as well..

point is, they all know who he was/is...Bowman and Q...Bowman didnt just go out and sign Manning and go "SURPRISE" to our coach...Q was well aware of him and I'm confident wanted the signing to happen. Bowman needs glasses if he watched this guy more than twice in his life, or when they did look at tapes they must have been doctored to hide this guys follies.
for me, the signing of Manning was a Q thing. to make Q happy.....

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

I think I already said it's on Bowman and the pro scouts. It's clear both Bowman and Q wanted this guy, but in the end it's on the GM, he is the one that should be watching and or trusting his scouts to get good players. They see them far more often and are hired to determine if they're good enough. Q is hired to coach the players he has

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think I already said it's on Bowman and the pro scouts. It's clear both Bowman and Q wanted this guy, but in the end it's on the GM, he is the one that should be watching and or trusting his scouts to get good players. They see them far more often and are hired to determine if they're good enough. Q is hired to coach the players he has
excellent final point in any discussion.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Its been so many months and now so many games with Manning on Hawks

I cant understand how someone can be this bad and still find a coach and GM who support him

I still cant believe the contract he got from Stanley

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Manning signing put me over the edge.

I'm ready to see Stan go along with Q.

My thoughts at the time of the signing.

Little has changed. If McD isnt ready to fire Stan til his drafts get to the league, fine, but the pro scouting staff on this team should be axed pronto.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'll still swear up and down that Bowman signed Kunitz and Manning just to tank the season for a top five pick.

I mean, he's made a lot of bad decisions, but Manning at a cap hit that can't be completely buried makes less sense than signing Seabrook to a 7m a year deal for 8 years. At least Seabrook was once a good player and a leader, not to mention that there are other big (fat) defensemen over 30 who are still good players (buff comes to mind), but Manning was never any of those things (other than the fat part).

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'll still swear up and down that Bowman signed Kunitz and Manning just to tank the season for a top five pick.

I mean, he's made a lot of bad decisions, but Manning at a cap hit that can't be completely buried makes less sense than signing Seabrook to a 7m a year deal for 8 years. At least Seabrook was once a good player and a leader, not to mention that there are other big (fat) defensemen over 30 who are still good players (buff comes to mind), but Manning was never any of those things (other than the fat part).
no offense, but i don't...... look at the performance of Joker..... that is the key. who would've anticipated that Joker would be playing enuf to be starting ??

ref to Kunitz.... it is clear that he realize the hole in the forward position so he got kunitz for help ...

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Kunitz is perfect in his current role getting spot starts (should get less than he does) and sitting in the press box so you don't waste a kid's development sitting there.

Manning, while not as bad as people make him out to be, is a bad signing obviously.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

That would make sense, but he signed him to a two year deal.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011

Not trying to support Stan, but Nashville (a very well known organization, with an eye for Dmen) wanted him as well..

I wonder why?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Not trying to support Stan, but Nashville (a very well known organization, with an eye for Dmen) wanted him as well..

I wonder why?
Depends on how much they wanted to give. I wouldn't have hated signing him if he made a million and could've been waived after the 'Manning Experiment' was over.

If Nashville wanted to sign him for $2.25m for 2 years, he'd be livin' in Nashville, not Chicago. We gave way, way,wwwaaaaaayyyyyyy too much for his services and I don't see a team wanting to take him off our hands. Dude's legit terrible.

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016
For any of you hoping that Manning's going to be waived/sent down, he's not going anywhere. The Blackhawks Store and the Madhouse Team Store just started selling his own clothing line for his organization, The Mandog Project, and it has its own section under the community tab on the Hawks' website.

Mandog Project

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
For any of you hoping that Manning's going to be waived/sent down, he's not going anywhere. The Blackhawks Store and the Madhouse Team Store just started selling his own clothing line for his organization, The Mandog Project, and it has its own section under the community tab on the Hawks' website.

Mandog Project
Good guys get traded all the time. It's nothing personal. It's the $2.25mn cap hit next year that is the problem.

Rockford fire fighters need love too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad