Confirmed with Link: Chris Kunitz to 1 yr deal ($1m) , Brandon Manning to 2 yr deal ($2.25m aav)

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Around 2Mil/2yr for what's assumed to be a bottom pairing gritty/physical D-man to be used in certain games & situations isn't bad...even if the guy sucks. What sucks is seeing him perform poorly over and over then continuing to play the guy despite the better options. I think he's played in all but 1 or 2 games so far, and 2 or so of those were decent performances.

Point is, a cap hit of 2 mil isn't a make or break contract despite the ridiculous hyperbole. Manning belongs being subbed in for games against slightly slower but overly trap/physical teams and that's it.
It may not be make-or-break but it's a bad contract--pure and simple. A guy like him could have/should have been had for 1 year, 1.5M *max*. Luca Sbisa & Andrej Sustr are comparables to Manning that signed 1 yr, 1.5M or less deals.

If you're looking for bottom pairing, transitional talent to round off the roster, you don't overpay, and you don't give multiple years...pure and simple. With Forsling and Murphy out and Joker coming in Stan needed D-roster flexibility. The chance that Joker and Gus panning out was the same as if they didn't in the offseason, so stan should have had a contingency if that happened--and only one of Rutta or Manning should have been signed to a 5-6 deal instead of both.

Now Davidson is a good deal for a 6-7 and is ideal. You can waive and fully bury him if better personnel comes along. Can't fully bury Manning or Rutta.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Manning sucks. What a bad signing. Should be with the Hogs already. I have him a few games but he just isn't good at anything.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Poor skater? Check.
Awful positionally? Check.
Terrible decision maker? Check.
Bad passer? Check.

Let's play him 15 minutes a night and give him almost 70% defensive zone starts. That should do wonders.

Not to mention PK, one reason why it’s so horrible lol

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Poor skater? Check.
Awful positionally? Check.
Terrible decision maker? Check.
Bad passer? Check.

Let's play him 15 minutes a night and give him almost 70% defensive zone starts. That should do wonders.

Self given shitty nickname? Also a check

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I miss when we just had Rundblad as our only negative value player. Now we have two players that are basically cap penalties at this point

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, Kunitz is essentially getting practically nothing from a cap hit perspective. I'm not expecting much from him, and we're not getting much from him. Manning is the wtf one still.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I was wrong on Rutta. I defended him and the signing 100% because of how he played when healthy last season and prior...but he just does not look the same, and it has to be due to his groin, but therein lies the problem...he is hurting this team and not helping it if he can't be the player we need him to be right now on the ice. I am not saying we move him right now, his value is too low..but I would start sitting him for a good solid 2 week stretch, minimal on ice activity, and let him fully heal physically and mentally even if he says he is 100% fine...he is not.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I was wrong on Rutta. I defended him and the signing 100% because of how he played when healthy last season and prior...but he just does not look the same, and it has to be due to his groin, but therein lies the problem...he is hurting this team and not helping it if he can't be the player we need him to be right now on the ice. I am not saying we move him right now, his value is too low..but I would start sitting him for a good solid 2 week stretch, minimal on ice activity, and let him fully heal physically and mentally even if he says he is 100% fine...he is not.
i too would do the safe thing and sit him. that is if he has lingering affect of his injury. the per-injury Rutta is or was made me think he is a keeper. that is as long as his defensive side is solid.

Reactions: AmericanDream

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Stan Bowman needs to be fired asap so ge can no longer do any more damage to this team. Bad contracts and bad trades are the anchor of this team and all Stan Bowmans fault.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Stan Bowman needs to be fired asap so ge can no longer do any more damage to this team. Bad contracts and bad trades are the anchor of this team and all Stan Bowmans fault.

This is not really true at all.

This team is setup for future success with a stacked D prospect pipeline and cap space coming. Stan has corrected the ship after a bad Seabrook deal and a Saad trade that has not turned out as expected.

People need to realize that this window was not staying open forever. Being a non playoff team for 1-2 seasons is better for the long term success of the team compared to a wildcard spot and 1st round exit.

Manning has zero impact on the future FYI.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This is not really true at all.

This team is setup for future success with a stacked D prospect pipeline and cap space coming. Stan has corrected the ship after a bad Seabrook deal and a Saad trade that has not turned out as expected.

People need to realize that this window was not staying open forever. Being a non playoff team for 1-2 seasons is better for the long term success of the team compared to a wildcard spot and 1st round exit.

Manning has zero impact on the future FYI.
Manning and Kunitz go against everything Bowman has been doing the past few years at the draft...It is so painfully obvious these guys were brought in "specifically" for Q. I am saying that not in a bash Q meaning or scapegoat for Bowman, I think it as simple as this.

Q wanted better veteran leaders here, he wanted a more stay at home reliable guy on the blue line as well..Bowman told Q, these are the names available and within budget - Q liked a certain few guys, campaigned to get them and Bowman got them for Q.

Bowman knows these guys do not fit what he is building here or the future (but understands they cannot hurt the long term growth of the youth being built up) ...but he brings them in regardless because it is what his coach wants...so he does. Bowman knows this is not a good look on him if they do not pan out, but he is willing to bite that bullet in order to show he has given his coach all different types of looks, players, rosters etc only to continue to look like a mess on the ice.

This is now strike 2 on Bowman, as the Bickell contract and then eventual trade of TT was strike 1 for me as a horrible blunder. The Panarin/Saad trade hasn't fully played out yet, and if Saad hits 45-50 points this year, the deal is palatable but still not good. But Bowman gets strike two for bringing in Kunitz and Manning, good locker room guys and yes men...but not real good hockey players...one more strike he is out...but this was a calculated strike because he has given his coach players he (Q) likes and wanted in Manning, Kunitz, and Ward - and signed guys for cheap like Gus, Kahun Davidson and Fortin...who all are contributing on this team.

I said that Bowman was going to let Q tie his own noose after the off season signings, and if Q can't deliver on this team, then his fate is set by the new year, with Bowman on strike two....

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Q wanted better veteran leaders here, he wanted a more stay at home reliable guy on the blue line as well..Bowman told Q, these are the names available and within budget - Q liked a certain few guys, campaigned to get them and Bowman got them for Q.
I am sure Q wanted good veterans, and a good stay at home reliable Dman. It's up to Bowman to provide players that are actually good at those roles. And it's not a good look on Bowman that he can not provide good players for those roles, because almost every single NHL coach wants those types of players on their team. If Bowmans goal was to provide Q with those types of players that are actively bad at those roles, well, he succeeded. Bowman deserves just as much blame here.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am sure Q wanted good veterans, and a good stay at home reliable Dman. It's up to Bowman to provide players that are actually good at those roles. And it's not a good look on Bowman that he can not provide good players for those roles, because almost every single NHL coach wants those types of players on their team. If Bowmans goal was to provide Q with those types of players that are actively bad at those roles, well, he succeeded. Bowman deserves just as much blame here.
did you even read what I said? I mean I literally blame Bowman for doing it....strike 2..

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
did you even read what I said? I mean I literally blame Bowman for doing it....strike 2..
I mean, you sort of did. You just left out the part that coaches want good players on the ice, not just a vet and a stay at home Dman (which Manning isn't even a SAH guy, that's just where he should be staying)

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Actually, though all this is highly speculative, if true I think SB deserves more of the blame. Afterall he's supposed to be the GM, not some lackey who jumps through hoops for his coach even though it conflicts with his vision.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Actually, though all this is highly speculative, if true I think SB deserves more of the blame. Afterall he's supposed to be the GM, not some lackey who jumps through hoops for his coach even though it conflicts with his vision.

This true.

This is where is sucks for us as fans as we don't know the inner workings and directions that Stan and Q have been given by John McD. We can make assumptions but who the effort knows at this point. Is this Stan on his own? Is this Stan being told to give Q what he feels he needs? We just don't know.

John McD has shown in the past he meddles and this is partially why I am strong willed in my stance on Bowman as a good GM. There are a lot of signs he is a good GM and then there are these moves than go against what he has done in the past, Seabrook and Bickell's deals vs Keith's deal, etc., his drafting and Euro FA finds vs some of the Hawks FA NHL choices. It is just confusing how off some of the moves are. Then there is the reports from most of the insiders on Bowman being one of the most respected GMs in the league (Bobby Mac has said this multiple times). The Hawks are just a weird situation.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Exactly. The coach doesn't see players often enough to form a good opinion of the players he wants for the team. He can request a couple good vets for specific roles, but the responsibility is on the GM (and pro scouts) to find the best players for those roles, without the coaches input on who it is. Bowman clearly thought Manning was best for Q, and swung and missed.

Reactions: LDF

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Kunitz would not be a problem if Q would use him correctly. That is my feeling on him. If he was not in PP and on bottom 3/6 we would not care.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Kunitz would not be a problem if Q would use him correctly. That is my feeling on him. If he was not in PP and on bottom 3/6 we would not care.

If Hawks felt they truly needed a 4th line vet, Wingels would have been the better choice, imo, but yeah, if Kunitz was utilized properly he wouldn't be an issue. It's hard for me to believe that Q regularly gives him time on the PP. It's no wonder it is near the bottom of the league. Just another example of dysfunction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad