Confirmed with Link: Chris Kunitz to 1 yr deal ($1m) , Brandon Manning to 2 yr deal ($2.25m aav)

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I mean, Toews scored twice, Keith scored lol..and we put up 6 goals and still lost..this might be a very entertaining season! After seeing Boqvist out there again last night, honestly...how the **** does he not make this team????
he is better than Manning, but he shouldn't be on this team this year. he needs a year of development with boys his age, IMO. Rushing him here this year isn't a good idea.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he is better than Manning, but he shouldn't be on this team this year. he needs a year of development with boys his age, IMO. Rushing him here this year isn't a good idea.
he is holding his own out there, how would that be rushing??

the 9 game look is a must for him right now, he has earned that. if the season starts and he buckles then send him down, but if he holds his own in the first 9 games playing meaningful minutes, you think he should still be sent down?

and London must be sooooooo happy right now seeing Bouchard and Boqvist both likely getting at least the 9 game showcase lol....

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
he is holding his own out there, how would that be rushing??

the 9 game look is a must for him right now, he has earned that. if the season starts and he buckles then send him down, but if he holds his own in the first 9 games playing meaningful minutes, you think he should still be sent down?

and London must be sooooooo happy right now seeing Bouchard and Boqvist both likely getting at least the 9 game showcase lol....
I don't think he is holding own in every aspect. He is great offensively, but still has a lot to learn defensively. I think he is best served in London for this year, and brought up next year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't think he is holding own in every aspect. He is great offensively, but still has a lot to learn defensively. I think he is best served in London for this year, and brought up next year.
I am not arguing with you at all that he has some things to work on, but if he is clearly better than everyone not named Keith, I have a hard time sending him down if he continues to show he can hold his own in his 9 game trial. He is a young kid, there are going to be ups and downs, everyone should be prepared for it, but if his ups help this team win some games, I think it is going to be a very hard choice to send down seeing how long Murph will be out for and Forsling still banged up.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I was going to try and be generous with the expectations of Manning and not blame him for Stan overpaying him.... but he’s been considerably worse than what I expected, and that wasn’t much.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Manning has been exactly as bad as expected.

It was a terrible signing the moment it was made. The pro-scouting team for this organization needs an overhaul. The amateur and european scouting have been quite good.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Manning ...It was a terrible signing the moment it was made. The pro-scouting team for this organization needs an overhaul. ....

It's funny - in an unfunny way - the Hawk GM locking up 2 years' cap space on, "Mandog!" Puck junkie pensioner that I am, watch a bunch of wintertime games and the 2-3 Philly ones seen last season, the guy did nothing to stand out - except on the negative side, caught pinching or getting turnstyled his own end. If I can see that howTF dint the "smart guy" pro scouts?

And from what I read, Q likes "ManDOG!" but why I have no idea. I honestly don't know what gives. What are they seeing that we Regular Joes obviously don't?

Okay w/ the blue line injuries sure, Manning makes the opening season roster, but only for that reason. Hell, Davison has outplayed Mandog! By a noticeable margin, too.

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
It's funny - in an unfunny way - the Hawk GM locking up 2 years' cap space on, "Mandog!" Puck junkie pensioner that I am, watch a bunch of wintertime games and the 2-3 Philly ones seen last season, the guy did nothing to stand out - except on the negative side, caught pinching or getting turnstyled his own end. If I can see that howTF dint the "smart guy" pro scouts?

And from what I read, Q likes "ManDOG!" but why I have no idea. I honestly don't know what gives. What are they seeing that we Regular Joes obviously don't?

Okay w/ the blue line injuries sure, Manning makes the opening season roster, but only for that reason. Hell, Davison has outplayed Mandog! By a noticeable margin, too.

Call me a negative bastage here, but the only thing I can think of with the Ward/Kunitz/Manning signings in terms of cap impact by Stan and the bromance Q has for them? They know their time is limited here and are trying to salt the earth in their wake.

I was also in Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot land when Eddie O mentioned Q likes what he saw from Manning in the pregame last game. Apparently being responsible for 2 goals against makes you look good.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Here we are in final minutes of October and its already more then clear that Manning deal is one of the biggest blunders in Chicago sports FA in years

I still cant believe Stanley gave him a 2 yr / $2.25M AAV deal

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Here we are in final minutes of October and its already more then clear that Manning deal is one of the biggest blunders in Chicago sports FA in years

I still cant believe Stanley gave him a 2 yr / $2.25M AAV deal

The signing was bad but biggest blunders....come on. Just waive him if we can’t trade him and move on.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm with BWC, it's a stupid contract. I can only imagine Bowman thought Toews would be like last year's Toews and Crow would miss more time, thus making our season dead on arrival and Manning as the final push for Hughes. Otherwise purposely sabotaging the team by signing a waste of space like Manning looks all the worse.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm with BWC, it's a stupid contract. I can only imagine Bowman thought Toews would be like last year's Toews and Crow would miss more time, thus making our season dead on arrival and Manning as the final push for Hughes. Otherwise purposely sabotaging the team by signing a waste of space like Manning looks all the worse.

Everyone agrees it is bad but it not one of the biggest blunders in recent Chicago history.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Everyone agrees it is bad but it not one of the biggest blunders in recent Chicago history.
Biggest blunders, no. I don't agree with BWC on that. But I understand his anger about it.

This is a guy we can't trade, and if we send him to Rockford, we get stuck with dead cap space for this season and the next. All the while Forsling seems to be excelling since returning to Rockford, but Q doesn't want 8 defensemen here, so we're just twiddling our thumbs hoping that he and Bowman will have a change of heart. Otherwise it'll be a long season.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The signing was bad but biggest blunders....come on. Just waive him if we can’t trade him and move on.
SB will not allow that to happen. esp with the salary that SB gave him in a 2 yr contract

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Cam Ward: 3M, NMC
Kunitz: 1M, NMC
Manning: 2.25M 2 years
Rutta: 2.3M

This might have been Bowman's worst offseason

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
hilarious reading this thread and all of us just knowing Manning was absolutely terrible from the get go.

That’s usually the case with Bowman’s moronic yearly signings or trades though, everyone knows what’s coming.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Say what you will, but he had many more good games than bad in Philly. True, he has had some tough ones so far in Chicago, so perhaps an early season change of scenery would help. His advanced stats have actually been better the past three games, but the eye test has been rough.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Around 2Mil/2yr for what's assumed to be a bottom pairing gritty/physical D-man to be used in certain games & situations isn't bad...even if the guy sucks. What sucks is seeing him perform poorly over and over then continuing to play the guy despite the better options. I think he's played in all but 1 or 2 games so far, and 2 or so of those were decent performances.

Point is, a cap hit of 2 mil isn't a make or break contract despite the ridiculous hyperbole. Manning belongs being subbed in for games against slightly slower but overly trap/physical teams and that's it.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

magnificent

Jul 6, 2016
At first, I thought boxcar65 is from Philly, but it seems like he isn't. In my understanding you can be a personal fan such players like Crosby, McDavid, Kane...but Manning? In what world should a person live in?

Anyway, I want to see from boxcar65 more messages, because it's really special.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Around 2Mil/2yr for what's assumed to be a bottom pairing gritty/physical D-man to be used in certain games & situations isn't bad...even if the guy sucks. What sucks is seeing him perform poorly over and over then continuing to play the guy despite the better options. I think he's played in all but 1 or 2 games so far, and 2 or so of those were decent performances.

Point is, a cap hit of 2 mil isn't a make or break contract despite the ridiculous hyperbole. Manning belongs being subbed in for games against slightly slower but overly trap/physical teams and that's it.

You’re not wrong in that its not make or break in a vacuum but its the wrong way to approach team building imo. Every cap dollar has an opportunity cost. They have 9 million dollars locked up in Ward, Rutta, Manning and Kunitz and they can get their production for half the cost with another five million to spend on a quality piece. Point is every dollar adds up. Every move has implications down the road. All these mistakes add up to something meaningful.

They could have Forsling, Davidson, Sikura and Forsberg on the roster with 5 million to spare. Thats a big problem.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
You’re not wrong in that its not make or break in a vacuum but its the wrong way to approach team building imo. Every cap dollar has an opportunity cost. They have 9 million dollars locked up in Ward, Rutta, Manning and Kunitz and they can get their production for half the cost with another five million to spend on a quality piece. Point is every dollar adds up. Every move has implications down the road. All these mistakes add up to something meaningful.

They could have Forsling, Davidson, Sikura and Forsberg on the roster with 5 million to spare. Thats a big problem.

Good Rutta is a fine contract, post groin injury Rutta is another story but that happens. Until the season was lost Rutta had 10+ game stretches of looking really good last year. I didn't like the Ward signing as it was a definite overpayment but it's a one year deal. Hopefully they have a better backup option at a low cap hit by next year.

Reactions: ModryJazyk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->