Player Discussion Chris Kreider: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The personality doesn't fit the body.

And I don't think he's soft or lazy at all. He's a thinker. Yeah, when you're built like a tank, sometimes you should think less, it is what it is.

But at the same time, as you alluded to, he's probably gotten more out of his skillset than what reasonably should have been expected. Part of that is owed to him having a plan out there. Nobody takes into account that he might be worse if he ran around like a chicken. (Howden, Brett)

I think he sometimes overthinks things. He doesn't necessarily have a natural feel for the game, but, I've never bought the "lazy" critique.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I’ve always felt Kreider has been under appreciated Ranger IMO. He was the 19th overall pick and I felt fans held expectations on him like he was a top 3 pick or something. Most players taken at his spot don’t do anything but at least Kreider has been a top 6 player for many years and a good playoff performer. I think his performance in the 2012 playoffs made fans set unreal expectations on him that he was suppose to be a 40 goal scorer or something and anything less was a disappointment or something. I admit he is streaky but I think fans misinterpreted that as being “lazy” when in reality I think he overthinks too much sometimes. Obviously I know he is gonna be traded but it seems like many are not sad about it compared to Zucc or even JT Miller lol

Yeah it’s not about being lazy, that’s a narrative that casual fans who don’t know perpetuate. Don’t think it’s overthinking it either though.

Kreider can disappear at times for a few reasons. 1 because he’s not a special teams player. Doesn’t PK despite his speed and abilities off the puck. He’s usually the guy to serve bench minors and the extra penalty for a teammate. And his role on the PP is to stand in front of the net to tip and recover pucks. So he’s not handling the puck, making plays and getting points on the PP. So if it’s a special teams game with teams exchanging PPO, Kreider can certainly disappear for a long stretch

Second is just his play style in general. His strength is off the cycle, particularly being 1st guy on the forecheck to recover pucks and starting the cycle. Protects the pucks well and makes smart decisions. Sometimes your team just can’t get the forecheck and zone time going. Again in that case, Kreider can sort of disappear.

We know he’s got crazy speeed and he’ll somerikes gets those chances where he blows the zone and streaks down the wing to take a stretch or indirect pass. But despite the speed, he’s not a guy who’s gonna consistently transport the puck over the offensive blue line and make plays happen like Panarin and Zibanejad. He doesn’t have the high end skill and offensive ability those guys do.

I think it’s more fans understanding the player

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
for a guy whos so intelligent and thoughtful, he sure lacks hockey smarts.

hes always been a guy who arrives quickly but once there doesnt know what to do.

look, speed is great. size is great. but lack of the other parts of the game like a high end hockey mind and a pair of hands and you have a really fast brett howden.

for a guy so smart, he can look pretty dumb out there and other times hes just plain invisible.

Reactions: leetch99

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Trade away two of Strome, Buch or DeAngelo.

ill counter with trade away kreider, skjei, fast and Georgiev and keep all 3 of the above.

thats 15 mil saved right there

we will need to replace skjeis minutes with a legit LD for 2 years until miller arrives and can fill that spot. the right side of this defense is set for the next 5 years.

the left side is fine with ryan and libor plus yegor. replace skjei with a LD equivalent of trouba just cheaper. easier said that done but with those 4 theres a deal to be made.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ill counter with trade away kreider, skjei, fast and Georgiev and keep all 3 of the above.

thats 15 mil saved right there
You still need to consider that ZBad will need to be reupped as well. My response was not as to who is being kept, but rather how Kreider can be.
we will need to replace skjeis minutes with a legit LD for 2 years until miller arrives and can fill that spot. the right side of this defense is set for the next 5 years.

the left side is fine with ryan and libor plus yegor. replace skjei with a LD equivalent of trouba just cheaper. easier said that done but with those 4 theres a deal to be made.
An entire rookie left side is nothing but fantasy. And Rykov has not even played a second in the NHL yet. Lindgren has looked solid but I doubt is anything beyond second pairing type. And it is debatable as to what Hajek is or can be.

Saying to replace Sjeki with a left handed Trouba is far easier said than done. You are talking about a legit #2 defenseman. Not that easy to come by.

Reactions: CasusBelli and bl02

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Think about this....we were having the same conversation about Zuccarello last year, does anyone want his contract right now? I said it then and it's the same now, but unless Kreider gives us a steal of a contract he is leaving here.

I don't think many people would want the Zucc contract today. Or the McD contract today. Or the Hayes contract based on what he's doing this season.

Overall, I'd say we've had a much more difficult time saying goodbye to our players over the last two years than I probably would've guessed.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It's funny because we attach such high value to our own players, but then they leave and produce at the same level and we wouldnt want them back because they are just 40-50 point players.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
It's funny because we attach such high value to our own players, but then they leave and produce at the same level and we wouldnt want them back because they are just 40-50 point players.
I’d still welcome McD and Zucc back with open arms — though at slightly lower rates than they currently command. Hayes can stay where he is.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You still need to consider that ZBad will need to be reupped as well. My response was not as to who is being kept, but rather how Kreider can be.

An entire rookie left side is nothing but fantasy. And Rykov has not even played a second in the NHL yet. Lindgren has looked solid but I doubt is anything beyond second pairing type. And it is debatable as to what Hajek is or can be.

Saying to replace Sjeki with a left handed Trouba is far easier said than done. You are talking about a legit #2 defenseman. Not that easy to come by.

This is a very realistic assessment. Even as high as we are on Miller and some of us regarding Hajek nothing is guaranteed that they make it in this league. Plus just a hunch I agree regarding not wanting to ice three very young LD

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Zucc, Hayes, Kreider, Stepan, Callahan, etc... its amazing how many "50 point" players we seem to produce, but we haven't been able to get over that hump yet. Hopefully, Kakko and Chytil change that story.
All the 50 point players but no 80-100 point players. that's why Hank will go home to Sweden without a Stanley Cup on his resume.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
I hope he signs a team friendly 5 year deal. Kreids would be a fantastic 3rd line Winger in the future as the contract ages. Great Depth peace that can move up and down the lineup when we're back in the hunt. It let's Kakko, Kravtsov, Anderson (prob. bye-bye) and Miller figure out where they project and how they fit.

Picks are great but they develop in 3-5 years. Rangers would be better having NHL talent. I hope he's not too greedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad